Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by janaki View Post
    Sorry Brea, I am not into snakes, there is so much you can do with bellydance. Why you wanna bring in a poor creature into it? IMO, snakes belong in the wild not on the dance floor. It is ok to do little gimmicks and tricks to make your dance interesting but not with animals.
    Was trying to think what to put, and then saw Janaki had already put it all. I agree too for what it's worth.
    Last edited by karena; 01-06-2008 at 10:09 PM. Reason: can't spell - should be asleep!

Post Thanks / Like

I have bred ('though I wouldn't today), raised, rescued and rehomed snakes from little bitty corn snakes right up to large pythons (part of the reason my family dubbed me "Auntie Crazy"); I would not dance with one, nor would I enjoy watching a show that included one.

Brea, we've talked about our mutual love of animals, so I'm sure you know that reptiles aren't capable of affection. They can become accustomed to certain environments and events, but there's not really any enjoyment factor involved. For me, that nixes performances that use snakes because, in my mind, that's exactly what it would be.... "using" the animal for whatever wow factor was possible.

I dislike other performances that involve exotic animals for the same reason. Zoos, too, for that matter.

In fact, if we got right down to it, I'd ban the sale of reptiles, other exotics, and avians completely, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

A.C.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone,

Yes, Auntie Crazy, I do love animals. I wasn't entirely sure about the snake dancing thing so I thought I'd ask about it. I do know that snakes are not loving pets...I wonder if anyone has ever danced with dogs or cats? Or anything? Still I suppose I can't see in particular what an animal would get out of it.

I do like the stuffed snake joke though...that's pretty funny.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brea View Post
    I wonder if anyone has ever danced with dogs or cats?
    If I pick up my stick to do raqs asseya, my cat runs like the wind! She's had no experience of it landing on her or anything. She must just be wise!

Post Thanks / Like

My aussie will dance at any opportunity, but she wants me to hold her paws so we can do the doggie waltz.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Reptile Gardens, a herpetarium in Rapid City, South Dakota, has a sign in the reticulated python's cage stating that it is the most dangerous of the snakes in the facility due to its quickness, size, and unpredictability. To put this into perspective, I should add that their collection also includes everything from cobras to gabon vipers.

I like snakes, but I dislike seeing dancers use snakes as props. It can be very hard on the snakes and I have yet to see a performance in which a snake actually added anything to the dance beyond a certain phallic shiver factor. If anyone has videos that would change my mind, I stand ready to watch them.
    I agree. Besides, I have an aversion to dancing with anything that could defecate on me at any second!
    But I do have cats now...who are not interested in dancing as much as they are in tangling themselves in my veils and Isis Wings
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I wasn't going to mention the potty factor, but YEAH. And as for dancing with cats- at least once they sink their claws in, you wouldn't have to worry about shaking them loose...ever. The blood might be a problem, though, causing you to slip on the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

I snowboarded a few times with my cat on my shoulders! He died before I began taking bellydance classes but he might actually have enjoyed it. He would never EVER sit on my shoulders though, other than in the snowboarding situation

My "younger" cat (who actually is 13 now) I trained to lie on my shoulders. It was very cute ,but then he became obsessed with lying there, so he tried to climb up all the time, with the CLAWS!!! Ouch! Now I've been living away from him for too many years so he doesn't remember it. It would definitely have been possible to dance with him back then.

sorry for being a bit off topic.
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Default history, mystery, legend or lore?

Depending upon the culture, snakes have a certain history in pagan religions, so it's not a big leap to say they MIGHT have been used in religious ritual.

Herodotus's "flying snakes" aside (LOL) the ancient Baltic peoples revered a snake, and it can be easily imagined that they might have used snakes as part of a religious rite, or as a method of divining the future. For areas with lots of dangerous seismic activity, snakes would often be the first animals to respond to pre-quake earthquakes, and an observant priest(ess) might be able to observe the animal's agitation and forwarn the people of earthquake or volcanic activity.

There's a famous Minoan ivory statue of a supposed Priestess holding snakes in each hand. This has been the inspiration for some dancers to do snake dances. There's an idea of bellydance being associated with ancient pagan rituals -- and an idea of snakes being associated with ancient pagan rituals .... so it's not a big leap to throw them together.

I have a friend who dances with snakes quite a bit. She won't take the snakes anywhere where there's cigarette smoke, or in an extremely noisy environment. She says she can kind of tell if the snake isn't interested in being worn that night (which is pretty much all you can do with them) and she won't dance with a snake who isn't cooperative.

I saw Tiffany Bisconer do this at the Bal Anat show and it was really cool, but basically you can't do a whole lot except some slow movements, and dramatic poses, because you have to be very concerned about supporting the weight of the snake on different points. One dance is cool. Any more than that and it's kind of boring ...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brea, here's my opinion about it:

Dancing with snakes gives a good look, even more "arabian". However, wow do you think the snake would feel standing in something moving all the time, spinning and etc? Snakes are alive beings, not objects like canes, finger cymballs or veils. It is very possible that the snake feel stressed or even scared. Snakes weren't made to be on top of someone dancing. Personally, i'm against it, by the simple fact that we are dealing with an alive being, not a object.
    Last edited by Mariles; 01-15-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast