Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Suheir, that's a bodhrán alright

Post Thanks / Like

This is cute! I think it's the sort of thing that would read better in person, but it's pretty good onscreen too. I have seen soooo many "style dance-off" bits, and they usually fall completely flat. Props for both the dancers for making this work!

I recently saw a very successful Irish/bellydance solo at a local hafla. Everyone was absolutely transfixed. That performance cinched my assessment that the dancer is hands-down the sexiest dancer in town. Seriously, the girl's got it. And anyone who can pull something like that off is a fabulous recruit to any dance discipline, also.

Post Thanks / Like

I rather liked it as well. It seemed to be a different take on the old trick of giving an audience member a drum and then move to whatever they play. Of course, while I like to watch things like Riverdance, I know absolutely NOTHING about it....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Phoenix View Post
    I rather liked it as well. It seemed to be a different take on the old trick of giving an audience member a drum and then move to whatever they play. Of course, while I like to watch things like Riverdance, I know absolutely NOTHING about it....

Seriously? I have never seen this trick. Sounds like a dangerous game!

Post Thanks / Like

I found it just boring
    I'm a huge fan of Irish dance and had all the Mike Flatley DVD's before having Bellydance DVD's (was living for 5 years with the old VHS of Nelly-Hannan-Mona el Said lol).
    I've seen them also live twice and they were amazing
    Yes i agree that its poor for both dance forms and also dont get so much the idea.
    I would like to see more action, a fight between the dancers and each one be at their best in their dance form.

maria aya

Post Thanks / Like

Here's our attempt at Celtic belly dance from a few months ago... it was fun but we had a postage stamp's worth of space to dance on stage. The number is actually quite striking when we can get far enough from each other so as to not knock each other out..

YouTube - Mother Grove and Midnight Tribe @ Ballydoyle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Call off the BOBS- I think these folks were just having fun. Somewhere there is a dance duet with a flamenco dancer and a belly dancer that was a beautiful fusion. I think these folks were attempting to do something similar, but in a humorous manner and without quite as much success.

Oh, and the fights you will hear re: Riverdance has perverted the old Irish step dance v. Riverdance is brilliantly innovative...
    Agreed...no problem They both knew what they were doing..that's what matters and let's face it the gP might enjoy it. It's not always about suiting other belly dancers/Irish dancers!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brea View Post
    YouTube - belly dance from Celtic fire show

SO bizarre.

I agree with you A'isha. I do combine my two loves (Scotland and bellydance) frequently, but never like this. I think it detracts and confuses two things that are already so sadly misunderstood. That said, based on the misunderstandings/romanticization so many people have about both, there's nothing more popular than a 'Celtic' bellydance. This just brings up so many arguments in my mind, the first of which is: Picts aren't Celts. Two different things. I'll stop now before I go on a long historical and cultural rant about Scotland.

Brea ,when are you coming to visit us over here...you need a bit of good Scots air to get your blood racing?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Brea; 05-15-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12