Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Feelings towords our first dance teacher?

Ok I know this is wierd.
    Recently I found out from mates on interent and at Greece that we have mixed feelings toword our first dance teacher.
    So what are your feelings?
    Mine after years and years, are feelings of friendship but same time a sense that was kept for years without proceeding in oriental dance.
    Had to search a lot by my self to move on.

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

My very first teacher must have been a good one, because she taught me all basic belly dance moves in 2 hours and I could do them all (except the camel). But she became sick after half a year and we got another teacher. Unfortunately I don't remember my very first teachers name! So when I talk about 'my first teacher' I refer to the second, because I stayed with her for 1.5 years.
    I do have mixed feelings about this person, she is a great teacher, but she has issues. If you don't have ambitions and don't clash with her personality you are fine and fit well in her class, otherwise, it will be a bit harder. Still classes were nice, but I felt some strange vibes from her. Only later I discovered she was very jealous of me. In the end she made a big fight with me (I was not her student anymore) over a very well paid gig I had (and she would wanted to have instead). After that I have never seen her or spoken to her. Very sad.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

My first teacher is, nearly seven years later, still my teacher. I had a few different teachers for about 2 years when she stopped teaching near me but I was so pleased to be able to go back to her class. She continues to study with Master Teachers all over the world and is very generous with her knowledge. She also knows what she is talking about and has a wealth of cultural knowledge.

I know that I have been taught moves correctly and safely and I have also been taught how to spot dancers who are *not* performing in this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Teacher

Dear GRoup,
    My first teacher was Jodette Silhi, a native of Jordan who danced and sang on the Egyptian cirucit before marrying an American and moving here. I can not thank her enough for the influence that she has had on my dancing, making me want to see beneath the surface to the real meat of the dance, and appreciating it on the cultural level to a deep degree. She taught me that the dance is not only about movement and music and costumes and looking pretty, but also about the soul of a people. I am forever in her debt for anything that I have accomplished that truly uplifts the dance!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

I went through two teachers that I didn't mesh well with before finding my current teacher who I've stuck with because she's wonderful. As far as my first two, one was far too inexperienced to be teaching and one was extremely flaky and showed up for class 30 minutes late and never actually taught me anything. It didn't take me long to move on, but what I did learn from those two people took a bit of time to reverse the damage that was done. Sad but I made it through in one piece

Post Thanks / Like

I like my first teacher very much. I just completed my beginners course ( I know I'm still a beginner now but they call it that way) and unfortunately she became sick towards the end of the course and she still is. We have a substitute teacher now that has had lessons with the other teacher herself as well, so she's younger and less experienced, but I still like her very much. This "second teacher" will continue to teach till the "first teacher" comes back. Although I like the substitute teacher very much and I think she's a good teacher, I hope my first teacher will be ok again soon and come back.

Post Thanks / Like

My first teach - who is still my teacher is Ruby Jazayre - and she knows her stuff. She has two seminars and BIG shows a year and we have dancers from all over come a dance.

I loves her. This is her - and a drawing I did for her.

Post Thanks / Like

My first teacher was truly awesome for the style she did -- Tribal Style...unfortunately, she got me so hooked on the dance that I did a lot of research on my own, and discovered that Cabaret is actually closer to the roots of the dance!

I still hold her in very great regard, but I find that Cabaret style (American cabaret, I guess it is) has captured my heart, soul, mind, and pocketbook.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still dancing with my first dance teacher & I think she's fantastic. She also continues to study with many different teachers around the world. I think one of the main things this has made me realise is that bellydance is a continuing personal journey and that there will always be something or someone to learn from no matter how far down this road I have travelled.

Post Thanks / Like

My first teacher, amazing in the class room and she is a dear friend. She has taken a sabbatical from teaching but I took classes with her from 12 years old until about 23. If she resumes teaching, I would be back in her class in a heartbeat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast