Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Middle Eastern movements webpage

Merhaba!

I just wanted to share this page with you guys because its like a belly dancing movement bible online

Movements

let me know what you guys think

Post Thanks / Like

Default Movements

Dear Betsy,
    I am trying to look at this "Movements" site with an open mind, but so far the only thing that has really occurred to me is that this site helps to proliferate the idea that belly dance is all about movement, and also that movement can be learned from the written word alone. Belly dance is not the kind of dance that one can simply categorize in this way. For example the Turks will do the same hip movement in a different way than the Egyptians or the Lebanese, so that the basic concept is the same, but nothing else. On top of that, these explanations make no mention whatsoever of the cultural context or the feeling, or spiritt of any of the movement. The movements alone mean nothing. It is only in the context of the entire picture of the dance that they take on meaning and life and soul.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Betsy,
    I am trying to look at this "Movements" site with an open mind, but so far the only thing that has really occurred to me is that this site helps to proliferate the idea that belly dance is all about movement, and also that movement can be learned from the written word alone. Belly dance is not the kind of dance that one can simply categorize in this way. For example the Turks will do the same hip movement in a different way than the Egyptians or the Lebanese, so that the basic concept is the same, but nothing else. On top of that, these explanations make no mention whatsoever of the cultural context or the feeling, or spiritt of any of the movement. The movements alone mean nothing. It is only in the context of the entire picture of the dance that they take on meaning and life and soul.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Head of BDPD is on duty here!!! LOL. I would agree with Aisha 200%. It can be used a reference site for movement vocabulary but no more than that.

Post Thanks / Like

I still love this picture though http://www.middleeasterndance.homest...chRollDown.gif

I wonder how my stomach would react if I did such a fast belly roll.

Post Thanks / Like

Default awesome!

thank you for sharing!
    Renske
    orientaalsdansen.nl

Post Thanks / Like

well I do take lessons and I have dvds, so I like this site as a reference.

I look at these movements and I ask my teacher about them if I like one or want to try it.

I saw under the dvds section that someone liked to use one as a reference, so I thought I would contribute this site as a reference as well.

I didnt mean to offend anyone.
    Last edited by BetsyPage; 11-30-2007 at 07:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

hi BetsyPage, thanks for sharing. I don't think you offended anyone and I hope you are not feeling offended yourself. Things do get discussed however, which I think is the point of a forum. I think Aisha is stressing a very important issue and because she does that (very often)I, and probably many more, have gotten soo much more insight since I joined. Just be glad that you contribute with something that can be further discussed and not just ignored, because that way we all learn something.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry - I'm with A`isha.

Further, I don't like the explanations - I hope none of my students use them for reference eg 4/4 shimmy "Now straighten the right leg. Next straighten the left leg while bending the right leg." No no no

Post Thanks / Like

Default Site, etc,

Quote Originally Posted by BetsyPage View Post
    well I do take lessons and I have dvds, so I like this site as a reference.

I look at these movements and I ask my teacher about them if I like one or want to try it.

I saw under the dvds section that someone liked to use one as a reference, so I thought I would contribute this site as a reference as well.

I didnt mean to offend anyone.

Dear Betsy,
    I promise that you have not offended anyone here!! We may not necessarily agree on the value of the site, but we think your contribution was quite respectful and that you are a fine human being!!
    (And thank you, Gisela.)
    Regards
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with people hyperlinking to any old part of the site is that they do not benefit from the intended purpose. The site in question happens to be mine and even I agree with A'isha. My intention in posting these movements is not to say here's the moves now anyone can bellydance. This is not what I nor my site advocate. If you enter on the right page. Middle Eastern Dance you will see many different areas in which a dancer can further their knowledge and love of bellydance. Most importantly you will see a button that says "before you begin". This button links to several important pages such as
    the disclaimer
    Disclaimer
    which specifically states that these instructions are not a substitute for a GOOD teacher.
    Basics
    Basics
    which addresses basic posture and also mentions about never locking or fully straightening the knees (I only describe it that way because it is what works for me... as long as one knows straighten does not mean lock it is a perfectly safe technique).
    Use of Site
    UseOfSite
    which explains that this is an educational resource to aid in learning and is meant to be used as supplement to live instructions not as a sole source.

Part of the purpose of the site is to help people discuss technique and movements by allowing them to overcome the difficult hurdles of names. As we all know a single move may have several names. I have put together a Thesaurus (The Belly Dance Movement Thesaurus) in which people can list other names for movements on the site that they recognize. This way if your friend in another state is asking how to perfect her whatever movement but you've never heard that name before then you go to the thesaurus and look it up. If it's not there than you can have them go ahead and read the descriptions in the movement section and your friend can say it's the same as this or that and you could each submit the name your familiar with to the thesaurus so others can more easily reference the same information.

In any event the information is not intended to limit or stifle anyones creativity or undermine cultural importance and influence I highly value these things as well which is why I have mentioned on the site that it is a "supplemental" resource and not a substitute for an instructor. When used correctly this site can be a great benefit to students of bellydance and it already has been. Many people have found it a helpful tool to supplement their classes and videos.
    Last edited by Cassandra_S; 12-17-2007 at 08:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast