Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Turkish Drop - how to do?

Hi Ladies,

I love watching dancers who do the Turkish Drop. Do you know what I mean?
    Does anyone knows how I can learn it to myself? I know itīs dangerous... but we dont learn it at school. Or is there a DVD which teaches it?

Thanks for your replys!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is dangerous, but the very first thing you must do in order to know if you can actually do the move in the safest way is:

Sit on the floor, bend your right leg at the knee, then place that foot next to the hip to which that leg is attached. Your foot should be on the right side of your right hip. Do the same thing for the other leg and foot. Are both knees on the ground? If not, find out how to loosen up your hip joints so that your knees are on the ground or just stop here. I wouldn't advise trying T.D. if you are not able to loosen up for this sitting position.

Now lay back until your shoulders are on the floor. Are both knees on the ground? If not, I wouldn't advise doing the Turkish Drop until you've been able to get into this position with both knees on the floor. This is the position into which you drop. I've never done the move because it is impossible for me to get in this position.

I do not know of DVDs which teach this, although I'm sure they exist.
    Last edited by LeylaLanty; 12-03-2007 at 11:39 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I can do the turkish drop.

I can do the turkish drop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rita1969
    I can do the turkish drop.
    Fine. Maybe you can give some advice?

Post Thanks / Like

ouch

Post Thanks / Like

I lack the flexibility to do the Drop. I do know that they're VERY dangerous, and I personally would want personal instruction. My instructor did them for many years as part of her show - she says its one of those situations that you have to commit 100% to - in other words don't do it until you're sure, then DO IT 100%.

She did fine until one night when she didn't commit 100%, she hesitated. "This one's gonna hurt" was her thought as she was in mid-air. Blew out her knee, instant trip to the hospital - I've seen the surgical scar. She's lucky she can still dance - and she doesn't do the Drop anymore.

They *are* spectacular when done well, but don't second guess ANYTHING and get personal instruction from someone who knows it well!

Your BDPD Safety officer:

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I like doing this as well...however I have paid for it with my knees! My advice is, if you really feel it's necessary, do it on a large bed first!! Also use kneepads when performing and practicing.
    Last edited by Brea; 06-11-2008 at 08:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

OKay, isn't there a difference between the big old flying "spin round and round and leap UP in the air and drop" like Cory Zamora and Shabnam Pena do, and the "doing a backbend and gently dropping to the floor" like some Tribal dancers do, or this at about 3:40:

YouTube - Ruric-Amari performs her Sword Dance

Cause THIS is cool, and I think my body could handle doing this.

What's the second drop called, so I know what to look for?

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to do this myself but probably will never try. I think Delilah demonstrates on one of her videos but she doesn't give instuction as she says you need supervised instruction.

Post Thanks / Like

Zorba, I thought that was a Turkish drop

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast