Feelings towords our first dance teacher?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria_Aya

Ok I know this is wierd.
Recently I found out from mates on interent and at Greece that we have mixed feelings toword our first dance teacher.
So what are your feelings?
Mine after years and years, are feelings of friendship but same time a sense that was kept for years without proceeding in oriental dance.
Had to search a lot by my self to move on.

Maria Aya:)

Amulya

My very first teacher must have been a good one, because she taught me all basic belly dance moves in 2 hours and I could do them all (except the camel). But she became sick after half a year and we got another teacher. Unfortunately I don't remember my very first teachers name! So when I talk about 'my first teacher' I refer to the second, because I stayed with her for 1.5 years.
I do have mixed feelings about this person, she is a great teacher, but she has issues. If you don't have ambitions and don't clash with her personality you are fine and fit well in her class, otherwise, it will be a bit harder. Still classes were nice, but I felt some strange vibes from her. Only later I discovered she was very jealous of me. In the end she made a big fight with me (I was not her student anymore) over a very well paid gig I had (and she would wanted to have instead). After that I have never seen her or spoken to her. Very sad.

Suheir

My first teacher is, nearly seven years later, still my teacher. I had a few different teachers for about 2 years when she stopped teaching near me but I was so pleased to be able to go back to her class. She continues to study with Master Teachers all over the world and is very generous with her knowledge. She also knows what she is talking about and has a wealth of cultural knowledge.

I know that I have been taught moves correctly and safely and I have also been taught how to spot dancers who are *not* performing in this way.

Aisha Azar

First Teacher

Dear GRoup,
My first teacher was Jodette Silhi, a native of Jordan who danced and sang on the Egyptian cirucit before marrying an American and moving here. I can not thank her enough for the influence that she has had on my dancing, making me want to see beneath the surface to the real meat of the dance, and appreciating it on the cultural level to a deep degree. She taught me that the dance is not only about movement and music and costumes and looking pretty, but also about the soul of a people. I am forever in her debt for anything that I have accomplished that truly uplifts the dance!
Regards,
A'isha

Aaeesha

I went through two teachers that I didn't mesh well with before finding my current teacher who I've stuck with because she's wonderful. As far as my first two, one was far too inexperienced to be teaching and one was extremely flaky and showed up for class 30 minutes late and never actually taught me anything. It didn't take me long to move on, but what I did learn from those two people took a bit of time to reverse the damage that was done. Sad but I made it through in one piece:)

Moon

I like my first teacher very much. I just completed my beginners course ( I know I'm still a beginner now but they call it that way) and unfortunately she became sick towards the end of the course and she still is. We have a substitute teacher now that has had lessons with the other teacher herself as well, so she's younger and less experienced, but I still like her very much. This "second teacher" will continue to teach till the "first teacher" comes back. Although I like the substitute teacher very much and I think she's a good teacher, I hope my first teacher will be ok again soon and come back.

lacychenault

My first teach - who is still my teacher is Ruby Jazayre - and she knows her stuff. She has two seminars and BIG shows a year and we have dancers from all over come a dance.

I loves her. This is her - and a drawing I did for her.

Suhad

My first teacher was truly awesome for the style she did -- Tribal Style...unfortunately, she got me so hooked on the dance that I did a lot of research on my own, and discovered that Cabaret is actually closer to the roots of the dance!

I still hold her in very great regard, but I find that Cabaret style (American cabaret, I guess it is) has captured my heart, soul, mind, and pocketbook.

Mouse

I'm still dancing with my first dance teacher & I think she's fantastic. She also continues to study with many different teachers around the world. I think one of the main things this has made me realise is that bellydance is a continuing personal journey and that there will always be something or someone to learn from no matter how far down this road I have travelled.

Salome

Administrator
My first teacher, amazing in the class room and she is a dear friend. She has taken a sabbatical from teaching but I took classes with her from 12 years old until about 23. If she resumes teaching, I would be back in her class in a heartbeat.

Safran

I only moved away from my first dance studio half a year ago, so I still ge very well along with my first teachers. They are two women who put a lot of effort into developing the dance culture in their town. And the coolest thing is, that even though I live and work in a different city, they keep inviting me to their events and performances, to make sure I stay in touch!

gwinity

I never really gelled with my first teacher - I don't know why, really, except that (from what I can remember) we were expected to have matered zills AND veils AND floorwork at once without getting the basics down pat.

I absolutely adore my current teacher, however, and will stick with her as long as she'll keep me in her class!

Princess

My first teacher I had 2 of them ...with no one I can managed something..for this I say in some of the topics that will be nice when all teacher will be like Aziza I think is she called !

But I am happy that I am teacher and I love my students ! :)

SarahLH

My first teacher was a wonderful young woman called Keti Sharif. I live in Fremantle in Western Australia and she used to live just down the road from me. She lives in Egypt now - lucky her. She used to encourage us to go to other teachers as well as herself so that we would learn different styles and ways of dancing. This is something that I've always appreciated.

Sarah

teela

My first teacher was actually the owners advanced student who taught the beginning classes for her. She was a really nice person, just the way the school was set up, the first class was working towards learning a specific routine. Each level you went up required you learn a specific routine. I ended up buying what ever video's I could because I wanted to learn more. As a result of most of my teachers, I've always had choreographed routines and am not as good a improvisational but I am getting better.

My very first teacher was Cheryl Pierce (Ziva of the Zuri troupe of Mobile, Alabama ). I only took classes with her for about 3 months, then I had to move. But I have good feelings about her teaching because she taught the basic movements of bellydance in a way that was easy for beginners to understand and I still find her explanations of moves useful today.

sstacy123

Well I really liked my first teacher, I felt like she really knew her stuff but as I've mentioned beause of schedule conflcits I had to change...but I'm really enjoying my new teacher (although they have it set up for 2 six week sessions with a different teacher for each session so I'll have to see how the next one is). I may resume classes with my first teacher in the future.

cathy

I started taking classes with Morocco about four years ago and am still her student as well as Tarik's and Karima Nadira's at her studio. I can't believe how lucky I am because I signed up on a whim, knowing absolutely nothing about any dance form or Middle Eastern music, thinking it would only be something I did for a few months for a change of pace. But thanks to whatever lucky star I have instead I discovered a whole new fascinating and thrilling world and one of the best teachers ever. My feeling in the first class was intrigued and enchanted --but this has grown and as I appreciate her and the dance more, and now my feelings for Morocco are profound admiration, respect, and love. I am so lucky to have found her and I feel like the limits of what I can learn from her are only set by how fast I can absorb it. I love you, Rocky! Cathy

Last edited:

WildFire

To all of you who didn't like their first teachers, what made you stick it out? I personally really admire mine, and she's something to aspire to.

Princess

To all of you who didn't like their first teachers, what made you stick it out? I personally really admire mine, and she's something to aspire to.

My first teachers were 1 from Israel and the other one from Austria ! The one from Israel she was a good dancer but the thing was that I think she has a problem with herself because she was old ! I guss you know what I mean !And the other thing was that she really dont take care of her students! She was dancing just for herself without to pay any atention to the students !
With the other one (from Austria) was much more heavy .Was a thing there wich really shocks me . I wanted to know how it works with the proffesional diplom to becam teacher ! When I asked her to talk with me about she just turn her back to me and go without to tell me something. On her hours I didnt feelt neither good because she make difference between the students ! To me appears like : Ok ,you give me presents (flowers,bla bla..) and you are my best friend !
On other side I have to say that from this I learn how t check with my students !

Lots of Love,
Princess

Status
Not open for further replies.