Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gentle reminder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gentle reminder

Good morning everyone,

Over the weekend, I was at a school showing. Lots of wonderful dancers, a few things that I imagined us all sitting in the back, saying "Wow, did she really just do that...???" Dance to contemporary American pop song with zero Middle Eastern influence...A'isha, if I'd had your number, I would have called so you could share in the misery. Anyway, one thing that I did want to point out, that I was utterly amazed of. Ladies, if we are performing on a real stage, please do not forget that your audience is several feet below you. That slit in the skirt that is fine for floor dance is not fine for a stage, especially if you arent wearing anything underneath. There was one new dancer, wonderful woman, well-practiced, lovely costumes, I adore her, but I have seen more of her, and so did everyone else in the audience, than we ever needed to. When we are spinning, and the skirt is flared out and looks so lovely, please be sure that all the audience is seeing is your wonderful spin. There was also a tribal dancer that seemed to have lost her skirt and came out only in belt and...I dont know the name of them, but they are fuzzy. On the floor, it would have been cute. Odd, but cute. From a lower audience view, we could see right up. Just something to be aware of.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi nightdancer, thank you for your timely yet gentle reminder! As dancers are moving more and more from intimate restauant work to staged productions, it's very important to think about one's costume choices.
    Yasmine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nightdancer View Post
    Good morning everyone,

Over the weekend, I was at a school showing. Lots of wonderful dancers, a few things that I imagined us all sitting in the back, saying "Wow, did she really just do that...???" Dance to contemporary American pop song with zero Middle Eastern influence...A'isha, if I'd had your number, I would have called so you could share in the misery. Anyway, one thing that I did want to point out, that I was utterly amazed of. Ladies, if we are performing on a real stage, please do not forget that your audience is several feet below you. That slit in the skirt that is fine for floor dance is not fine for a stage, especially if you arent wearing anything underneath. There was one new dancer, wonderful woman, well-practiced, lovely costumes, I adore her, but I have seen more of her, and so did everyone else in the audience, than we ever needed to. When we are spinning, and the skirt is flared out and looks so lovely, please be sure that all the audience is seeing is your wonderful spin. There was also a tribal dancer that seemed to have lost her skirt and came out only in belt and...I dont know the name of them, but they are fuzzy. On the floor, it would have been cute. Odd, but cute. From a lower audience view, we could see right up. Just something to be aware of.

Dear Nightdancer,
    The things we see when we don't have a gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Nightdancer,
    The things we see when we don't have a gun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Regards,
    A'isha
    If I had a gun all the times I was watching bellydance I would be a serial-bellydance-killer
    I'm just happy with my very well practiced and rehearshed "Farida Fahmy smile" its just legendary lol

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of times I wear those low rise boy panties with my costumes. There not boy's but kind like a boxer brief style. They are great with a lot of different costumes, being low, tight and like a pair of shorts. They cover the cheeks and all the goodies.

Post Thanks / Like

Now now ladies, no need for violence lol. What you really need is, a point of view gun (oh I how wish they existed in reality and not just in The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy)...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand anyway why you wouldn't wear something underneed your costume. Unless you're secretly hoping someone will look there.

Post Thanks / Like

Moon,

People were wearing stuff, it just didnt help. A few thongs, some high-cut bikini types, etc. A lot of people, it seems, do not think about the fact you are 4-6 feet higher than your audience sometimes, and we can see right up the skirt. When everyone is on the same level, thats not an issue, but for stage, it very much becomes one.

Post Thanks / Like

Great reminder!
    I myself have had some unfortunate and undesired experiences at haflas when the audience (me) sits on the floor and the dancer (spinning fast in a round cut skirt to just under knee) is dancing very close. She did wear underwear though, (bulky white cotton) but I was quite embarrassed on her behalf. I was thinking if I should say something to her afterwards so that she doesn't have to do that again (she seemed completely unaware) but I just couldn't get myself to do it. What would you do?
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Ewww, thongs, we don't need to see that. Likewise sensible white cotton big pants, no good for the feminine mystique.

I saw a costume failure once involving skirt slippage, large white undies, and, just to make an authentic Egyptian-style tugging up of the skirt impossible, Isis wings. Nightmare.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast