Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Egyptian Style Instructional videos?

So for authentic Egyptian style, who do we like?

1. You all know I love Shareen el Safy, so I'll vote for her instructionals in a heartbeat.

2. Although I haven't yet bought it, I know our own A'isha has an instructional out!

3. I like Habiba's Quickstart and Gawaher set -- Quickstart is the beginner and Gawaher is the intermediate/advanced, with a choreography.

4. Raqia Hassan's technique vids.

5. Mona Said's workshop vid from the ICMED. LOVE this -- it's just demonstrations, but it's SUPER helpful for understanding true Egyptian style.

6. Faten Salama's vids. Anyone have a favorite?

7. Faten Munger's (5 parts now? I think)

8. Nashwa (2 dvds now and a performance show. I love her style.)

9. Little Egypt workshop vids. (I love em, lots of people hate em)

10. Zahra Zuhair's videos (I like her homemade ones better than the IAMED one)

Who else are your faves, and have you run across Egyptian style instructionals that really AREN'T ?? (Billed as Egyptian, but more Western?)

What do we think of Beata and Horacio's Oriental Fantasy videos?
    What do we think of Serena Ramzy's "Visual Melodies" ?

Post Thanks / Like

oh come on -- why so quiet??? I know you all have favorites!!

Post Thanks / Like

I guess to be honest, I learn more about Egyptian dance from watching and analyzing performances.

A'isha's instructional video is very good but very basic in level. Shareens vids are great for the dancer with basic technique under her belt but you already know that. (I will say I was disappointed in her "exploring the drum solo" video).

Those are the only Egyptian instructionals I own. Oh, Mona Said's workshop from 1997 is good but very unorthodox in terms of what we expect as "instruction". I at one time had Hilary Thacher's intermediate level video and I didn't like it.

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

As a early beginner you don't think too much about style (at least I didn't) and it seems to be the Egyptian style teachers DVDs aren't as visible as the others...I dunno...I'm just now getting the interest to pursue the Egyptian style DVDs...(you inspired to get Shareen but it is backordered ) So I can't answer yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone seen Visual Melodies? I'd like to open a dialogue on that.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with alot of who you mentioned. I don't have Faten Munger or Nashwa but it gives me a lovely start. I enjoy Yasmina Ramzey alot and I believe she is egyptian style isn't she? Her Nightclub one is awesome because it helps you understand more about rhythms and dancing to live music
    I thought I was the only one who liked the little egypt videos. I have a bunch of them, some I like more than others but I get something from all of them.
    I also like watching the performance DVD's to see more about how it all goes together.
    Last edited by teela; 12-04-2007 at 05:14 PM. Reason: needed to finish a sentence.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorites are some of the same ones you listed:

1. Shareen El Safy
    2. Raqia Hassan
    3. Yasmina Ramzy
    4. Faten Salama
    5. Aida Nour (my all time favorite), used one of her Little Egypt workshop videos today
    6. Freiz (little egypt workshop videos)
    7. Randa Kamel (little egypt worksop videos)
    8. Farida Fahmy (little egypt workshop videos, great if you are into Reda style, a lot of nice footwork)
    9. Lubna Emam (workshop videos)
    10. Mona El Said (workshop videos)
    11. Dr. Mo Geddawy (workshop videos)
    12. Keti Sharif
    Last edited by Tammy; 12-04-2007 at 06:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Aziyade,
    I'm really interested in the Faten Munger videos. Can you tell me a little about them, like what you liked about the videos? I would like to take some privates lessons from her next Spring or Summer, if I can.
    Thanks!
    Tammy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    My favorites are some of the same ones you listed:
    6. Freiz (little egypt workshop videos)
    7. Randa Kamel (little egypt worksop videos)
    I don't have any from Freiz or Randa -- are there specific ones you recommend, or were there just there for one year?

12. Keti Sharif
    I'm told Keti isn't REALLY Egyptian. I like her advanced A-Z dvd, but alas have never seen her really perform. Would you argue she's a valid Egyptian style dancer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Hi Aziyade,
    I'm really interested in the Faten Munger videos. Can you tell me a little about them, like what you liked about the videos? I would like to take some privates lessons from her next Spring or Summer, if I can.
    Thanks!
    Tammy
    Faten's videos are homemade, and on some of them (especially the Flamenco ones) the sounds SUCKS! Her cane dance (I think it's volume 2 or 4) is really cute, though. I haven't watched those in a long time, but I love to watch her dance. Ill rewatch the Middle Eastern videos I have and see what I think -- I meant to do this a long time ago, I'm sorry!!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast