Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a year in a life of a multi-faceted entertainer,
    Very true. I think "belly dancer" is a popular buzz term right now, guarenteed to grab attention, whereas "multi-faceted entertainer" is sort of blah. Would be nice if there was more truth in labeling.

Post Thanks / Like

Anala interviewed Princess Farhana on ShimmyCast and she discussed the fact that she also does burlesque, but how they are two different dance forms.

I understand people's concerns about what the general public thinks, but at the end of the day we have to do what makes us happy. I dealt with people's perception of me for years because I used to wear hijab. There were quite a few people who didn't like that and thought it was a backward practice (both Muslin and non), but it was something I was drawn to and wanted to do. I couldn't let people's misconceptions of it stop me. So it would be hypocritical of me to even think she shouldn't do both dance forms if that's what she so desires.

Post Thanks / Like

But your wearing hijab didn't hurt anyone else, damage their reputation, send misconceptions about other's careers... Not quite the same...

Post Thanks / Like

Tribal Dancer...

Post Thanks / Like

My sentiments, as well; the actions of one performer can affect how other bellydancers are seen in the eyes of the GP.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Princess Farhana is cool! Do your thing girl!!!
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TribalDancer View Post
    But your wearing hijab didn't hurt anyone else, damage their reputation, send misconceptions about other's careers... Not quite the same...

Actually, your assertion isnít entirely correct.

There are many (MANY) Muslims who are embarrassed by practices that are not completely accepted by Western culture and/or non-Islamic societies. When I wore my scarf, certain people accused me of setting Islam and Muslims backwards. In their eyes, I was sending misconceptions about Islam and hurting itís reputation. They had spent so much time and effort to tell people that Islam doesnít require women to wear headgear, and that it was an old and outdated practice etc. and here I was: a walking contradiction to their statements.

So as I said before, I have no right to talk about Princess Farhana. Iíve done what sheís doing. It's not the exact same thing, but it's very similar. Some of the exact same phrases and attitudes used towards me have been used towards Princess F. in the dance community.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Midoria View Post
    Actually, your assertion isnít entirely correct.

There are many (MANY) Muslims who are embarrassed by practices that are not completely accepted by Western culture and/or non-Islamic societies. When I wore my scarf, certain people accused me of setting Islam and Muslims backwards. In their eyes, I was sending misconceptions about Islam and hurting itís reputation. They had spent so much time and effort to tell people that Islam doesnít require women to wear headgear, and that it was an old and outdated practice etc. and here I was: a walking contradiction to their statements.

So as I said before, I have no right to talk about Princess Farhana. Iíve done what sheís doing. It's not the exact same thing, but it's very similar. Some of the exact same phrases and attitudes used towards me have been used towards Princess F. in the dance community.
    I can understand where you are coming from. Over here in Europe (I don't know what it is like in the USA), the headscarf issue seems to sometimes be used to embody a whole anti-Islam discourse. So yes it could be seen to damage the reputation of a whole faith.

Midoria, I find the whole headscarf thing very interesting. Could you recommend any books that give a balanced discussion of it? I have struggled to find anything that isn't totally onesided.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    Midoria, I find the whole headscarf thing very interesting. Could you recommend any books that give a balanced discussion of it? I have struggled to find anything that isn't totally onesided.

It's very difficult to find information that is not biased when it comes to religious issues, especially Islam because it has not undergone any real reform like Judaism and Christianity.

I think I can dig up something suitable for you. PM and let me know exactly what about hijab you'd like to know, and I'll get back to you. Don't want to get too far off topic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia View Post
    I think Princess Farhana is cool! Do your thing girl!!!
    Yasmine
    Me, too. She's straight forward and honest about her duel identity. Compared to what one can view on TV any time of day or night, burlesque is simply funny. The first definition of the word burlesque in Webster's is "ludicrous representation," and I appreciate Farhana's presentation of the joke.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 01-19-2008 at 04:09 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast