Double Cane!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebecca_

Hey everyone! I'm so excited! I just have to share! I found out that my dance class is going to start learning how to dance double cane! I have never seen this danced before. Has anyone else seen double cane or perform/study it themselves? Okay, back to work for me!

Leyla

I've seen a double cane performance in theatre (it was a dance inspired in the dance of the gawazee) and I think also in the web but now I can't remember the right link ...I will search!
I tried one time but I found it quite diffcult to control two canes at the same time and dance too ... but I love this kind of dance! :)

Recnadocir

I think double cane is easy, once one can twirl the cane in either hand, doing two at once is not so hard. Much easier, certainement, than juggling sheeps.

Shanazel

Perhaps you should consider twirling two shepherd's hooks using sheeps for scenery. Once in a while, you could hook up a sheeps and fling it into the audience, sorta like Elvis used to do with his sweaty silk scarves.

Rebecca_

I've even never heard of double cane :confused:
That must be very interesting to watch :)

Honestly, I'd never heard of it either. As soon as I found out that I'd be learning it, I immediately saw myself getting the canes tangled behind my back and smacking myself in the back of the head with the tangled canes.... But nonetheless, yay! What a learning adventure this is going to be... Oh boy.

Moon

shanazel said:
Once in a while, you could hook up a sheeps and fling it into the audience

heheh, you don't want him to get any trouble with the protection of animals, Shanazel? If he would do that, I wouldn't dare being part of the audience (how much does a sheep weigh?)

rebecca said:
As soon as I found out that I'd be learning it, I immediately saw myself getting the canes tangled behind my back and smacking myself in the back of the head with the tangled canes....

LOL!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I once saw DaVid do a demonstration of double cane. Looked cool.

My instructor likes to tell the tale of the double cane dancer who lost control of one of her cane which flew over the heads of the audience and smacked loudly on the rear wall.

The VERY next dancer came out doing some kind of double SWORD routine, also twirling the swords...

The hall emptied instantly!

Moon

My instructor likes to tell the tale of the double cane dancer who lost control of one of her cane which flew over the heads of the audience and smacked loudly on the rear wall.

The VERY next dancer came out doing some kind of double SWORD routine, also twirling the swords...

lol! lol! LOL! Poor sword dancer hahah but I understand the audience's reaction completely

Aaeesha

Ava Fleming does part of her performance from the Bellydance Live DVD with double cane and it's awesome. Check it out.

Recnadocir

I could double cane or crook twirl two sheeps, a goose, and DaVid too, if he's willing.

Not that I'm bragging or anything.

Mariyam

I once saw DaVid do a demonstration of double cane. Looked cool.

ROTFL!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I absolutely ADORE dancing with a cane. I've done it just a few times in class, but it was love at first sight :eek: When it's not so crazy around here anymore, I'll have to find some time to practice more, get a DVD or two... I'd be curious to see a double cane dance!!!

miss_shimmy

yey

here too,wow I enjoy dancing with one,to dance with 2 would be super!!

hugs and smiles

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:)

tim ema

I KNOW I have seen a dancer using two canes on an internet vid.
She was obviously a professional - performing on a big stage, like outside or an auditorium. It was quite dark. Her routine was energetic and exciting, whipping both canes around as she did a back bend - like a swordsman with two swords.
It was AMAZING.

YouTube?
Metacafe?
Google vids?

It's going to drive me CRAZY now until I find it!

:)
AT

Shanazel

I am teaching cane dance as part of my continuing class this fall, and have been practicing with both hands so I can work up toward using a double cane myself. Unfortunately, I tend to smack myself in the butt when I use my left hand to swing the cane behind my back.

I find that if I take the cane on my walks and whirl it continuously, it eventually becomes second nature and I don't even have to think about what I am doing. I learned this trick from a neighbor who plays old time fiddle- the first time I saw him, he was riding up the road on his horse, playing his fiddle. He said his teacher told him to play the fiddle in all situations to gain confidence and ease. Lest you think I am walking the streets of my town playing with a gold cane, I might mention that I live in a rural neighborhood with dirt roads and large pastures... and neighbors who play fiddles on horseback.

Moon

shanazel said:
Unfortunately, I tend to smack myself in the butt when I use my left hand to swing the cane behind my back.

LOL! That would be nice for a comedy performance ;)

Rebecca_

First class!

I had my first double cane lesson today, so I thought I would share my experience with the forum. First of all, it didn't go as poorly as I thought it would. My instructor was great about being patient. AND I never smacked myself in the back of the head. Actually, I only sent the cane flying once.
My brain sometimes has a hard time keeping track of a spinning object moving around me while I'm trying to do hipwork and such. Add another spinning object into the picture... I feel like I'm in my first class thinking really really hard and making funny faces just to do a hip drop. I think that if I keep at practicing lots, eventually I will have to think less about the canes and feel better about what the rest of me is doing.
I'm actually starting to like cane more and more. Has this happened to anyone else? The more I learn the dance, the more I like the feel that accompanies cane. Honestly, when I first started out, I wasn't such a huge cane fan, but I'm getting to like it a whole lot. Any cane junkies out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.