Oriental International Belly Dance Festival!!

Brea

Hello all!

The planning for the festival is underway! Please view the website and let us know if you are interested in being involved!

Aisha Azar

Festival

Dear Brea,
Can you give us a little bit more information on those who will be teaching?
Regards,
A'isha

Brea

Hi! I have posted their websites and youtube videos if they were available so you can see who they are.

Brea

Changes regarding the festival:

The location is now going to be Duluth, Minnesota. There are several reasons for this but a ticket into Minneapolis will be just fine, as I will be renting a bus from my company and driving everyone from the airport up the shore. Please let me know if there are any issues or questions about this. I PROMISE this is the final location change! It will be in Duluth, Minnesota, for certain. I am very confident about this show and I think it will go quite well!

To those who are planning to attend, Mya, Tarik, etc: I am considering renting a beach house for all of us to share. If this is something you all are alright with I will go ahead and book it; please let me know if you desire a motel/hotel room for any reason instead.

For those of you looking for information on Duluth, please just ask. I grew up there (KuteNurse lives there as well) and I can give you any information you need.

KuteNurse

Changes regarding the festival:

The location is now going to be Duluth, Minnesota. There are several reasons for this but a ticket into Minneapolis will be just fine, as I will be renting a bus from my company and driving everyone from the airport up the shore. Please let me know if there are any issues or questions about this. I PROMISE this is the final location change! It will be in Duluth, Minnesota, for certain. I am very confident about this show and I think it will go quite well!

To those who are planning to attend, Mya, Tarik, etc: I am considering renting a beach house for all of us to share. If this is something you all are alright with I will go ahead and book it; please let me know if you desire a motel/hotel room for any reason instead.

For those of you looking for information on Duluth, please just ask. I grew up there (KuteNurse lives there as well) and I can give you any information you need.

It sounds like a great time. Duluth is very beautiful in the summertime if the weather cooperates...Hopefully we will have great weather. I am out of town most weekends during the summer at cycle races, but hopefully I will be around...What are the dates Brea? Remember Grandma's marathon is towards the end of June and there will be no hotels available. I can certainly give recommendations for places to stay, eat etc...

Brea

Hi KuteNurse-

Again, for everyone: dates are July 18-20th. I have checked; that is not the weekend of Bluesfest or of Grandma's. In fact it appears as though nothing is happening that weekend at all. I'm going to try to secure Bayfront as a venue, perhaps rent a room at the DECC for the workshops. Still working on it; for those who come and participate I am renting a large beach house on Park Point for you to stay in.

Hope to see you there!

da Sage

Hi Brea,

I look forward to hearing what the costs will be for the Festival, as well as the full list of teachers and workshops. I've been thinking about coming, but $$ is very much a factor these days.

da Sage

KuteNurse

Hi KuteNurse-

Again, for everyone: dates are July 18-20th. I have checked; that is not the weekend of Bluesfest or of Grandma's. In fact it appears as though nothing is happening that weekend at all. I'm going to try to secure Bayfront as a venue, perhaps rent a room at the DECC for the workshops. Still working on it; for those who come and participate I am renting a large beach house on Park Point for you to stay in.

Hope to see you there!

Brea,

Mid to late July is a great time to visitors in Duluth. That was a good idea. Something else to keep in mind might be if enough people come and want to book a room at a hotel, the hotel might give you a room free for workshops. A local school might loan their gymnasium out also for free.

DARN! Unfortunately, that is the week my family and I will be on vacation. We will be leaving July 19th for Chicago IL for superweek cycle races for the entire week from Chicago, IL to Green Bay, WI. Maybe if I am organized, I could do a workshop on Friday and see and meet others. I kinda had a feeling this would happen with cycle races every weekend from late March to late September.

Brea

Hi all,

When I figure out whether Bayfront is interested (the guy who runs it sounds very excited about it, but I'm not going to say for sure until he's committed!) I will let everyone know. Another option I am currently considering is the Sacred Heart music center. We will have to see.

Kutenurse- yes, July is so beautiful here!! I will ask around at the hotels/schools about what they might be able to provide. I am really looking to do this as inexpensively as possible (I don't have a lot of money myself!) so I will be able to provide the best amount of compensation for the dancers without just getting swamped in fees. Any suggestions are also welcome from people in the Duluth area; there may be something I just haven't thought of yet.

KuteNurse

Hi all,

When I figure out whether Bayfront is interested (the guy who runs it sounds very excited about it, but I'm not going to say for sure until he's committed!) I will let everyone know. Another option I am currently considering is the Sacred Heart music center. We will have to see.

Kutenurse- yes, July is so beautiful here!! I will ask around at the hotels/schools about what they might be able to provide. I am really looking to do this as inexpensively as possible (I don't have a lot of money myself!) so I will be able to provide the best amount of compensation for the dancers without just getting swamped in fees. Any suggestions are also welcome from people in the Duluth area; there may be something I just haven't thought of yet.

Could you get some sponsors for the event? They may help provide food and drink and a place for practice etc. Superone foods is always generous for donations although they do not like their name advertised. SMDC or St. Lukes might be willing to do something. If you could get some sponsors, that would alleviate a lot of the cash problem. Good luck.

Brea

Hi everybody,

I have decided to move the Oriental International festival to July of next year (2009). I hope that is all right. I just want to make absolutely sure that everything works out, I have enough money and a good venue. Let me know if that's OK with everyone. Thanks for helping me out and being supportive!

da Sage

Hi everybody,

I have decided to move the Oriental International festival to July of next year (2009). I hope that is all right. I just want to make absolutely sure that everything works out, I have enough money and a good venue. Let me know if that's OK with everyone. Thanks for helping me out and being supportive!

Actually, that will probably work out much better with my finances (sez the girl who just took her change jar to the bank to convert).

Brea

Hi da Sage,

Oh, thank goodness! I want everyone to know that I am very serious about this festival, and I am not trying to vacillate constantly. I just want to make sure that everything goes well and I have a good fund to pay the dancers out of, etc. I guarantee the show will happen, though! I am hoping for Bayfront Park even now.

Please, others involved with the festival, let me know your thoughts!

KuteNurse

Hi da Sage,

Oh, thank goodness! I want everyone to know that I am very serious about this festival, and I am not trying to vacillate constantly. I just want to make sure that everything goes well and I have a good fund to pay the dancers out of, etc. I guarantee the show will happen, though! I am hoping for Bayfront Park even now.

Please, others involved with the festival, let me know your thoughts!

I don't see a problem with it. It takes a lot of time and energy and to plan it well, over a year will be appropriate.

chryssanthi sahar

It is all right for me Brea:D This year it would be difficult for me to participate, although I wanted to, but next year I can make it, if I get the information early enough.

gisela

Super Moderator
Yay, suddenly a possibility to maybe manage a trip overseas! This year would have been impossible to attend though I was positive about it at first.

Brea

Oh, thanks everyone! I am relieved; I didn't want anyone to be upset with me! I really want this to be a stellar event and I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row...

And I personally believe every dancer should be paid in every show, so I am hoping that more people decide to come and participate! I will keep everyone updated as often as I can. Thanks so much for responding!

janaki

Hi Brea,

It is the right thing to do. It takes about one year to plan an event, if you wanna do it right that is. Also it works out for everyone to have plenty of notice. You have made the right decision!!!!

karena

Brea - I was browsing in the Lonely Planet guide to Egypt yesterday, straight to what it said about bellydancing. They mentioned a festival in Cairo that had pretty much the same name as yours. Can't remember any more about it, and obviously the Lonely Planet are not the experts on bellydance, but thought I'd just mention it to you in case