Hello from Indianapolis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noiseman433

I'm Jon Silpayamanant, cellist/vocalist of Indianapolis based mandolin/cello duo, il Troubadore. I don't belly dance (though there are now at least two male belly dancers in Indiana) but do often work with/play for belly dancers (for almost two years now). Anyway, I thought I'd be polite and say "hey!" :D

Noiseman433

Thank all of you for the kind greeting!

Welcome Jon! Took a glimpse at your webpage - you've done some impressive stuff!

Thanks, maariku--we're still a pretty "young" band (even if we've both been playing music for decades) so still trying to make some sort of name for ourselves. It's been such a pleasure playing for dancers though, and there are so few "bands" that do it we thought we might as well start filling that niche, eh? :)

edit--oh, I just realized that I have my personal bio page (which is still in the process of being updated) as the website link--thanks for the kind words!

Noiseman433

Hello, Salome--I just downloaded your vid clips last night and enjoyed your dancing very much!

I think there needs to be more musicians working with dancers--and playing music that dancers like to dance to--it has just always seemed strange to me that more musicians don't do that. Well, to be fair, and since I spent most of my life surrounded by classical musicians, at least "band" type musicians don't seem to be all that interested in working with, or playing music for, dancers of any sort.

Thank you for the kind words, and I hope to learn much through interacting with members of your forum!! :)

Salome

Administrator
Hello, Salome--I just downloaded your vid clips last night and enjoyed your dancing very much!

Glad to hear it, thanks!

I think there needs to be more musicians working with dancers--and playing music that dancers like to dance to--it has just always seemed strange to me that more musicians don't do that.

Amen. I think this will make a good topic, going to start one in the music forum...

Noiseman433

Glad to hear it, thanks!
:)

Amen. I think this will make a good topic, going to start one in the music forum...
Wonderful!!

I think part of my viewpoint is just being spoiled by having a classical music background--where collaborations of all sorts happen with relative frequency--soloists with orchestras, ballet, opera, etc. I hadn't hung around many "band" type musicians until I started doing this current musical project and it has always seemed so, well, to put it mildly--like a "big boys club!"

I guess that was the other thing I got spoiled about--that there are roughly as many women musicians in classical music as there are men, but with bands the ratio is hardly the same. I spent most of my life making music with as many women as men--or collaborating with as many women as men. Constantly playing shows with "bands" is sorta like being at an all males college or something. :p

miss_shimmy

welcome Jon

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.