Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I feel like I am in good company. Chani

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chani View Post
    Well, I feel like I am in good company. Chani
    You are.

Post Thanks / Like

I am still in my 30s, but in my beginner class, of the 10 or so that were there, 75% were over 40. There is something that being a little older brings to the table, something that is not tangible, but most definately present. Its a...*searches the brain* a comfort with yourself, with who and what you are, that some of the younger dancers do not have. This is different than confidence, though. Have I totally messed this up yet, are are ya'll tracking? I'll see if I cant put something better together. I suppose I could draw you a picture again

(For those that didnt read that thread, I was trying to describe a pestle movement, gave up and drew a picture of it.)

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, am a grandmother, 42, and started only a little over 3 months ago.

And I'm lovin' every minute of it!

A.C.

Post Thanks / Like

I started 10 years ago in January and I'm 61 in Feb. I dance with a tribal troupe as well as teaching ( 2 and a half years) the basics of both Egyptian and ATS.
    As late as this year I have been asked to dance in a restaurant but think it more appropriate ( for me that is) to stick to theatre, festivals and haflas

Better late than never!

And I get such pleasure forom seeing promising students!

My elder grand daughter is showing a real sense of rythmn at 4 years old so maybe she can do all the things I didn't know were out there to do!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 40 soon to be 41 and started this year and it's been a blast!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nightdancer View Post
    I am still in my 30s, but in my beginner class, of the 10 or so that were there, 75% were over 40. There is something that being a little older brings to the table, something that is not tangible, but most definately present. Its a...*searches the brain* a comfort with yourself, with who and what you are, that some of the younger dancers do not have. This is different than confidence, though. Have I totally messed this up yet, are are ya'll tracking? I'll see if I cant put something better together. I suppose I could draw you a picture again

(For those that didnt read that thread, I was trying to describe a pestle movement, gave up and drew a picture of it.)
    Good decisions come from experience, experience comes from bad decisions.

I think older people have lived, loved, learned and lost.
    We have more patience, we understand that life is temporary and if you spend all your time rushing through it you're going to miss some very important things.

We accumulated lots of little victories and we know how to savor them......
    Like the first time my shimmy looked like a shimmy - victory!

just my opinion......

Post Thanks / Like

I have been dancing a mere 4 yrs and started at 53:-) I am totally addicted and wonder why I never thought to do it when younger, I guess there was so much else happening there was no time for much else, now I have time to spare and can give belly dancing my all.

My dance colleagues range from mid thirties to me being the eldest. My Instructor is 47.

I am a grandmother of 4 - 3 girls and a boy. The eldest grand daughter is not interested in BD at all. The youngest granddaughter is only just going on 2.

My 14 yr old son ( my baby) loves some of my drumming music, but shakes his head at the more trad Arabic music:-)

Chani I am also learning drumming .. 6 of us from my class, including my BD instructor are having lessons. We just started this term. I decided to learn because I love the doumbek and I am hopeless with zills. I am kind of hoping that understanding the drum will help with zilling. ... but maybe not and that is OK, I enjoy the drumming for itself as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Mosaic,

I found zills very difficult also and I was thinking the same thing - that drumming may help me there. I'm enjoying it more than I realised but I feel for my neighbours (especially when the kids get playing). There's not much space between houses where I live.

Chani

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chani View Post
    Mosaic,

I found zills very difficult also and I was thinking the same thing - that drumming may help me there. I'm enjoying it more than I realised but I feel for my neighbours (especially when the kids get playing). There's not much space between houses where I live.

Chani
    Same here, we don't have much space between houses also where we have our lessons is at my instructors house as she has her dance studio there, so can you imagine 6 of us going for it, it is a wonder Lindy's neighbours haven't all moved house!

With the zills, I can manage simple rhythms standing still, ( that took a while and a workshop or 2)... but once I move those feet, all is lost, its a bit like trying to rub your tummy and pat your head.. so drumming works fine for me, I have my excuse to stay in one place and concentrate on the hands, and it is quite mesmerising, I also enjoy it!
    ~Mosaic

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12