Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that each group (be they pros, teachers, students, etc.) should be able to carefully rant about other groups.

Something I read that's touched rather close to home has been the negative comments about coin scarves and newbies. I was really, REALLY proud of my first coin scarf. It's stunning, long, iridescent, maroon and black with lots of gorgeous gold coins. It set me back a bit to know that coin scarves are considered newbie accessories that we newbies "eventually grow out of". Yep, even writing that kinda bothers me. I now have several scarves, both coin and beaded, and I still love 'em, but I have to put them on knowing that in some folks' eyes, I'm labeling myself an immature belly dancer. *sniff*

A.C.

Post Thanks / Like

I like my coin scarves- never had one until a few years ago, and I am not exactly a newbie. They aren't meant for professional performances, but they are hardly newbie-brands, either. Haven't you seen all the teaching dvds featuring professionals in scarves?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy View Post
    It set me back a bit to know that coin scarves are considered newbie accessories that we newbies "eventually grow out of". Yep, even writing that kinda bothers me. I now have several scarves, both coin and beaded, and I still love 'em, but I have to put them on knowing that in some folks' eyes, I'm labeling myself an immature belly dancer. *sniff*

Well if those mature folks have nothing better to do than grade other dancers by the hipscarves they are wearing.....

I've got several beaded scarves, one quiet coin scarf I made myself so it would STAY ON and NOT SHED BITS , and one insanely noisy one that's heaving with coins and makes me sound like Santa and all his reindeer, and makes my behind look HUGE . It's fun to shake those coins (and great for practising isolations).

If it looks good (and it isn't deafening the whole class or making them don sunglasses to cut out the glare), who cares if it's "newbie"? IMO people look way stranger when they turn up to classes or workshops in performance style costumes.

Post Thanks / Like

What new dancer doesn't want a hip scarf?

Mine all get themselves one as soon as possible. Idon't always wear one but no way am I gonna spoil the fun.
    I do however advise them if they are going to a workshop that they sometimes aren't allowed or at best to take a quieter variety as a host of mega decible ones can be a real irritation to the instructor and those trying to listen to her/him.
    And when the student turns up at a workshop dressed in her full regalia ( and we've all seen that!), if she's new is it just her fault ? Nooo .....teacher should advise on what and what not to wear at a workshop.

As to discussing students on a forum, teachers do like to share experiences and problems that crop up in teaching but it should be done in a general manner so that a specific student cannot be recognized.
    The problem being there that if a number of students read the discussion, then there might be a case of "if the cap fits, you go and wear it!"
    We often are hurt darts that were NOT aimed at us in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    If it looks good (and it isn't deafening the whole class or making them don sunglasses to cut out the glare), who cares if it's "newbie"? IMO people look way stranger when they turn up to classes or workshops in performance style costumes.
    You are joking ... no I guess you aren't I guess they don't intend to sweat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    You are joking ... no I guess you aren't I guess they don't intend to sweat.
    I was at a very challenging workshop recently where a woman turned up in a beautiful Eman Zaki. She looked gorgeous...until we were put through our paces and all started to sweat profusely. She clearly wasn't a beginner either.

I just spent most of my time thinking "your poor beautiful costume"

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lizaj View Post
    The problem being there that if a number of students read the discussion, then there might be a case of "if the cap fits, you go and wear it!"
    We often are hurt darts that were NOT aimed at us in the first place.
    Ha! Talking of caps, I once read a UK teacher moaning about one of her students online - she was complaining that this particular student had bought one of those crocheted skull-cap-with-fringing affairs and looked really awful, then bought another one because she liked the first one so much. The student would, of course, been able to identify herself. I mean, who *cares*, anyway?!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Curlybellygirl:

I haven't read anyone elses comments on here, but I did read your post.

You know, I think I vented when my teacher wasn't treating everyone fairly in class and speaking badly about other teachers, which I thought was wrong.

We all learn differently and there is one gal in my area who has only been dancing but a few months and she is terrific! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her perform. It was as if this dance was something innate for her!

Most of us struggle and sometimes teachers are asking for advice when they post something that sounds negative on boards when in real conversation they do not sound quite so demeaning.

So, I do understand your worries and dislikes, but this is not meant to be a negative forum. We learn a lot from critiques. Same as an art show.

Just my thoughts and I could be way off base as I usually am :-)

Azeeza

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=CurlyBellyGirl;56618]I have noticed on some of the BD forums that I frequent (not particularly here) that teachers and so-called long timers often post things about their students and/or new dancers that I find somewhat discouraging and/or insulting. I wonder if other newbies have felt somewhat snubbed by teachers and dancers who seem to not value the opinions of new dancers or to think that new dancers have any worth... other than, of course, lining their pockets.

I am a new dancer and read some rather negative comments from people in my area (and possibly the school where I am taking lessons) and even though they were not directed to me or about me, they were still rather hurtful and just discouraging in general since it was not the first time I have seen something like this. It is hurtful to think that I could be going to a class and trying my hardest (and paying for it!!!) and an instructor would come to a forum and complain or rant about something I am doing as if my feelings or wants are not valid because I have only been studying for "x" amount of time.

.[/QUOTE

i understand your view. i do not understand those that snub. for number one reason, if you love what you do and love what you represent you allow the art to speak for itself. those with good intentions will do good by it, those with bad, well you just will not change it no matter how you behave or what you say.

and of course the normal woman gossip-sort of talk, that is not even relevant to dance or work or whatever, i think that is just a very unfortunate female attribute. imo it is the inevitable result of curiosity or mostly insecurity/jealousy.

no matter how you want to sugar coat, rarely do bad or discouraging words come from any good concern or any warm place...truth is if you are new, you have to be welcomed? no. i say do what you love, prove nothing, and time will tell who it is that has put the foot in their mouth.
    Last edited by charity; 12-20-2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason: color change

Post Thanks / Like

and...deep breath

whats up with teachers ranting online? i guess thats fine, but lets get all the students to rant online too. see who is left for you to be teaching now.

how bad would it feel to be sized up by a newbie? pretty damn bad i would think. maybe this is the reason many veteran dancers are so unwelcoming in the bd community. they think newbies look at them and judge them rather than look to them as mentors or learning aides/guides. well i shouldnt try to speak for someone else or try to see a point of view because i am nowhere near there. just speculating, thats all.

oh and about the hip scarf, i never realized that was for newbies. of course it should have been obvious.

but i dont like to use hip scarves so much and i also dont like the idea of getting all dressed up in costume. i like a casual dress that allows you to see the moves just the same as being bare belly. i only have one of these dresses and it has holes in underarms so it is now useless to me. but i have many tops that i just wear over shorts and i'm more comfortable dancing like this anyway.

hmm, no its not proper to complain about paying students but thats just how it goes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast