sound for a private gig?

RioDancerCO

In an earlier thread I mentioned that I had some very enthusiastic Egyptian ladies come in to watch me dance at the restaurant. On Monday I got a call from one of them asking me to dance for a birthday party this weekend. I'm really excited about the opportunity to experience a new type of venue (for me) but she wants me to bring my own sound equipment and I don't have anything suitable! All I have is an ooold boom box that probably won't put out enough sound. I have an FM broadcaster (used to project mp3's over radio waves) that I thought about using with multiple small stereos but I shudder to think of the potential trouble... Does anyone have any suggestions? I really don't want to try to buy a quality stereo for one gig- I just can't justify the damage to my pocket book! :pray:

Salome

Administrator
Do you have a friend, family member, teacher etc. who would lend you one? If it is in someone's home, maybe they would have a sound system, I'd ask.

RioDancerCO

Hi Salome,
I did ask if there was something available to use at the house and that's when she told me to bring my own equipment so that option is out. I have the word out with my friends and my instructor and I'm waiting for my calls to be returned. *crosses fingers*

Lydia

Hi Rio ,nice that she ask you to come,but she realy supose to arange that if she can not perhaps you can sugest that you rent one but then you have to put up your fee,what about her ?can she not ask someone?Lydia

RioDancerCO

Hi Lydia,
I wondered if the sound equipment arrangements were supposed to be the responsibility of the person doing the hiring or if, as the dancer, that was my responsibility. I didn't even think of renting sound equipment :) I feel a bit awkward calling her back to figure this out. I guess it just feels like something I should have already thought of and because I hadn't, it feels a bit unprofessional. I have no experience of this woman beyond chatting for a few minutes after one of my sets in the restaurant and the one phone call so I don't have a 'feel' for her.

janaki

Hi Rio,

It is useally the client's responsibility to provide you with a proper sound system. Well, this should go in your contract agreement next time!!!. I would go with Lydia's suggestion and hire and negotiate with the lady to pay for it. I don't know if this helps or not. I useally carry my ipod and portable speakers n a mini woofer. They all fit into my hand bag. The sound quality is not bad. They cost me USD40 exculding the ipod of course. It is worth investing in future. I carry this to all my gigs. They also works with portable CD players. Pls keep us posted on how you solved your sound problem and how the gig went.

Good Luck!

RioDancerCO

...Where's a blushing smilie face when you need one... Janaki I'm so new at this type of gig that I only have a verbal agreement with this client. Would you be willing to share your contract with me as a template? I would love to know the things you take into consideration before agreeing to something like this. Also, I am very impressed that you were able to get speakers and a subwoofer for your mp3 player for only $40 USD! You must be quite the shopper :D I'm always reluctant to purchase speakers without some endorsement that they can handle the volume required with some quality. I have a SanDisk/Sansa mp3 player but I'd be curious to know what brand/type of speakers you (or anyone else) have found to work well. Thank you so much everyone for your valuable input!! The update so far is that my roommate is going to come with me as my 'assistant' and help me carry in her stereo which should do the trick. This way I have someone to help me schlep stuff and act as 'security' :D

Lydia

That is not a bad idea that your friend is coming....the next time just keep in mind that you ask if they have a soundsysteem or if they have other artist coming like a dj,so you can use that soundsysteem,or you can tel the geust to ask the catering comp.( if they have 1 for the evening) sommetimes they know where to rent one and just make sure that you include that in your fee...goodluck with the party.....and have a nice evening Lydia

Gia al Qamar

This would be an EXCELLENT time for you to invest in a boom box. Hopefully you negotiated a good price for this job and it will help you pay for a usable boombox that you can cart to gigs.
You have two options.
You can put in your contracts that the client must provide a sound system (which can be VERY risky...as they might decide that a small child's cd player will suffice and could very well not even play your cds!!!) OR you can purchase a good boombox that will be good for home-based parties or small venues where there are 50 or so guests.
I used to carry a very efficent boombox...I used it for class, gigs...but it wasn't loud enough...so...about 2 years ago I finally upgraded to a massive boombox...it's the Sony ZS-H10CP CD Boombox Amazon.com: Sony ZS-H10CP Heavy-Duty CD Radio Boombox: Electronics

It is LOUD, not horrifically heavy, (challenging to sneak into jobs where you're the 'surprise' for the GOH, but still do-able!) and has a great control for sound, bass, outputs for mic and iPod (which I use often!!!) as well as CDs of course. And it's under $200 (this link from Amazon has it at $117 I think with shipping a bit more...I found it at my local electronics store and didn't have to pay near as much). Runs on battery as well as AC.

Gia

janaki

...Where's a blushing smilie face when you need one... Janaki I'm so new at this type of gig that I only have a verbal agreement with this client. Would you be willing to share your contract with me as a template? I would love to know the things you take into consideration before agreeing to something like this. Also, I am very impressed that you were able to get speakers and a subwoofer for your mp3 player for only $40 USD! You must be quite the shopper :D I'm always reluctant to purchase speakers without some endorsement that they can handle the volume required with some quality. I have a SanDisk/Sansa mp3 player but I'd be curious to know what brand/type of speakers you (or anyone else) have found to work well. Thank you so much everyone for your valuable input!! The update so far is that my roommate is going to come with me as my 'assistant' and help me carry in her stereo which should do the trick. This way I have someone to help me schlep stuff and act as 'security' :D

Hi Riodancer,
I am gald that your roomate can come and hlep you!:D. Yes, I will pm you my sample contract. BTW, in HK we get a lot of China made copy stuff really really cheap. If you are careful and shop around, you can get great deals here. If you ever come to HK, pls let me know, I will be your shopping guide.
Hugs

RioDancerCO

Good Morning Everyone :) Thank you all for your wonderful advice and suggestions! This weekend was definitely a success.

Gia al Qamar: Thank you for the information on a stereo! Even if I do not purchase this particular model, I can use the technical specifications to target a stereo that has similar sound output. $100 is totally reasonable for a stereo if I know it is high enough quality :)

Janaki: :pray: Oh I hope I can come to Hong Kong someday! I was supposed to travel there with work this past September but I ended up changing jobs and missed out :( If it ever looks like my long dreamed of trip to China will become a reality, you will be the first to know :) By the way, I love your new avatar something about that picture just looks so elegant...

janaki

Happy New Year Rio,

I am glad that it was a success!!!:dance:
Pls do let me know if you come to this part of the world. I would love to meet you. That pic of mine was taken in our studio xmas party early Dec. I was sitting on the floor near the stage and watching a little girl dance!!! Tks for the compliment.

Hugs
Janaki

Gia al Qamar

Happy to help! My advice is to arm yourself with knowledge and $$$ and your favorite CD and/or iPod and head to the store to shop...crank the volumn...walk around and listen to how it sounds upclose and far away...give it a test drive!
ESPECIALLY post-holidays...you're bound to find bargains!
Good luck and let us know how you make out!
Gia

RioDancerCO

Well, I ended up purchasing this one: Sony Xplod

Ordering it online allowed me to not pay tax and get free shipping. I had to purchase a $17 cable that lets me plug in my mp3 player but now I can play any type of music I could possibly want and I can play it LOUD! I was test driving it in the house while one of my roommates was home and we both nearly had to leave the room to save our ear drums :D It's not tiny, but it has a comfortable handle and it seems to be pretty darn good quality for the price. Thanks Gia for getting me started on the right path!

Gia al Qamar

Congrats!!! Happy to help...you'll find that having your own portable sound system works for classes, workshops, gigs...it'll pay for itself VERY quickly!
Gia