Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Any other late starters on this forum?

I'm a late starter. I began my first belly dance class, my first ever dance class, 8 weeks after my 43rd birthday earlier this year. I am the oldest beginner in my class and I am older than my instructor and dance partner. It's also been a long while since I learned something new and I am suddenly learning three new things all at once - belly dance, zills and now drumming (the later my drummer husband is kindly helping me with). I am a little envious of the younger belly dancers. What I do have in my favour is that I have always kept in good shape and am not afraid of a little exertion. At my age I am not in the business of wasting my or anybody else's time so I'm setting myself goals and following through. Also, without any previous dance instruction I have nothing to unlearn. I also feel that with life experience I bring something to the dance that a woman can that a girl could not yet. However, I do envy the girls who are starting young. They have no children, their bodies are young and they have time up their sleeve. I would love to perform regularly when I am ready but I fear I may only ever be part of a grandmother's belly dancing troupe. Oh, I just thought of another plus of being older and a mother, being able to dance with my daughters.

Chani

Post Thanks / Like

Yay!!! me too - 43 that is, started two months before my 43rd birthday, and if you're going start the grandmother's troupe - can I be in too?!!!

My daughter was learning to dance with me, but she was being a true 14 year old and misbehaving, so I've stopped her.
    BTW younger people learning may have more time - but we have more fun!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My mum was in her 60s when she started. We live a few hundred miles away from each other, so it gives us something to share. We go on bellydancing weekends together, and at Xmas we do a little choreography together for the family.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I started at 44--six years ago. Danced with a troupe for a while, too. A couple of weeks ago I finally performed my first solo, just after my 50th birthday!

While it would have been nice in some respects to have started earlier (I can't believe I lived in Minneapolis for 20 years and never considered going to Cassandra's school!), I can't waste time on regrets. I figure belly dance found me when I was ready to learn. I have no plans or desire to "go pro", but I have found a delightful, joyful hobby that I can learn new things about and share the rest of my life.

Post Thanks / Like

Make room for another in the grandmothers troupe! I started at 41.

I never had the confidence when I was younger that I have now (OK, sheer bloody-mindedness maybe). I used to think Oh I'm not good enough while everyone else got on with it regardless - now I think well if SHE can have a go/ do a solo/ wear a gorgeous costume, why shouldn't I? I certainly wouldn't have gone off to events on my own in those days.

And I have more disposable income for sparkly things, events, classes and music (not in that order).
    Last edited by Aniseteph; 12-18-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was 44 when I started and its 7 years later. Yes some of us do start later and I was told that we bring life and experience to the dance when begin at an older age.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 41 & a grandma - I started this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Tip View Post
    I'm 41 & a grandma - I started this year.
    You are one young grandma, Q-tip!

Post Thanks / Like

I also started bellydancing at age 44, almost 7 years ago. I have been in 2 troupes since I started and been the oldest by many years in each of them, but I never felt "different" than my troupe sisters...I guess I am lucky that way...we have all formed extremely close friendships, no matter our ages. Besides, even in my advanced age, I am still much more flexible than they are...they tell me they want to be me when they grow up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adiemus View Post
    Yay!!! me too - 43 that is, started two months before my 43rd birthday, and if you're going start the grandmother's troupe - can I be in too?!!!
    LOL - I'm not quite a grandma but I hope to be one day. My eldest is 16yo and I hope he doesn't have a baby just yet.

Chani

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast