UK dancers...will I see you

lizaj

at this workshop?;)

11am to 1pm: Turkish Ottoman Dance
An exotic dance inspired by the slave girls entrance to the Haremn to face the Sultan. Please bring a veil

karena

Is this the one with Ozgen? :confused:
I've seen something similar but doesn't sound quite so 'racey'! ;)

Aniseteph

:think: Spooky, I was just reading another thread

....SOMEBODY NAMED (I THINK) YASMINA, WHO GAVE CURT SACHS A LINE OF TOTAL B.S. ABOUT HER BARE-BREASTED "WELCOMING DANCE OF THE SLAVE GIRLS"

Are they by any chance related? :shok:

Sara

Hm... :think: Mebbe it's just me, or my brain which has bin frazzled by writing essays bout Bronze Age Britain... but :think: is this a serious workshop? Actually aimed at belly dancers?

:confused:

lizaj

Sigh. I really am amazed and knew you lot would be also that we are still getting workshops with "come ons" like this. It may end up as a perfectly "normal" veil workshop but why oh why do we have to have the Benny Hill approach to belly Dancing?
It's a day of workshops and I'll tell you I don't know a simgle serious belly dancer in 2008 who would want to attend anything linked to "harem fantasy" .It's no come on but a put-off.
I though we had moved on unless we were very clever at tongue in cheek homour.

Eve

do you have a link? :cool:

If it's encouraging women to feel confident about themselves I see no harm. There's plenty of fantasy bd out there like it or not :confused:

lizaj

Hi Eve
Oh there's not a lot wrong with a bit of fantasy here and there and some would say we are all fantasists wanting to belly dance.
But I think so many teachers and trainers are trying to get away from the "How to dance for your Sultan" image and promote the dance as a serious cultural or fitness activity that this seems out of kilter with all the workshops I have ever attended. I have never seen anything like this in our "neck of the woods", at JoY for example.
Also so many students are like myself are never going to imagine we fit into the slave girl image( or want to!) so I think it is poor marketing.
From what I gather the teacher is an excellent dancer and teacher so why go for a "Carry On Bellydancing..." flavour. ( and I speak as a great Sid James and co. fan)
No it's not all about being serious all the time but this is a real dance from and I fear the old hackneyed Hollywood fantasy thingy does none of us any favours and should be kicked into touch.

Moon

So this is the sultan we have to face?

:lol::lol::lol:

Aniseteph

I guess so!
I don't know what that eye make up is about - way too reminiscent of the swans in Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake for my liking, they were very scary.

Perhaps Ozgen does it to ward off the attentions of hordes of wannabe slave girls... :lol:

Eshta

Hi Eve
Oh there's not a lot wrong with a bit of fantasy here and there and some would say we are all fantasists wanting to belly dance.
But I think so many teachers and trainers are trying to get away from the "How to dance for your Sultan" image and promote the dance as a serious cultural or fitness activity that this seems out of kilter with all the workshops I have ever attended. I have never seen anything like this in our "neck of the woods", at JoY for example.
Also so many students are like myself are never going to imagine we fit into the slave girl image( or want to!) so I think it is poor marketing.
From what I gather the teacher is an excellent dancer and teacher so why go for a "Carry On Bellydancing..." flavour. ( and I speak as a great Sid James and co. fan)
No it's not all about being serious all the time but this is a real dance from and I fear the old hackneyed Hollywood fantasy thingy does none of us any favours and should be kicked into touch.

Absolutely LizaJ. Ozgen is indeed a talented dancer (not sure I've seen him perform 'belly dance' as I know it but he's a very charismatic performer) and from what I've heard an exceptional teacher. Pity the need to resort to the lowest common denominator to plug his workshops. I guess each to their own, and no doubt this descriptive will sell out, to a certain audience.

lizaj

If I lived darn saaf and he was teaching I'd go one of his workshops. I hope Mandy hires him for JoY some time. I've really liked what I see on Youtube and have heard his praises sung by students BUT I am sure you can be light-hearted without this panto approach. I think it demeans what you are trying to do. I went ( no laughing :naghty:) to a burley workshop and it was fun but the teacher was serious about us getting the premise right ( she is anti-fusing it, by the way). I think they are doing themselves a diservice as most students are serious about dancing correctly and not indulging in knock-about.
There is a place for a bit of tongue in cheek and comic opera in any dance form but it needs a skilfull actor/dancer to pull it off. Comedy is hard work. I did a sketch with a friend a few years ago ( actually 3 ) with us as Patsy and Edina belly dancing..it took a lot of time and effort to be funny and dance as well as we could at the same time. How sucessful we were ..folks seemed to like it but who knows.:lol:

Suheir

If I lived darn saaf and he was teaching I'd go one of his workshops. I hope Mandy hires him for JoY some time. I've really liked what I see on Youtube and have heard his praises sung by students BUT I am sure you can be light-hearted without this panto approach
Hmm. I see the organiser of the workshop has replied that it's meant to be "fun, flirty and feminine" - is not the implied premise of the workshop title actually "Which one of us are you going to have sex with?" ? :confused:

karena

If I lived darn saaf and he was teaching I'd go one of his workshops.

I feel like Jimmy Saville!
24th June, Leeds area. Ozgen - Harem Ottoman style dance . Entrance to the Harem to face the Sultan with veil and the second workshop will be Gypsy dance with Tambourine . (Less exotic and slave in the text promoting this one)
Are you allowed across the Pennines more that twice yearly for JOY? ;)