What to expect?

Jahzara bint Hana

I'll be starting my very first class next week. What should I expect? The first class is on a trial basis--meaning you pay for the first class only and if you like it, you pay for the rest of the classes (6week terms). I think my main worry is that while I know the basis is "if you enjoy it, go for it", I am fearful that I will be so moved by the music that I may not pay attention to whether I'm being instructed correctly. I just have this thing for music...even after pouring over hours of oriental dance segments on YouTube, I found myself getting up to imitate what I'd just seen...all because the music was in me. I guess it's all about intuition and feeling, but I want to make sure I'm getting my money's worth, ya' know?

Help please! :think:

Kashmir

Mmm- I think other people have posted this before - but it is harder undoing bad technique than learning fresh. If you have picked things up on YouTube and you have a really, really good awareness of what your body is doing and have picked good examples to study and are able to copy accurately - there won't be a problem.

However, expect for the first few months in class to work on underlying technique. You might find this tedious if you can already move. But without good basics you will be limited with what you can achieve long term. A bit like my typing. I've never learnt to touch type but being in the computer industry for over 20 years I can do a reasonable job. Every Christmas break I swear I will knuckle down and learn to do it properly. Trouble is initially doing it correctly is slower so I give up. But - I will never achieve the speed and accuarcy I want unless I do the hard yards. So, if you drift off in the beginning classes because you think you can do it, you'll never be able to fully develop as a dancer and really be able to do it.

Worse, if you've picked up bad habits you will have to break them. Frankly, I have yet to see a self taught dancer who has grasped the essentials. So swallow your pride, and in the long run you'll be the winner. :)

Jahzara bint Hana

Thank you! I'm definitely not prideful here. Just real excited about starting and don't want to get "lost" in the music. If we're going to basically go over the same thing multiple times, that's going to be great for me. Patience has not been one of my virtues (must be my Aries self) HA!

I have never known anyone as excited about learning not just technique but the origin as well. This will be the one of the best things that has ever happened to me. YAY!!!

adiemus

I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed my lessons this year! I am definitely hooked on this type of dance, and even though I am painfully slow at picking things up, I just love the music!! For practicing drills I use some of the really modern electronic ME music, as it's got a very steady beat, and is quite easy to go over and over a movement...
For what it's worth, the biggest surprise and the biggest pleasure (quite unexpected) for me has been the need to learn more about the middle east, and that knowing about the cultural origins of the dance is so necessary, and so enjoyable. it's been a wonderful year of learning for me!