Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you for explaining clearly what your intentions were and understanding that no one here meant any malice towards you or your site!
    I particularly like the idea of the thesaurus because it's an idea that we even threw around here in a few threads for the very same reason.

have a nice day!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc.

Dear Cassandra,
    If you are Cassandra Shore, hello, long time no see. I sponsored you many years ago when Aziz recommended you. Talia has moved to my neck of the woods, by the way.
    In the States there is a huge propensity right now for divorcing all other elements of the dance and relying on movement as the sole reason for its being. This is what disturbs me about a movement list that does not include, music, cultural elements, or other aspects of the dance and really strongly reinforce their necessity to the dance's being. It is something that a lot of people are just not getting in their training!
    I know that you are a wonderful teacher because I have taken several workshops with you, but I am not sure that a list of movements is helpful in general, because of the current attitude toward the dance of movement being the only important aspect in order for it to be belly dance.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I'm not Cassandra Shore. Although that is who I studied with for many years. We happen to share the same First name and last Initial so we are mixed up quite often. I believe that this portion of my site has value in the ways that I have mentioned before as being an educational tool used in conjunction with live lessons. At the very basic level you cannot expect someone to fully comprehend the other aspects of every move and every movement does indeed have a physical how to portion to it. This isn't the only importance of the move because the move must be used in accordance with the music and the emotions being portrayed. If you've explored the other areas for the site I think you may find that some of those aspects that are lacking in many of todays classes are something I am trying to provide. That is why there are sections about the music and instruments played. It's an ever expanding site that I continue to add this type of information on to. Right now I'm working on writing up some sections that talk about the different styles that I'm hoping I will get up sometime soon. I'm also building a section on learning Arabic. All things which I think further the development of a well educated and well rounded dancer. There is however, only so much that can be gotten from an internet site and this is something I fully acknowledge on the site itself. As I mentioned in my disclaimer it's not a substitute for an instructor but it does offer valuable reinforcement outside of the classroom. Hopefully those who are using it as supplement are getting the cultural and musical aspects from their instructors as well. Even in a live class there students who only pay attention to the how to and ignore musicality and cultural aspects. However the other main reason for the movements page was to aid in discussing the individual moves. As I'm sure anyone who's been on these various bellydance forums knows when a question is asked about technique for this or that move we read four or five messages with "we call that a..."that's what my instructor call...." I've never heard of that term before but it sounds like what I call a...". Often we find that one name for one move is the same name someone else has for another move. This is why the movement description when used along with thesaurus offer us a means to better communication. I was hoping to get video or animation for the movements listed on the page as well but that's taking longer than I anticipated. Right now instead of a reference with video (like what i intend to do) we scour youtube and tell everyone "it's the move at 4:33 into the clip". I think we probably share very similar goals and ideals about well educated, well rounded dancers we are just differing in our views about how this can and should be accomplished. I choose quite a different approach than you would but, I don't think listing how to do movements plays into the current trend of ONLY learning the how to. It's certainly less harmful than the multitude of bad youtube how-to's. At least when someone is browsing the site there's a possibility they will explore the other sections that offer more than just movement definitions and maybe even locate a nearby instructor with whom they can take lessons.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Movement

Dear Cassandra,
    I do not want to have a huge argument over this, but I do hope you will consider that the person who started this thread only pointed out one area of your site. I am done trying to press my point now and will shut up about it!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, BetsyPage, for posting this link. I am delighted to finally have a resource like this! If nothing else, it certainly helps me understand movements and steps that get discussed here - and elsewhere - that I either haven't learned yet (being a baby belly dancer) or are being referenced by another name.

I can only imagine how much work you've put into this Cassandra - THANKS!

A.C.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12