Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm a student now

I have 10 more classes. I think the most interesting thing I learned was that an arm movement I've seen actually involves a shoulder rotation. I never noticed that. But I think my few favorite videos don't really use that arm movement a lot anyway. My favorite step that I learned is basic Egyptian step (smush that bug!)

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. I think a lot of bellydance is illusion, at least with the technique that I use. For me, a "hip lift" is actually happening at the waist -- and many people get sharper hip lifts by activating their glutes or their adductors!

It's funny about the smash the bug thing -- I had a Lebanese kid corner me at a party and tell me "No, not a twist -- it's like you're squishing a bug!" That visual helped me understand the subtle difference between what I had learned as a twist and what Jamila Salimpour called a "pivot" -- which is what lets you squish that bug!!

LOL. enjoy your classes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    LOL. I think a lot of bellydance is illusion
    I once did a shimmy in jeans for some friends. They were amazed. They were saying incredulously, but how do you do it? what part are you moving? it's amazing. I was thinking, just look at my knees but just said, I couldn't possibly tell them. They were there for ages unable to work it out, then one of them finally said conspirationally to me, it's core muscle control isn't it. I just looked mystical, still thinking, just look at my knees

Enjoy your lessons bellyaime

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karena View Post
    I once did a shimmy in jeans for some friends. They were amazed. They were saying incredulously, but how do you do it? what part are you moving? it's amazing. I was thinking, just look at my knees but just said, I couldn't possibly tell them. They were there for ages unable to work it out, then one of them finally said conspirationally to me, it's core muscle control isn't it. I just looked mystical, still thinking, just look at my knees

Enjoy your lessons bellyaime
    Love that story!