Belly Dance Flash Card Games

RioDancerCO

Hello Everyone :) I just put together some 'flash cards' with the names of belly dance movements on them and came up with a couple games for my beginning belly dance class to have fun with. The goal is to develop a 'vocabulary' and build muscle memory without practicing one move so long that everyone's attention wanders. So far I have come up with:
Belly Dance Charades
~ split the class into two teams, take turns drawing a movement card, 'act' it out and see if your team can guess it.
Draw-a-Combo
~ pull 3 or 4 cards and have the whole class try to make a combination move out of them. This should help with transitioning between moves and building memorization skills.
Group Draw-a-Combo
~ every person in class draws a card and then gets in a group of 3 or 4 and has to make a combo that combines everyone's card, dance it, then switch groups!

If any of you have more ideas for fun games using these cards, I would love to hear them! <3

Mouse

I really like the idea of bellydance charades, something like that would be ideal for my kids class - well done and thanks for the ideas! :clap:

RioDancerCO

I'd be happy to email the .pdf file for my cards to anyone who wants them. I used the terminology that is most commonly used in my dance group though, so you might find that some of the movement names are unfamiliar :)

RioDancerCO

So I just thought I'd give a little update on the flash cards~ The class I teach is intended to cover basics and needs to be very drop-in friendly. These cards have turned out to be such an awesome tool! I have the class draw four cards at a time. We learn all four movements or if any of them are more advanced, I will teach them the composite movements as well. Once everyone has a decent feel for each move we string them together in a very simple combination which we practice until everyone seems reasonably comfortable with the transitions. This allows every class to be different because we never do exactly the same movements and it keeps the information focused so I don't overwhelm my students with too many new concepts all at once. I am writing down the combinations that we come up with at random so that we can choose our favorites and put them to music when they want to have a dance to present for a student hafla :) I'm so happy to have a 'brainless' way to keep my class on their toes and keep them from unintentionally duplicating my patterns like using lots of locks and undulations or something. This way they have to mix everything in instead of just my less-than-conscious preferred movements :) This also makes it much less stressful if I should ever need a substitute teacher because as long as the dancer is familiar with the terms on the card (and she used to be one of my teachers so that's not a problem!) then all she has to do is be friendly and informative.

RioDancerCO

Hi Girls, I would be happy to send you the card~ just PM me with your email address so I can send it as an attachment :D

Safran

Moon, I love your teacher's idea! I think this kind of cards would also be a great help for practicing at home!

Gia al Qamar

I always say that there's no such thing as a new idea!!! LOL!!!
I've been developing a kind of deck of cards that is something like the flash cards that you're describing...I'm just finishing the artwork and will publish the deck before year's end!
Gia

halimabond

flash cards

Hello Everyone :) I just put together some 'flash cards' with the names of belly dance movements on them and came up with a couple games for my beginning belly dance class to have fun with. The goal is to develop a 'vocabulary' and build muscle memory without practicing one move so long that everyone's attention wanders. So far I have come up with:
Belly Dance Charades
~ split the class into two teams, take turns drawing a movement card, 'act' it out and see if your team can guess it.
Draw-a-Combo
~ pull 3 or 4 cards and have the whole class try to make a combination move out of them. This should help with transitioning between moves and building memorization skills.
Group Draw-a-Combo
~ every person in class draws a card and then gets in a group of 3 or 4 and has to make a combo that combines everyone's card, dance it, then switch groups!

If any of you have more ideas for fun games using these cards, I would love to hear them! <3

Hi There!
I managed to find you on facebook to ask you this already but I'm not sure if you have received my message yet. In the meantime I've managed to gain access to respond to this directly yay! Would you be able to forward me a copy of the flash cards you have created? I'm not sure how to pm on here, but I have written you my email address in your facebook inbox! I would really appreciate it! Thank you so much in advance!!

Best,
Halima

walladah

Excellent idea! Brilliant! Can i have the card or the pdf too?

Thanks so much for the entire idea! it might be also great for group-made choreographies (and how to remember them)....

Jane

Proof that great minds think alike! My class flash cards aren't fancy- just index cards and sharpie :)