Cruise ships?

Brea

Hi all,

I thought it would be wonderful fun to perform aboard a cruise ship! Does anyone know how to get these jobs, whether they are difficult to get, and yet again, if I would need an agent?

janaki

Hi Brea,

I have performed on the cruise ship. For me it is not as much fun as it seems. I get sea sick and I didn't enjoy dancing there. On top of it you are performing for same people every night. Then again, it is depends on the cruise ship and how long you are away for etc., etc., I don't know about your part of the world but here the stage production companies get us the gigs. Good luck and Happy New Year!

Janaki

Brea

Hi janaki,

Thanks! I have been a deckhand before so I know I don't get seasick (though I do wonder how the ships effect the sense of balance for a dancer!). I have considered going through a talent agency or the like. I don't currently have an agent as most of my work was previously in Hawai'i and I didn't need one there. Dancing on the mainland is much different than dancing in the islands! I am not sure we have specific agents for belly dance here, but I have started the search.

Salome

Administrator
The big cruise liners often have a big dance production but do not tend to hire soloist dance acts though they will hire a soloist to join their team. Typically the way it works is they have a house choreographer. You arrive at the port of departure two weeks prior and that run's group rehearses the show until take off. You absolutely need to have a background in jazz, ballet, latin etc. as you'd be doing their choreography. My brother in-law's talent agency brokers a lot of cruise ship contracts... and I've know a lot of dancers who've auditioned/landed these jobs.

Brea

Hi Salome,

Unfortunately then, I have only a background in solid Jordanian (or whatever that means) Oriental dance. My other experience is mainly with fighting. I didn't know when I was young that I'd want to be a bellydancer...I thought I'd be a cage fighter or a bounty hunter. So I don't have a background in any other styles of dance. That's too bad. I know you are in India now; do you have any recommendations about working abroad? I did read your article on it, so I assume I will have to find myself an agent now that I feel I am a decent enough dancer to make it on the mainland.

Also, I do hope that you will follow the progress of my festival, even if you aren't involved! I am very excited about it.

Salome

Administrator
Dear Brea,

Contracts in 4 and 5 star hotels abroad are prized (the salary, conditions, and security... offered) and it is a small market, comparatively. Also, you are not up for an audition just from the other dancers in your community or state but from the professional dancers of Europe, Russia, America...

Contracting a foreign dancer is a large financial investment on the part of the hotel. They appeal not only to the guests of their hotel but to the city at large and usually charge a hefty cover for folks to see your show. They will not really look at a candidate that has not proven she is a desirable product with a track record of being a draw.

If your experience is limited to bellygrams and restaurant type shows in Hawaii that is not really enough yet to think about moving on to another level. My recommendation is for you to work on your career, in your community, in your state and expand to other states... IF that is successful, moving on to your next goal.

It's important to realize that these jobs are demanding. Do you have the repertoire, props, costumes, music, skills, chops, to perform a 45 to 60 minute show on your own and hold everyone's attention? Use that as a goal to work toward. And yes, you do need an agent as hotels rarely work directly with talent. I do NOT mean to seem discouraging only realistic.

Shanazel

That is really interesting to know, Salome. Are you willing to share with us any of your own journey to international acclaim? I'd love to read an "On the Way Up" article. Or have I just missed what is already posted on your website somewhere?

Brea

Hi Salome,

Yes, I'd love to read that too! The proper course to take, that is, when trying to continue with dance. I have performed in Scotland, Canada, Hawai'i, and different parts of the United States. I have the stamina for a long show for sure, and a large number of costumes. I still feel like I have a lot to learn but I think I will always feel that way about every creative endeavor I engage in. However, I sincerely want to be a career dancer and I am feeling this out as I go. I am starting to realize that you really need to be established in a state for a very long time before you are known well...in Hawai'i it's no problem but it's a lot harder to branch out to other states from there, it being in the middle of the ocean and everything. So yes, any advice is definitely appreciated! I do realize that hotel gigs are prized but I would still like to make the effort for them, much as I would still like to make the effort to get my novels published even though it is difficult.

Last edited:

rita1969

Banned
Cruise ships.

Me and my husband go on cruise ships,they never had belly dancers.
Those kind of dances they dont do. If y ou want to work on one of those ships
you better off learning differnet kind of dances.

Last edited: