Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default innovation freestyle bellydance workshop and hafla

hi if anyone is interested in challenging thier style of bellydance, artistically, musically, freestyling, different isolations, and individually- check out ths workshop info http://www.kirasoasis.com/pdf/JaronHipHop20081.pdf

Kira's Oasis
    Last edited by jbeast; 05-05-2011 at 01:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That looks like a hiphop dance workshop with "some bellydance movements incorporated as well"

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone can explain how the posture used in hip-hop and the posture used in belly dance are compatible, I'm all ears.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I do not even see any belly dancing movements involved. Interesting, but not belly dance material. Maybe some are interested or do hip hop dancing here....

Post Thanks / Like

This workshop looks like a hiphop fusion.

Bring on the Shakiras, Beyonces and Britneys!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Workshop

Ok there are many elements to this workshop- I as a man have studied bellydancing for one- popping is a part of bellydancing, ticking is a part of bellydancing, isolation is a part of bellydancing, and many more movements. I have already done workshops with gothic and tribal bellydancing thats has really taken thier dance to another level. Most movements in dance are related from history anyway its just style or approach to the dance(not to mention the music).I also teach different ways of bieng one with the music and freestyling with thier bellydancing. These are not just hip-hop movements these are performing techniques for all types of dance. As you know character and personality is a problem in all dance styles. I have learned tribal dance. I have taught and seen great improvements in all dances that these techniques were used. I hope this makes sense to all. any questions I will be happy to talk to you . email -jaronjoiner@yahoo.com
    ACTUALLY THE ONLY REASON I AM DOING THIS WORKSHOP IS BECAUSE IT WAS REQUESTED BY 4 LARGE STUDIOS BETWEEN 50-100 DANCERS-IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO ANYONE WHO HAS TAKEN A WORKSHOP I WILL BE HAPPY TO GIVE YOU THE REFERENCES.
    THIS BASICALLY APPLIES TO OPENMINDED PEOPLE WILLING TO LEARN FROM DIFFERENT PEOPLE-YOU ALMOST HAVE TO BE THERE TO UNDERSTAND IT.

Post Thanks / Like

You say you studied belly dance? how long did you study? what type of belly dance did you study? What I saw indicated to me that you do types of dance other than belly dance. Have you actually performed as a belly dancer? I'm just curious about your credentials in regard to belly dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbeast View Post
    Ok there are many elements to this workshop- I as a man have studied bellydancing for one- popping is a part of bellydancing, ticking is a part of bellydancing, isolation is a part of bellydancing, and many more movements. I have already done workshops with gothic and tribal bellydancing thats has really taken thier dance to another level.
    But "belly dance" is more than a movement vocab. It is the approach to the music; its how you bring yourself to be the music. I've seen performances by fresh students which consist of them standing on stage and running through a series of isolations to music. Power to them to have the guts to stand up there - but I hoped their teachers took them aside later and gently explained the different between dancing and drilling.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll note this is not being advertised as a bellydance workshop. The focus is to learn how to create individual stylization, for dancers of all sorts.

Kira caters to her crowd, and that crowd loves dance and movement. She's had Tai Chi, Capoeira, Spanish Dancing, Salsa, Tango, and other stuff at the studio.

I'd love to take this workshop. I love breakdancing but always feel so awkward with it. And I'd LOVE to see some of the younger tribal fusion dancers learn how to be themselves, and not Rachel/Zoe/Sharon clones. TF dance sometimes incorporates breakdance moves, so this seems like a perfect workshop for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariella View Post
    If anyone can explain how the posture used in hip-hop and the posture used in belly dance are compatible, I'm all ears.
    I've watched hip-hop dancing evolve from it's earliest beginnings to it's current point in mainstream acceptance.
    1) What mainstream audiences call hip-hop, is really an evolution springing from the urban and rural social dances of African-American and Hispanic cultures.Atomic Dog anyone?
    2) The postures are very different. In hip-hop there is a wider stance of the legs with body lower to the ground(descended from West African style dance). In theatrical Oriental dance,the posture is upright, with emphasis on tilted pelvis. Both styles of dance use core muscles to create movement.
    3)Hip-hop incorporates polycentric movements(like West African dance) whereas Oriental dance is based on isolations that are layered and combined.An example of polycentric movement:
    Rib cage slides/circle are often done with shoulder moves,hence the visual impact of the dance being energetic and powerful. In contrast, Oriental dance, one would see just rib moves but no simultaneous shoulder movement, the internalized movement would be seen as more refined.
    4) There is greater emphasis on fancy foot work and greater use of space in hip-hop. Usually the legs are prominenty displayed. Very athletic compare to Oriental dance. it is rae to see a hip-hop dancer in releve.
    5)In terms of the 'pops and locks', truly a hip-hop dance vocabulary driven by the consistent 4/4 beat found in hip-hop music. One cannot discount how the music shapes the dance. The music calls for tight contraction(lock) and release(pop) of various muscle groups moving in a polycentric manner. Nowadays, Modern Arabic pop/fusion music has incorporated prominent use of percussion, that mimics hip-hop music. Hence, more and more bellydancers are using pops and locks in their dance. It's not part of traditional Oriental dance vocabulary.(personally, I think many tribal fusion dancers are doing more hip-hop than bellydance...the removal of the dance from the true urban cultural roots looks odd and disjointed!)
    6) Both dance styles use hip moves very extensivelly, hence the crossover appeal.
    7) Both men and women dance hip-hop theatrically, with no difference in movement between genders. In other words, the essence of the dance is not based on gender but on energy ,flexibility and power, which both genders can assume. Well we already know the debate regarding this subject in oriental dance
    Yasmine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast