kids bellydancing- how appropriate is it

FatimaS

belly dancing children

One girl is 11 years, other for 10 years:)

your young ladies did a wonderful job. my granddaughter (13 yrs old) will be taking her first bellydance class this summer. she is thrilled, as i am. i think our style of dance will only enhance her self-esteem and poise. and as an added bonus, this is something both she and i can share.:dance:

I just don't know...

Movement of all kinds is fun for kids. I feel that the secret of good BD is not
doing the finest technical moves. It is understanding the enormous power and glamor of the body, and being able to rein it in and be in control with an audience. Prepubescent and pubescent children have to go through great changes to reach this level of insight and self-possession, and our job as adults is to shelter them during the transition. IMHO, folkloric costumes and private recitals are the best way to achieve this. Revealing costumes, public performances, and postings on U-Tube may be putting our kids at risk.

Risk is not necessarily exposure to crime: it can also extend to a distorted self-image, a damaged reputation, or a reckless disregard for social norms. A child needs a peer group and social acceptance from a wider slice of society than the world of BD. No disrespect intended: we as adults can juggle multiple realities, but this might be too much to expect of a child.

Hope my thoughts have not offended anyone.
DWB

Eshta

At the Nile festival there were two little girls who particularly stole my heart. One was the daughter of Mohammed Kazafy and what a talented little creature she was, and the other was the daughter of one of the costume makers.

Kazaky's daughter, well I guess you might expect her to be talented, it's fair to say it really is in her genes! I have a fab clip where, during an interval, she leapt up on the stage and did a fabulous improv performance to a sha'abi number.

The other little girl, Sha'at, just loved to dance. Whenever she saw me she would ask me to dance with her just there in the middle of the hallway to whatever music was on!

The weird thing is that it didn't look weird or wrong, like some of those clips on youtube do. Perhaps it's the cultural filter at work. In the same way that I've seen little girls in England dancing & singing along to the PussyCat dolls and it doesn't look perverse, belly dance by little Egyptian girls doesn't look weird.

What I think looks a bit weird are the baby belly dance costumes, but then I find baby bikinis a bit weird too!

My friend is a really talented photographer and he has a lovely photo of a little toddler girl standing alone on a beach as naked as the day she was born, staring whistfully out to sea. A truly adorable picture, he confessed he was actually confronted about why he was taking pictures of naked children :shok:! I know we live in a sick world but it's quite sad that everything has become so cynical and tainted :(.

Safran

At the Nile festival there were two little girls who particularly stole my heart. One was the daughter of Mohammed Kazafy and what a talented little creature she was, and the other was the daughter of one of the costume makers.

Kazaky's daughter, well I guess you might expect her to be talented, it's fair to say it really is in her genes! I have a fab clip where, during an interval, she leapt up on the stage and did a fabulous improv performance to a sha'abi number.

Ow, I saw her dance several times, it was impressive... Especially those hair tosses she did!