Bellydancing and irish stepdance:)

Khaira

A great idea and a lovely short result.

First I thought she will transform into an irish dancer at some point, then the male dancer emerged. Then I though she was repeating the same rhythms he started in scilence but the timing didn't match. And finally my expectations came true, both of them a little fun over the other and came to a happy end.

It's really entertaining, have a look:

YouTube - avigail klein belly&irish dance

Aisha Azar

Irish, etc.

Dear Khaira,
...... I guess I have to say that I don't get it. I felt that what happened on the stage did not do justice to any part of either Middle Eastern or Irish dance or music... It was all just a sort of mish-mosh to me with nothing standing out as really good....Maybe I am just having a BOB attack.
Regards,
A'isha

Brea

YouTube - belly dance from Celtic fire show

SO bizarre.

I agree with you A'isha. I do combine my two loves (Scotland and bellydance) frequently, but never like this. I think it detracts and confuses two things that are already so sadly misunderstood. That said, based on the misunderstandings/romanticization so many people have about both, there's nothing more popular than a 'Celtic' bellydance. This just brings up so many arguments in my mind, the first of which is: Picts aren't Celts. Two different things. I'll stop now before I go on a long historical and cultural rant about Scotland. :)

Last edited:

Sara

Heyas,

Well mebbers I can shed some light. Based on my love of Riverdance and Lord of the Dance, the Celtic shows created by Mike Flatley tend to represent the movement and lives of the Irish people. In Riverdance he had a flamenco dancer to represent the sun and fire and passion or something. And in the Cletic tiger or whatever it is now, there is a lot of influence from other cultures.

I must agree though, this to me was a bit :think::think::think::think: I don't get it either. I once saw this veil dance to irish music and dint know what to think. I dunt think this show is by Mike Flatley either, lol. Hmmm...

Aisha Azar

Dance

Dear Sara,
Riverdance had some meaning in that it was rather the story of the Irish people and other influences in their lives. This was also explained in the program, etc. There was continuity and intelligence behind what Flatly and the others created and things were out together with purpose, not just because, as the opening clip here seemed to be. Fusion should be done with special care in order to show its continuance of the things that came before, or to create something entirely new. Neither of these things was accomplished and all elements of the fusion were somehow diminished.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

Call off the BOBS- I think these folks were just having fun. Somewhere there is a dance duet with a flamenco dancer and a belly dancer that was a beautiful fusion. I think these folks were attempting to do something similar, but in a humorous manner and without quite as much success.

Oh, and the fights you will hear re: Riverdance has perverted the old Irish step dance v. Riverdance is brilliantly innovative...

karena

I quite enjoyed it. And they kept the two styles distinct so I don't see the problem. I liked the flamenco one from another thread too. I like the idea of using one dance to provide the rhythm of the other, and seeing the similarities/differences between the moves in the different styles. Thanks Khaira

Suheir

That just looked like a bit of silliness to me. Now, was that an Arabic frame-drum or an Irish bodhrán...

Zara-dancer

Speaking as a professional Irish dancer & former member of the original Riverdane troupe, (and now I'm a bellydance teacher & performer) I thought that this was pretty poor... Though I have no problem with the dancers, I have to say that this piece didn't do justice to either dance form...some serious bandwagon jumping going on here! I mean, the two (IMHO :lol:) most beautiful dance forms on earth and this is the best people can come up with?? :mad: Zero points for innovation & interpretation...

Forgive me if I sound harsh, but I'm like an overprotective Irish mammy when it comes to my dancing :D

da Sage

This is cute! I think it's the sort of thing that would read better in person, but it's pretty good onscreen too. I have seen soooo many "style dance-off" bits, and they usually fall completely flat. Props for both the dancers for making this work!

I recently saw a very successful Irish/bellydance solo at a local hafla. Everyone was absolutely transfixed.:clap: That performance cinched my assessment that the dancer is hands-down the sexiest dancer in town. Seriously, the girl's got it. And anyone who can pull something like that off is a fabulous recruit to any dance discipline, also.

Jet Phoenix

I rather liked it as well. It seemed to be a different take on the old trick of giving an audience member a drum and then move to whatever they play. Of course, while I like to watch things like Riverdance, I know absolutely NOTHING about it....

da Sage

I rather liked it as well. It seemed to be a different take on the old trick of giving an audience member a drum and then move to whatever they play. Of course, while I like to watch things like Riverdance, I know absolutely NOTHING about it....

:lol::lol: Seriously? I have never seen this trick. Sounds like a dangerous game!;):lol:

Maria_Aya

I found it just boring
I'm a huge fan of Irish dance and had all the Mike Flatley DVD's before having Bellydance DVD's (was living for 5 years with the old VHS of Nelly-Hannan-Mona el Said lol).
I've seen them also live twice and they were amazing :D
Yes i agree that its poor for both dance forms and also dont get so much the idea.
I would like to see more action, a fight between the dancers and each one be at their best in their dance form.

maria aya :)

lizaj

Call off the BOBS- I think these folks were just having fun. Somewhere there is a dance duet with a flamenco dancer and a belly dancer that was a beautiful fusion. I think these folks were attempting to do something similar, but in a humorous manner and without quite as much success.

Oh, and the fights you will hear re: Riverdance has perverted the old Irish step dance v. Riverdance is brilliantly innovative...

Agreed...no problem They both knew what they were doing..that's what matters and let's face it the gP might enjoy it. It's not always about suiting other belly dancers/Irish dancers!

lizaj

YouTube - belly dance from Celtic fire show

SO bizarre.

I agree with you A'isha. I do combine my two loves (Scotland and bellydance) frequently, but never like this. I think it detracts and confuses two things that are already so sadly misunderstood. That said, based on the misunderstandings/romanticization so many people have about both, there's nothing more popular than a 'Celtic' bellydance. This just brings up so many arguments in my mind, the first of which is: Picts aren't Celts. Two different things. I'll stop now before I go on a long historical and cultural rant about Scotland. :)

Brea ,when are you coming to visit us over here...you need a bit of good Scots air to get your blood racing?