flat tummy

bellyqueen

hi there,
i have been learning belly dance for about 1 year now all the belly dancers i have seen all have flat tummys. my question is why dont i have a flat tummy after 1 year of belly dance?
thanks
bellyqueen xx

Hi bellyqueen and Welcome to the forum! Well after, close to six years of dancing I don't have a flat tummy either! But that wasn't my intent. I think we can blame the marketing geniuses for linking Oriental dance as the latest exercise craze with all sorts of promises, the dance wasn't meant to deliver. We all have different body types.
One doesn't need a flat tummy to dance beautifully and express inner beauty.
Yasmine

bellyqueen

hi there yasmine
thanks for your reply i spend all my hoildays in turkey watching belly dancers they are so elegant every one of them had a flat tummy but as you say we all have different bodies so now i understand. thankyou.
belly queen xx

teela

Long time ago, in the late 60's/early 70's I babysat for a family. The wife's sister danced in the middle east and she was always saying you need a belly to belly dance. I"ve been dancing like 7 years and I don't have a flat tummy. I never had a flat tummy growing up and probably won't due to a C-section and two children. I think what happens is that as time passes and you dance, its more that you learn to control the various muscles in your tummy area. Don't worry, i think some people have flat stomachs no matter what and some of us don't.

bellyqueen

hi there,
thanks for your reply. i liked the line you need a belly to belly dance. thanks for your help
belly queen

Moon

Don't worry Bellyqueen, there are a lot of very good dancers who already dance for more than 20 years and don't have flat tummies.
Fortunately it has nothing to do with how well you dance! You can still be very graceful and elegant with more curves.

julia37

i have seen quite a few videos of girls on this site that dance AWSOME and absoutely BEAUTIFULLY ...i dont have a flat tummy either but im just starting out and i am incorporating crunches into my daily routine as well.

I have seen turkish tv where there are women who dont have flat tummys too and they dance beautifully also.

i think its a sterotypical thing that people think u have to have a flat tummy:rolleyes:

Moon

Bellyqueen said:
can i nick your user name i love it!!!

I'm not sure what you mean? I don't think two people can have the same nickname on this forum. But if you want to use it somewhere else, sure you can!

CurlyBellyGirl

I think it depends on what you define as a "flat tummy." I look at BD videos on youtube religiously and it seems that I see more tummies that are not flat than those that are, but then many of the videos I watch are performances and people's own stuff and not made for t.v. necessarily. I think that BD probably memics real life, which is that a small percentage actually have the perfect body, etc.

One thing I actually LOVE about BD is that any size woman can do it and it looks beautiful. Not just skinny ones with perfect flat bellies! ;0

But, if you are looking to achieve a flat tummy, try incorporating different ab routines into what you already do, such as reverse crunches. :)

Shanazel

I looked for, but could not find, a cartoon with the caption, "Something has gone terribly wrong when this (picture of a thin ripped weight lifter of a woman) is sexy and this (picture of a curved, soft belly dancer) is fat."

Can someone else find it? Moon? You are the local genius at finding obscure things online.

PS Most women are supposed to have tummies, according to my husband who has spent half a century checking females out. Also according to this astute observer of feminine pulchritude, girls who jiggle are especially attractive, but any size, shape, or variety of woman has a place in his vision of the ideal woman- he thinks we're all beautiful. (HA HA! And he's mine, all mine!)

Last edited:

adiemus

don't worry Shanazel, my man (with about the same amount of experience in checking out females!!) says the same - and HE'S mine!!!!

Brea

In Suicide Kings, one of the actors asks Christopher Walken, 'Have you ever known a woman like that, that can melt you with a look?' and Walken smiles and says, 'Yeah. All of them.' I love Christopher Walken.

Aside from that, bellies are good for belly dance. I won't say you NEED one because every size can do it, but it is a dance form that favors curves, especially belly curves. My first teacher from Jordan was a personal trainer but she kept her 'pot belly' for belly dance.

Moon

Shanazel said:
Can someone else find it? Moon? You are the local genius at finding obscure things online.
I am? :redface:

Found it back at this forum actually:

Bellyqueen, check this out. Could someone with a flat tummy possibly do that? ;)

Moon

She certainly is! And she's a member of this forum too. If you search "chryssanthi" on youtube you can find more vids of her.