Turkish Drop - how to do?

Yshka

Hi Tesap,

good to hear you're doing well but PLEASE be careful. I've also never done the drop though I can do backbends quite well (but then again not the backbends a la rachel brice where you bend entirely flat backwards lol).

However when sitting I feel uncomfortable and feel in no way safe and loose anough to do either a drop from bend or let alone a Turkish Drop. They look amazing but they're not for me. I haven't worked on backbends in a while too, so sometimes I get a bit stiff'ish and have to loosen up all over again.

I'm glad you have taken the risks into account and are going about this carefully. Please if you can just try to get personal instruction from a live teacher too, maybe in a private session (doesn't have to be your own teacher though, but maybe somebody who knows turkish drops very well).
Please do keep us posted on what your doctor says, I'd be curious to know!

Happy holidays to you too:)!

Marianna

I have done them a lot - twice / weekend, every week for 2 years. (I haven't done it in the past 2 months, though).
I think your knees are the ones at the most danger, but your back can get hurt as well.
I usually felt very comfortable and confident, spun a few times, very fast and then just let go - it felt so good :) I didn't feel anything, which is weird because your body hits the floor, and it looks like it could hurt. But no.
However on the occassions when I hesitated just a split second, I would have bruises on my right knee (really weird, small bruised dots) and the skin would come off of the top of my right foot. My back and head never hurt. There was a few times when my toes kind of curled under, and they hurt a lot - again, on my right foot, I don't know what's going on with that side.

At one party I did the drop (justa couple of months ago) and I truned the opposite way as I normally do, and when I went down my head hit the fllor. I swear I heard a bang and a cracking sound. While I was coming up I was hoping that I won't be dizzy and will be able to finish the show.
Of course everything was ok, and my head didn't even hurt afterwards.

You gotta be careful either way, but you must be confident and able to just let it go for it to work. I could never do it at home, in my livingroom, or at the dance studio. Ina performance I feel the rush and just let it go.

Marianna

Miranda Phoenix

All I can say is, WOW, what a dramatic and daring move.

Brea posted a video recently in a thread called "Some crazy dancing", in which a lady was spinning, spinning, spinning and then just flat out dropped - when I saw it the first time, I was so jolted, I had to replay it. I can easily see how this, done incorrectly, can cause some serious damage. *whew!*

To the OP and all you other lovely ladies who do this regularly - congratulations on your bravery and flexibility! :D

A.C.

Yshka

It's a beautiful move if done right. I just hope to be able to do sitting backbends soon, have been working on that for a long time but I'm just not loose enough to go back all the way yet, and if I do finally get down, I'm not able to get up gracefully. Maybe in time I can do drop from backbend, but if not, I won't be disappointed:lol:. It's just not my thing. The occasional standing backbend is cool for me but no dropping here.

P.s. Auntie Crazy, I love your signature-quote!!!:)

Miranda Phoenix

Thank you, Yshka. The first time I read it (on another forum), I laughed out loud. Then, 'cause it's so totally me, I adopted it. *grin* Cats rock!