Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Cane!

Post Thanks / Like

Ava Fleming does part of her performance from the Bellydance Live DVD with double cane and it's awesome. Check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

I could double cane or crook twirl two sheeps, a goose, and DaVid too, if he's willing.

Not that I'm bragging or anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I once saw DaVid do a demonstration of double cane. Looked cool.

My instructor likes to tell the tale of the double cane dancer who lost control of one of her cane which flew over the heads of the audience and smacked loudly on the rear wall.

The VERY next dancer came out doing some kind of double SWORD routine, also twirling the swords...

The hall emptied instantly!
    ROTFL!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I absolutely ADORE dancing with a cane. I've done it just a few times in class, but it was love at first sight :o When it's not so crazy around here anymore, I'll have to find some time to practice more, get a DVD or two... I'd be curious to see a double cane dance!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default yey

here too,wow I enjoy dancing with one,to dance with 2 would be super!!

hugs and smiles

miss shimmy
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Post Thanks / Like

I KNOW I have seen a dancer using two canes on an internet vid.
    She was obviously a professional - performing on a big stage, like outside or an auditorium. It was quite dark. Her routine was energetic and exciting, whipping both canes around as she did a back bend - like a swordsman with two swords.
    It was AMAZING.

YouTube?
    Metacafe?
    Google vids?

It's going to drive me CRAZY now until I find it!

AT

Post Thanks / Like

I am teaching cane dance as part of my continuing class this fall, and have been practicing with both hands so I can work up toward using a double cane myself. Unfortunately, I tend to smack myself in the butt when I use my left hand to swing the cane behind my back.

I find that if I take the cane on my walks and whirl it continuously, it eventually becomes second nature and I don't even have to think about what I am doing. I learned this trick from a neighbor who plays old time fiddle- the first time I saw him, he was riding up the road on his horse, playing his fiddle. He said his teacher told him to play the fiddle in all situations to gain confidence and ease. Lest you think I am walking the streets of my town playing with a gold cane, I might mention that I live in a rural neighborhood with dirt roads and large pastures... and neighbors who play fiddles on horseback.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Default Double cane

Tito:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd553DGRO5w

Double cane is a pretty common phenomenon... I dont perform it just yet, but I enjoy practicing it lol.

Iceland - I dont know, I think I'd get pretty nauseas from getting twirled! lol

DaVid

Post Thanks / Like

:eek: Oh my gosh! Thanks for posting this gem, DaVid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shanazel
    Unfortunately, I tend to smack myself in the butt when I use my left hand to swing the cane behind my back.
    LOL! That would be nice for a comedy performance

Post Thanks / Like

Default First class!

I had my first double cane lesson today, so I thought I would share my experience with the forum. First of all, it didn't go as poorly as I thought it would. My instructor was great about being patient. AND I never smacked myself in the back of the head. Actually, I only sent the cane flying once.
    My brain sometimes has a hard time keeping track of a spinning object moving around me while I'm trying to do hipwork and such. Add another spinning object into the picture... I feel like I'm in my first class thinking really really hard and making funny faces just to do a hip drop. I think that if I keep at practicing lots, eventually I will have to think less about the canes and feel better about what the rest of me is doing.
    I'm actually starting to like cane more and more. Has this happened to anyone else? The more I learn the dance, the more I like the feel that accompanies cane. Honestly, when I first started out, I wasn't such a huge cane fan, but I'm getting to like it a whole lot. Any cane junkies out there?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast