Post Thanks / Like

Default what am i doing wrong.. why do drops hurt the weighted knee?

I have such a trouble with hip drops,, strangely theyre easier to do on the left ( i am right handed),, i get such an ache in the knee that carries the weight,, does this mean im doing something wrong... i also cant seem to get them pronounced as i would like plus i get sloppy if i have to do more than 5 in a row!!!!! So annoying and its my favorite movement.....

Post Thanks / Like

Are you absolutely positively 100% sure that you maintain a very slight bend in the weighted leg? The weighted leg should never be "locked" all the way back. A locked knee is actually hyperextended. It is bad for the knee and makes it impossible to achieve hip drops that look right.

Do you have a teacher who checks and corrects for this? I just ask because I see this as a very common problem for which students often lack self-awareness. Sometimes I will correct someone on this and 10 seconds later they are locking their knee again. I ask "are you locking your knee?" They nod "no" but I'm standing there looking at their locked knee....

There is nothing about a hip drop that should cause pain to the weighted knee. The thigh muscles will start to burn if you lack strength and endurance but the knee is not being stressed, torqued, or impacted.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't help you with the knee pain, except to say I was way out of shape when I started my belly dance classes and, though I've been working on two choreographies that contain hip drops, I've never had a problem in my knees. Since knees heal sooooo slowly, I'd almost suggest that you stop doing these until you can get someone to spot you. You don't want to hurt yourself!

As for sharpness in the movement, a hard, fast squeeze of the glute opposite the hip you want to drop should give you the umpph you're looking for.

Good luck!

A.C.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with sedoniaraqs. There must be no pain in the weighted knee if your stance is correct. I often ask my students to stand on one leg bended knee and hold the leg that the hip is going to move up against the shin of the bended knee leg to make them aware of the stance and also to get the hip move ment up and down plus helps for balance. Make sure that the foot of the weighted knee is pointed forward and not twisted.