Any other late starters on this forum?

Chani

I'm a late starter. I began my first belly dance class, my first ever dance class, 8 weeks after my 43rd birthday earlier this year. I am the oldest beginner in my class and I am older than my instructor and dance partner. It's also been a long while since I learned something new and I am suddenly learning three new things all at once - belly dance, zills and now drumming (the later my drummer husband is kindly helping me with). I am a little envious of the younger belly dancers. What I do have in my favour is that I have always kept in good shape and am not afraid of a little exertion. At my age I am not in the business of wasting my or anybody else's time so I'm setting myself goals and following through. Also, without any previous dance instruction I have nothing to unlearn. I also feel that with life experience I bring something to the dance that a woman can that a girl could not yet. However, I do envy the girls who are starting young. They have no children, their bodies are young and they have time up their sleeve. I would love to perform regularly when I am ready but I fear I may only ever be part of a grandmother's belly dancing troupe. Oh, I just thought of another plus of being older and a mother, being able to dance with my daughters.

Chani

adiemus

Yay!!! me too - 43 that is, started two months before my 43rd birthday, and if you're going start the grandmother's troupe - can I be in too?!!!

My daughter was learning to dance with me, but she was being a true 14 year old and misbehaving, so I've stopped her.
BTW younger people learning may have more time - but we have more fun!!!

karena

My mum was in her 60s when she started. We live a few hundred miles away from each other, so it gives us something to share. We go on bellydancing weekends together, and at Xmas we do a little choreography together for the family.

Taj

Yes, I started at 44--six years ago. Danced with a troupe for a while, too. A couple of weeks ago I finally performed my first solo, just after my 50th birthday!

While it would have been nice in some respects to have started earlier (I can't believe I lived in Minneapolis for 20 years and never considered going to Cassandra's school!), I can't waste time on regrets. I figure belly dance found me when I was ready to learn. I have no plans or desire to "go pro", but I have found a delightful, joyful hobby that I can learn new things about and share the rest of my life.

Aniseteph

Make room for another in the grandmothers troupe! I started at 41. :cool:

I never had the confidence when I was younger that I have now (OK, sheer bloody-mindedness maybe). I used to think Oh I'm not good enough while everyone else got on with it regardless - now I think well if SHE can have a go/ do a solo/ wear a gorgeous costume, why shouldn't I? I certainly wouldn't have gone off to events on my own in those days.

And I have more disposable income for sparkly things, events, classes and music (not in that order).

Last edited:

teela

I was 44 when I started and its 7 years later. Yes some of us do start later and I was told that we bring life and experience to the dance when begin at an older age.

Gilana

I also started bellydancing at age 44, almost 7 years ago. I have been in 2 troupes since I started and been the oldest by many years in each of them, but I never felt "different" than my troupe sisters...I guess I am lucky that way...we have all formed extremely close friendships, no matter our ages. Besides, even in my advanced age, I am still much more flexible than they are...they tell me they want to be me when they grow up!

Chani

Yay!!! me too - 43 that is, started two months before my 43rd birthday, and if you're going start the grandmother's troupe - can I be in too?!!!

LOL - I'm not quite a grandma but I hope to be one day. My eldest is 16yo and I hope he doesn't have a baby just yet.

Chani

nightdancer

I am still in my 30s, but in my beginner class, of the 10 or so that were there, 75% were over 40. There is something that being a little older brings to the table, something that is not tangible, but most definately present. Its a...*searches the brain* a comfort with yourself, with who and what you are, that some of the younger dancers do not have. This is different than confidence, though. Have I totally messed this up yet, are are ya'll tracking? I'll see if I cant put something better together. I suppose I could draw you a picture again :D

(For those that didnt read that thread, I was trying to describe a pestle movement, gave up and drew a picture of it.)

lizaj

I started 10 years ago in January and I'm 61 in Feb. I dance with a tribal troupe as well as teaching ( 2 and a half years) the basics of both Egyptian and ATS.
As late as this year I have been asked to dance in a restaurant but think it more appropriate ( for me that is) to stick to theatre, festivals and haflas

Better late than never!

And I get such pleasure forom seeing promising students!

My elder grand daughter is showing a real sense of rythmn at 4 years old so maybe she can do all the things I didn't know were out there to do!

Q-Tip

I am still in my 30s, but in my beginner class, of the 10 or so that were there, 75% were over 40. There is something that being a little older brings to the table, something that is not tangible, but most definately present. Its a...*searches the brain* a comfort with yourself, with who and what you are, that some of the younger dancers do not have. This is different than confidence, though. Have I totally messed this up yet, are are ya'll tracking? I'll see if I cant put something better together. I suppose I could draw you a picture again :D

(For those that didnt read that thread, I was trying to describe a pestle movement, gave up and drew a picture of it.)
Good decisions come from experience, experience comes from bad decisions.

I think older people have lived, loved, learned and lost.
We have more patience, we understand that life is temporary and if you spend all your time rushing through it you're going to miss some very important things.

We accumulated lots of little victories and we know how to savor them......
Like the first time my shimmy looked like a shimmy - victory!

just my opinion......

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I have been dancing a mere 4 yrs and started at 53:) I am totally addicted and wonder why I never thought to do it when younger, I guess there was so much else happening there was no time for much else, now I have time to spare and can give belly dancing my all.

My dance colleagues range from mid thirties to me being the eldest. My Instructor is 47.

I am a grandmother of 4 - 3 girls and a boy. The eldest grand daughter is not interested in BD at all. The youngest granddaughter is only just going on 2.

My 14 yr old son ( my baby) loves some of my drumming music, but shakes his head at the more trad Arabic music:)

Chani I am also learning drumming .. 6 of us from my class, including my BD instructor are having lessons. We just started this term. I decided to learn because I love the doumbek and I am hopeless with zills. I am kind of hoping that understanding the drum will help with zilling. ... but maybe not and that is OK, I enjoy the drumming for itself as well.

Chani

Mosaic,

I found zills very difficult also and I was thinking the same thing - that drumming may help me there. I'm enjoying it more than I realised but I feel for my neighbours (especially when the kids get playing). There's not much space between houses where I live.

Chani

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Mosaic,

I found zills very difficult also and I was thinking the same thing - that drumming may help me there. I'm enjoying it more than I realised but I feel for my neighbours (especially when the kids get playing). There's not much space between houses where I live.

Chani

:lol: Same here, we don't have much space between houses also where we have our lessons is at my instructors house as she has her dance studio there, so can you imagine 6 of us going for it, it is a wonder Lindy's neighbours haven't all moved house!

With the zills, I can manage simple rhythms standing still, ( that took a while and a workshop or 2)... but once I move those feet, all is lost, its a bit like trying to rub your tummy and pat your head.. so drumming works fine for me, I have my excuse to stay in one place and concentrate on the hands, and it is quite mesmerising, I also enjoy it!
~Mosaic