Hi, I'm a lurker!

Tabitha

Hi everybody,

I've been lurking here for a while, but thought I would introduce myself. I live in the SF Bay Area and am currently a professional dancer (I say currently because as soon as I finish school, I will give up dancing full time. :( Hmm...maybe I need to "extend" my studies...abroad? Masters, PhD??)

Anyway, I'm mostly a restaurant dancer, and I have just started to branch out into teaching...what a wonderfully scary experience teaching is! But overall, this dance has just been an amazing ride of self-exploration and discovery. Ok, I'm getting too mushy now, lol.

Take care!

Yshka

Hi Tabitha and welcome to the forum. I started learning how to teach some time ago and am now in my first longer-term (for 6 or 7 months substituting for another teacher) teaching thing.
I still find it scary and very difficult to teach. I put lots of preparation and thought into each class, but all the energy is so worth it when I see students grow more confident, become more skilled and just see them having fun and dancing. It teaches me things about myself also I hadn't expected to find. It just adds more beauty and depth to one's journey in dance I think.

Happy posting, reading and dancing.

By the way, I was really wondering. May I ask why you'd give up dancing after your studies?

KuteNurse

Welcome Tabitha! What a shame you are quitting your full time, but I understand wanting to learn and do other things. It is a good thing to be a well rounded person and know many things well. Have fun lurking and posting! I will watch for you...lol

Tabitha

Thanks!

I didn't mean I would give up dancing...but after I start teaching (elementary school kids) I don't think I'll have the energy for 5 nights a week of restaurant gigs.

As for teaching, I'm my teacher's regular sub nowadays, after 7 years being her student and I still get nervous before class. I like the idea of subbing and private coaching, because thinking up a curriculum is a bit daunting.

Safran

Hey Tabitha, welcome to the forum! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on performing and teaching. I am sure that teaching at elementary and giving dance classes will compliment each other nicely ;)

Farasha Hanem

Welcome, Tabitha!

Hi, Tabitha! I hope you enjoy being a part of our community; there are a lot of awesome people here. Good luck with your new teaching career, and happy post...er...lurking? Posting? Lurking? o_O;;; Anyway, have lots of fun! :D

KuteNurse

Thanks!

I didn't mean I would give up dancing...but after I start teaching (elementary school kids) I don't think I'll have the energy for 5 nights a week of restaurant gigs.

As for teaching, I'm my teacher's regular sub nowadays, after 7 years being her student and I still get nervous before class. I like the idea of subbing and private coaching, because thinking up a curriculum is a bit daunting.

Ohhh!!! I knew what you meant. How could you give up dancing...But I know life happens and we get busy with work, school, husbands, kids etc...:) Happy Dancing!:)

Monica

Hey, I know you!
Okay, you have inspired me to go and introduce myself in the meet and greet forum, too. :)
Glad to hear you are subbing for L. It is a great experience.
Cheers,
M.

Tabitha

Hey, I know you!
Okay, you have inspired me to go and introduce myself in the meet and greet forum, too. :)
Glad to hear you are subbing for L. It is a great experience.
Cheers,
M.

Hey Monica,

Hope to see ya around town sometime!