Bellydance Exchange?

Brea

Hi all,

This is a thought that hasn't quite finished itself in my own head yet, so I thought I'd post it and see if there were any suggestions.

Aside from doing a show based on this board, which I am still planning, I was thinking we ought to turn this excellent connection-building tool to our advantage. I enjoy the discussions a lot, but I think we could also try to expand our careers as dancers and the like. So I was thinking: what about a bellydance exchange, or something like it? Sort of like you can do a house swap when you go on vacation. I'm sure there are places everyone would like to dance, and I will be able to offer Honolulu in about two months. I could make a section of my website dedicated to a Bellydance Exchange, and everyone could post a little resume and videos so dancers wishing to swap can see what type of talent the other dancer has.

I am not entirely sure how this would work, but it would give dancers a chance to put something new on their resume when they are on vacation. As I said, the thought just occurred to me and I hadn't quite fleshed it out yet. Are there any suggestions? Would such a thing be completely impossible? If so, is there another way that we might, as a community, help to further each other as dancers? Perhaps some kind of education exchange would be possible (you teach me zils and I teach you mayas, etc).

What does everyone think?

Mya

i think it's a beautiful idea Brea! i hope you can find some way for it to work!

belly_dancer

yes.. I would be open for a discussion on this... my new (trying to do!!) "resolution" is more about focusing on the positive things we can do to further our knowledge.. & this seems like a very positive/PRO active type of idea... bravo Brea!

chryssanthi sahar

I also like the idea a lot:D I will try to offer possibilities for dancers who I know from this forum to give workshops and do performances in my city in Germany (Heidelberg), if they'd like to spend here their holidays. But I have to open my own studio first (as I mentioned in another thread, I'm searching like crazy for a place and I hope to find it until March).
I am myself very interested in giving workshops and doing performances at places where I'd like to go for holiday. I think the best way to arrange something like this is to organize a workshop or performance (or both) for the friend dancer (for which she/he would get paid of course), but she/he would have to pay her/his travel fairs and accommodation by her/himself (well, except if the dancer who is organizing has enough space in her/his house and is willing to give free accommodation to the guest dancer). So what do you think about this idea?

Brea

Hi Chryssanthi-

Yes, this is along the lines of what I was thinking. Something where the other dancer is still there with them as a means of introduction. Definitely paid gigs, and possibly a place to stay...besides then they could dance together or teach each other stuff. Like those learning-holidays. A holiday exchange specific to bellydancers.

chryssanthi sahar

Hi Chryssanthi-

Yes, this is along the lines of what I was thinking. Something where the other dancer is still there with them as a means of introduction. Definitely paid gigs, and possibly a place to stay...besides then they could dance together or teach each other stuff. Like those learning-holidays. A holiday exchange specific to bellydancers.

Yes:D As I already said, I find the idea great and I will surely join the circle of the people who are willing to participate this kind of exchange (especially since I am addicted to travelling, as well as to getting to know new people:D)

adiemus

I can offer a place to stay in NZ, but perhaps not paid gigs... But a workshop? Would be such fun!!

Brea

Hmmm...that is a bit of a problem. I'm not even sure Honolulu HAS paid gigs, as they currently don't have restaurants to dance at. Well perhaps I could offer something else? I still like the idea of an education exchange. I would LOVE to go to New Zealand and do a workshop! Teaching or learning I mean.

Tikvah

Hmmm...that is a bit of a problem. I'm not even sure Honolulu HAS paid gigs, as they currently don't have restaurants to dance at. Well perhaps I could offer something else? I still like the idea of an education exchange. I would LOVE to go to New Zealand and do a workshop! Teaching or learning I mean.

At some point many moons ago, someone was trying to set up a bellydance "couch surf" type thing to help dancers save money when going to workshops and whatnot. I'm currently moving from Minnesota to North Carolina, so I can't offer anything yet :)

Brea

I think it should be for everybody, pro or not. I was thinking maybe something along the lines of 'teach me this and I will give you some housing' or something. I am moving from Minnesota back to Hawai'i Tikveh- I am also in the Cities! Funny that.