Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

At a recent belly dance performance I attended, there was a mother/daughter dance that was adorable. There was not any seductive dancing on the mother or child's part. The costuming was age appropriate as well as the dance moves. They seemed to be having a fun time as it should be for both of them. After viewing some UTube clips on young girls belly dancing, I came to the conclusion that young girls should learn to dance, but not to perform. After watching the mother/daughter dance, I have realized it is ok for a young girl to perform, it is the way the dance is delivered that is important. This is just my opinion and my experiences. What does everyone else think about young girls performing as well as belly dancing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Chelsea wasn't belly dancing, but she sure the heck was doing some kind of dance and I loved every second of it. Thanks for the link, SBG!
    No, she wasn't strictly belly dancing being that she was at Tribal Fest and all , but I loved her fusion and thought it was very cute and age appropriate and that her example can translate well into how younger kids can do all forms of dance. I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

Post Thanks / Like

Holy Crickies! These little girls can dance! I don't find myself horrified by costuming or moves but that may be because it's not my little one out there... Anyone else's thoughts?

Last edited by RioDancerCO; 01-02-2008 at 05:07 PM. Reason: YouTube videos did not embed, just a string of code

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a mother and I do realize that I live in quite a safe country and that the risks could be bigger in the USA or other countries, so my opinions might be different in another context.

Here I have several times seen childrens troupes belly dancing at student recitals and also a 4-year old girl performing solo (improvising!) in a public performance. They all did quite well actually apart from being maybe not so interesting dancewise.
    The only time I was a bit concerned was when I watched 5 teenage girls performing melaya lef in VERY short dresses. They were all so clearly insecure in the roles of cheeky, flirty meleya girls with attitude, that I was uncomfortable watching them dance. I think the teacher should have had better judgement but she must have thought otherwise.

If you must forbid young girls to perform you have to forbid the young boys as well. Don't make it all about just the girls.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Those girls can dance!

I think the reason I didn't feel yucky is they didn't seem to try to be 12 year olds going on 22. They "felt" like (to me anyway) kids who just love to dance and move.

I have only seen a couple of little girls dance. One was really good techniquely, if a bit flat--I think she had been dancing so much she was burned out a little bit.

The other one...well, I kept fearing her top was going to ride up to her neck! I was pretty tense watching her dance. I guess mom had seen her dance in it before, and was confident the shirt wasn't going anywhere...the rest of us were not quite so confident. She kept doing this camel movement over and over, and that shirt would get shorter and shorter. *shudders*

So I think it is great for kids to dance....any type of dance, but I don't like the dances (or "beauty pagents" for that matter) that make little kids look like adults. It always makes me think of that poor Jon Bennea (sp). The pics of this child made up like some 20 year old just made me sick.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

The first dancer Rio posted was quite an awesome dancer. However, I feel it was age inappropriate. Her costuming was nice. But some of her moves struck me as being too seductive. Such as swinging her hair and looking over her shoulder while swinging her hair. Overall, I feel it was inappropriate in parts...I would not let my daughter dance like that.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Rio's second video, She was not as technical as the first dancer, but still quite an impressive dancer. However, the music at the beginning was not appropriate for her age...She should have chosen a fast beat for her whole dance...Also, the hair swinging...I just do not see that as age appropriate...Although, the second video was more appropriate than the first dancer. My question is...Why do we have to have these girls dressed like they are grown women, doing adult moves when they are still children. Children grow up way too fast the way it is...Why not let them be kids for as long as they can be. There is no rush for them to grow up. I do see movements that are just too "Adult" for these two young girls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Phoenix View Post
    Wow! Those girls can dance!

I think the reason I didn't feel yucky is they didn't seem to try to be 12 year olds going on 22. They "felt" like (to me anyway) kids who just love to dance and move.

The first one didn't read as a child at all. On the other hand, I got no "sexy" feeling from her, either. What an amazing dancer she is!

The second one did come off as young, and also not "sexy". She is MUCH better than I am, but not professional-level like the first one.

If we see this dance as a real art (and I do), we need to be OK with kids and teenagers performing it (and I am).

The costumes were OK for a BD competition, maybe even for a mixed-dance competion. But for a "general public" performance, I would not be OK with the costumes in the United States. Maybe other countries, it would be OK. Here there are too many unpleasant assumptions that might hurt the girls.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree with you, da Sage, especially about the first dancer. I forgot early on she was so young and was simply caught by the way she danced. The second little girl made me wonder if she had a serious stage parent somewhere in the background- something about her costume or presentation said "beauty contestant" instead of dancer, despite her skill. I can't explain why- I am not sure myself at this point. My reactions mystify me at times. If I figure it out, I will let you know- but, please, don't hold your collective breath. .

Post Thanks / Like

I posted the first video in the YouTube thread when I first joined.

I really liked it and think don't find anything inappropriate about it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast