What are we making now?

nitewindz

Hey Adiemus,

That is a beatiful color. I love the blue/turquoise beading on it. Your are right about attaching beaded fringe. A word of warning, beaded fringe seems to be very delicate and after one show you loose a lot of fringe. I have been there. Now a days I make my own fringe. I make all my costumes. I am planning to make the costume like Samia's in this video. I wanna choose to shades of blue. I am gonna use dark blue velvet for the belt and bra and lighter shade for the skirt. I love the simplicity in this costume. I am planning to add a beautiful crystal appliques on the bras straps and on the in middle centre of the belt. I don't like beaded loops in the belt. When I start my project, I post the pics. Meanwhile goodluck with your new costume.

You tube says this video is no longer available!?!? I wanna see!!!

nitewindz

I am just me Maria, that is my secret. LOL

I love to work with red and black. Couple more of my black and red costume. The one with my drummer has lot of work on the back side. I call this "Butt special". Some one stop me pls! I am so excited and I can't stop posting the costumes.

Please don't stop!! I am fond of strong contrasting colors in costumes. When all the colors are the same or similar it's hard to see movement. When the colors contrast sharply, every move becomes visible. I love the blue and pink!

nitewindz

Hey guys, time for me to show off. These are some of the costumes I created in the past. All are not belly dance costumes! Here we go!!!

LOVE the Pharonic costume, also LOVE the black and pink (black and pink is my current favorite combination!)

nightdancer

Okay, what I am in the process of doing is hacking up a tank top with a shelf bra in it, attaching it, then I will cover the white, mismaching fabric with a lovely turquoise fabric that I have. Personally, I think I'm ruining it, lol, but I have to do something with it. :rolleyes: I dont want to get arrested by my own police force. :D

Ranya

won't work, you cannot bribe me and since I am the PR lad I will make all these dirty bribery stuff public and then you all lose ur jobs in the BDPF!!!!!! :p

nightdancer can you poste some pics when you've done? :)

nightdancer

Okay, but I make excellent cookies, and delicious baked goods...:D

I sure will post when I am done. I expect it to be done this weekend.

Farasha Hanem

This is what I have to re-build. The top is way too small, with no support to it. I'd love some suggestions. I am thinking about taking one of my white tanktops and basically sewing it to the front, then clipping the back into a V and beading that, similar to how some wedding dresses are. The other idea was to corset up the back. But I need to do something with it, my significant other wont let me wear it out of my dressing room right now, :lol:

I love tops like this; the top on the costume I bought the other night is similar to yours, only it's black with gold beading and coins. The color of your costume is gorgeous. :)

I'll post pics of some of the stuff that I'm working on later.

Farasha Hanem

My bed looks like a small bellydance troupe exploded, lol

Okay, it's later (sorry for the double post)! :D :

The first one is a pink veil that I'm going to trim in pink ribbon; the ribbon is very lightweight, and shouldn't interfere with the "floatability" of the material. The second image shows three different materials for some petal skirts I want to try to make. The material in the middle is blue brocade, and has a butterfly print; I bought a sparkly butterfly applique for a belt (not sure yet how to make it). The material to the left is pink (my favorite color). :rolleyes: The next pic is actually a bathing suit coverup with fringe that I'm trimming with coins and gold trim; voila! Instant hip scarf! :D (sorry, can't convert the keyboard to do French agues). The last pic shows a completed project---the veil I'm wearing in my avatar.

I have more material for veils, and various trims for other costume ideas, but wanted to make sure I had enough memory on my camera phone for my costume pic later. :D

Oh, my LORD, how'd my pics get so BIG?!? O.O!!!

Last edited:

KuteNurse

Very beautiful pictures Janaki! And you are as beautiful as your costumes. Thankyou for sharing...You truly have a talent for designing. If I decide to be in the spring program, I am going to have to make my own costume and I am not the best seamstress!

adiemus

What wonderful creativity we have amongst us!! And choice of colours - just yummy. (belly dance troupe exploded - tee hee!!!)
I'm still stitching very slowly the trim onto my belt..sigh.. but once its done will put some pictures up. then I have to do a bra which may be even more fun! I would actually like a reasonably modest choli-style top (not with the open back though), or with a knot in the front. I've just bought some patterns (Kwik Sew seem to have a good range), but then I rarely follow the pattern exactly as I always seem to be 'creative' with design elements.
What about a design your own costume competition? Not even having to sew it, just design it. Would be fun!!!

gwinity

I'm mainly working on some bras at the moment:

A black one covered in iridescent peacock beads
A silk one (converted out of vile puffy gauntlets that came with my stripey silk skirt for those who remember that one. Yes it has been over a year since I've done anything to it)
Altering the beaded bra that came yeterday (see the "altering a bra" thread)

I've also got another skirt still in the making, and I need to fix my wings ASAP (one of the rods got damaged).