Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    I feel like Jimmy Saville!
    24th June, Leeds area. Ozgen - Harem Ottoman style dance . Entrance to the Harem to face the Sultan with veil and the second workshop will be Gypsy dance with Tambourine . (Less exotic and slave in the text promoting this one)
    Are you allowed across the Pennines more that twice yearly for JOY?

I'd cross the Pennines to learn Turkish Rom with my Egyptian tambourine but from what I read about life in the harem with the Sultan , I'll pass.
    I'd have been very good at the political plotting but less so on the seduction, my feminine side is ashamed to confess.
    And I have enough problems facing a hafla or theatre audience with my veil anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Lol Moon, I've always wanted to learn to veildance as a Harem girl, will you PLEASEE come with me when I go abroad to take this wonderful opportunity of studying with the Sultan??

hehe, I've read things about him that were quite good, but as others have said, why resort to selling your dance workshops connected to the Ottoman, Orientalist harem fantasy?

I've not read all the posts but has anyone taken classes with him? Is anyone going to the workshop? I'd love to hear what it's like, as said earlier, it might be a perfectly normal veil workshop.

Post Thanks / Like

He looks very sweaty

Personally, I'm not offended by any of it, I might be pissed if the content of the ws/teacher sucked but not by a title. It might just be a misunderstood pitch, he/they might have thought it implied something other than how the majority of folks seemed to have taken it....or it is exactly what it says on the tin

But I have to play devils advocate and ask why not have a ws dedicated to a harem fantasy?

Fantasy Bellydance - tribe.net

If people want to parade round as birds, mermaids or harem slaves, good luck to them, it'll take some doing to do it well.

I wonder how many people are curious enough now to actually attend?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eve View Post
    He looks very sweaty

Personally, I'm not offended by any of it, I might be pissed if the content of the ws/teacher sucked but not by a title. It might just be a misunderstood pitch, he/they might have thought it implied something other than how the majority of folks seemed to have taken it....or it is exactly what it says on the tin

But I have to play devils advocate and ask why not have a ws dedicated to a harem fantasy?

If people want to parade round as birds, mermaids or harem slaves, good luck to them, it'll take some doing to do it well.

Offended is too strong a word for the way I feel. Surprised is more like it!
    I am just not sure who would be attracted by the idea behind the workshop and I feel that a teacher who has the respect and standing this man has does not really need to go for the nudge nudge wink wink approach.

Then again maybe there are people out there who think yea that's fun let's go for it and mean spirited up yer ar$e types like me who think of harems and slavery as all too real and nasty a concept.
    Maybe it is mewho should get over it but even I first started dancing I was more interested in this dance as a beautiful reality for many men and women
    I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I met up with 15 belly dancers on Sunday and I know without exception they found the whole idea of such a workshop title would put them off completely and I also know them to be a bunch of girls up for a laugh as well as being serious about their dance.
    I spend my time and money on learning aspects of this dance that will improve my technique, my teaching ability and widen my knowledge of mE dance and that wouldn't do it!

Post Thanks / Like

He looks very sweaty

I have no problem with a bit of manly sweat!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

no worries & I don't think you're up your own arse or mean spirited.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123