Best Egyptian Style Instructional videos?

sausanacademy

Premium Member
In that sense, regardless of the validity of some of Sausan's assumptions, I can agree that there IS a logical way to approach the dance, and there IS a sort of code there. The trick is figuring it out.

There definitely IS (not shouting, just making a statement) a code which I refer to as the Egyptian Dance Code. And I CAN (again just emphasizing) prove it.

-Sausan

Irene

Ayizade, that is an EXCELLENT idea about writing to Hossam Ramzy with suggestions for the next DVD (if there is one). I bought the Visual Melodies after having read his commentary on his website and thought that what I would be getting was completely different than what I got. It's nice dancing, but it's not something one would intuitively pick up unless you happen to be especially gifted in that way...and if I was I wouldn't have needed to buy the video.

Total agreement! It's very difficult to get instruction, and it's not what it said it was. When I see the Tabla Solo CDs with all the breakdowns of the rhythms, so helpful and detailed, I wonder why the DVD was not given the same loving care.
Another thing, about Serena's performance. My impression is that she does not have a stage persona, she is technically perfect but so cold that you cannot be interested in what she does. Whereas Fifi Abdou only does a few steps, but she's mesmerizing, because she has SOUL and is wholeheartedly into what she does - a natural. Serena is no natural artist/performer, and if she wasn't Ramzy's wife nobody would know her outside her home country. I was bored.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Irene,
Serena's stage presence is much better in Bedouin Tribal, but I agree that it seems to be very "lacking" in Visual Melodies. I wonder if seeing her dance live makes a difference?

Sausan -- (smily for waving hello!)

Aisha Azar

Teaching DVDs etc.

Dear Gang,
For any beginner, or anyone who wants to know how to really teach a comprehensive course based on fundamental movement, my DVD is good. It deals ONLY with the basic movement as far as teaching and then demonstrates a little bit about where that movement can take you.
I endorse Shareen el Safy for ANYTHING in a DVD. Some people complain that she talks too much, but I would say that they probably will gain really valuable info if they hear what she is saying. We disagree on posture because I see it as more of a dynamic thing than she seems to see it. In spite of this, she is my favorite person to study with. I take classes with her whenever possible.
I believe there is no secret code or anything similar in the dance. I DO believe there is a cultural essence that one must be in touch with if they are going to become an Egyptian or a Lebanese dancer or Turkish dancer, and that each of these cultures has its own feeling because of this cultural essence. It is not a secret; it is there for all to see who are really looking. It is not movement alone that makes each of these styles so clearly what they are, because in reality they share the same movement base. It is what the dancers bring to their dance, of their culture and personality formed by that culture, that gives the dance a feeling of holding some secret or something that can be learned. I am not sure if it can be learned or imitated or not. My opinion on this is that some few people will have "IT" inside themselves somewhere, and that it can be brought out through experience and familiarity and observance and study. Just as I do not have it in me to be a ballerina, or a Hula dancer, or a Lebanese belly dancer, there are people who do not have it in them to be an Egyptian or an American Oriental dancer. I think however, that there are so many choices as to where to go, that most people can find an avenue in the Middle Eastern and fusion dance arts, that most everyone can do something. I had a student some years ago that could not dance her way out of a paper bag, but she IS a phenomenal choreographer! Her body does not cooperate due to arthritis and fibromyalgia, but her mind sees and feels the dance with every molecule. If I had just written her off, neither one of us would ever have discovered that!
Regards,
A'isha

Amanda (was Aziyade)

There definitely IS (not shouting, just making a statement) a code which I refer to as the Egyptian Dance Code. And I CAN (again just emphasizing) prove it.

-Sausan

You know, I've had more people message me on Tribe lately (I think because I have a link and recommendation to your dvds) about your intensives -- you're getting absolutely RAVE reviews and everybody tells me I simply HAVE to attend at least the first one. :)

(You know you've made "converts" of a couple of previously "strictly" tribal gals, don't you? I thought that was pretty cool considering how so often there's a level of animosity between the Tribal and Egyptian camps.)

Please consider putting out those instructional and theory dvds!

sausanacademy

Premium Member
Irene,
Serena's stage presence is much better in Bedouin Tribal, but I agree that it seems to be very "lacking" in Visual Melodies. I wonder if seeing her dance live makes a difference?

Sausan -- (smily for waving hello!)

Smiling and waving hello back. :D:dance:

-Sausan

sausanacademy

Premium Member
You know, I've had more people message me on Tribe lately (I think because I have a link and recommendation to your dvds) about your intensives -- you're getting absolutely RAVE reviews and everybody tells me I simply HAVE to attend at least the first one. :)

(You know you've made "converts" of a couple of previously "strictly" tribal gals, don't you? I thought that was pretty cool considering how so often there's a level of animosity between the Tribal and Egyptian camps.)

Please consider putting out those instructional and theory dvds!

Hi, Aziyade:

Thank you from the depths of my heart for our wonderful post and your candid thoughts. I appreciate them very much.

This past year and some months have been very tumultuous but things are beginning to make sense again. I'm done with the raw footage of the Primary Course for the instructional DVDs, which I will be working on finalizing once the chaos here simmers down a little more. I'm getting a upper hand, but still don't have it completely locked down. Very soon.......:)

-Sausan

Irene

I'm done with the raw footage of the Primary Course for the instructional DVDs, which I will be working on finalizing
-Sausan

This time, dear Sausan, please remember to make them region free so we Europeans don't have trouble seeing them!

sausanacademy

Premium Member
Hi, Irene....

That's very sweet. Hmmmm....Region Free....

I have the capability to make PAL along with NTSC on my Mac. Is that what you mean? I can make any NTSC video a PAL video that is currently on my list. Just let me know what you'd like.... :)

-Sausan

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Sausan,
Region-coding is something different from NTSC and PAL, but I'm not really clear on the specifics. Ask on the bellydancevideos yahoo group -- I'm sure someone there will be able to explain the technology and how to set your dvd burner to do region-free encoding.

imposterpockets

I too have been looking around for Egyptian style instructional dvds and reading reviews. While I think I could deal with bad sound, I don't know if I could deal with the inability to see the instructor, which was complained about in this review of Shareen el Safy's Exploring the Drum Solo. Do you think these problem of inadequate lighting and the instructor not being visible on screen are a fluke with this one DVD or something that is a factor in all of Shareen's material. I'm hoping you have several of her DVDs and can give me the scoop because I am interested if the quality is not as bad as this reviewer describes.