Hossam Ramzy's Faddah

Yshka

Hi everyone:),

I need your help on something. In a week I'll be dancing to Faddah by Hossam Ramzy in the showcase of a dance project I've been in for a number of weeks. There's different dance styles (modern, ballet, jazz, and we have a guy that is going to add his juggling skills to his dance which will be really cool). I'll be the only Oriental dancer there.

My dancing to Faddah has given me some questions regarding this piece of music I'd like to have cleared up. This might sound weird, but I would like to know this:

1. Was Faddah originally composed by Hossam Ramzy or is there an older version that actually had lyrics? If there is, what were they about and who composed/performed it?
2. From the song title I'd think Faddah means 'silver'. Is that correct?
3. The music has some folklore'y pieces in it, one part consisting of Samahi rhythm, the second part (right after Samahi part) has a more Saiidi feel to me. Am I right on this??

I hope anyone can help. It's a beautiful piece but I'd like to know these things before I dance. As the only bellydancer in the project I want to do justice to the dance and the music.

Thanks!!

p.s. Any additional information on this song is very welcome.

Eshta

Yshka, if you e-mail Hossam through his website I'm sure he'd be happy to help you - I'll PM you a bit later with some background info on it...:D

gisela

Super Moderator
Hi Yshka!
How funny; I have also been working on Faddah this autumn though not on my own, but with my teacher and the class. Very nice routine don't you think?
I assumed it was written by Hossam Ramzy because of the sleeve notes in the cd-cover, but now that you ask I can't say for sure.
Yes it means "silver".
We did a saidi-oriental-feel-dance to that part of the music. I would definitely say saidi. If you get the original cd it has loads of information about the rhythms and other stuff for each of the song. Some of it is quite detailed like "a saidi-like masmoudi" or something. I only borrowed it at the library so I don't have the cover anymore.
Good luck with your show. You'll be a star:D

Tarik Sultan

I need your help on something. In a week I'll be dancing to Faddah by Hossam Ramzy in the showcase of a dance project I've been in for a number of weeks. There's different dance styles (modern, ballet, jazz, and we have a guy that is going to add his juggling skills to his dance which will be really cool). I'll be the only Oriental dancer there.

My dancing to Faddah has given me some questions regarding this piece of music I'd like to have cleared up. This might sound weird, but I would like to know this:

1. Was Faddah originally composed by Hossam Ramzy or is there an older version that actually had lyrics? If there is, what were they about and who composed/performed it?
2. From the song title I'd think Faddah means 'silver'. Is that correct?
3. The music has some folklore'y pieces in it, one part consisting of Samahi rhythm, the second part (right after Samahi part) has a more Saiidi feel to me. Am I right on this??

I hope anyone can help. It's a beautiful piece but I'd like to know these things before I dance. As the only bellydancer in the project I want to do justice to the dance and the music.

Thanks!!

p.s. Any additional information on this song is very welcome.

Hi Yshka:

The information you want is inside the liner notes on the CD booklet. Its an originat composition, therefore, its an instrumental. Yes there is a Sami segment as well as a Saidi. Your instincts were dead on. I too have created a loose choreography on this piece. Good luck with the show

Love and light

Tarik

MisMira

oh.. what is Samahi? i'm hearing this word for first time can someone direct me to some information about it?

Maria_Aya

aaaaaaaaaaa cant find in which cd of Hossam Ramzy is Faddah in.
Can someone pls help me find it?

Kisses (i'm addicted also !!!)

Maria Aya:D

gisela

Super Moderator
oh.. what is Samahi? i'm hearing this word for first time can someone direct me to some information about it?

I learnt the name of this rhythm as Semai Thaqil. It's a 10/4 rhythm (Have also seen it described as 10/8) with a slight emphasis on 1(dum),4(tek),6(dum),7(dum) and 8(tek). That's at least how i was taught to clap to get the feel for it.

What style of dance does this rhythm appeal to? is this some kind of Andalusian/muvashahat rhythms?
Arabic style dance, specifically the semai rhythm is longer and has a more lyrical feel. It's used quite a bit in orchestral arrangements. I think it gives the dancer more depth to mine his/her feelings.
Yasmine