De Lurking to introduce myself

Marya

Hello everyone,

At Aisha Azar's encouragement (nagging) I am finally de-lurking.

By way of introduction, my real name and dance name is Marya. I have been studying dance since 1993. I started when I lived in Seattle and when I moved to Northeast Oregon (Wallowa mountains, town of Enterprise) I felt lucky to find a teacher in Pendleton, OR (100 miles away). That teacher has since moved away but during the course of the two years I studied with her I met Aisha. I studied on my own for awhile and traveled to Oaisis Dance camp on Vashon Island, but needed more. Aisha was kind enough to take me under her wing and so in the good weather I travel 200 miles to take private classes with her in Spokane WA.

I started with American Caberet, the Pendleton teacher included Jamilia Salimpour style along with American Caberet. I also took a week long intensive with Carolina Nericho, but American Tribal Style doesn't suite me.

As a former Peace Corps volunteer I am attracted to dance forms that accurately reflect the cultures of origin. While a volunteer in the Dominican Republic during the late '80's I had to learn about the music and dance because it was so important to the culture of the country and to understanding the people. Up to that point in my life the only dance I had studied was a little bit of modern, country western and square dancing. I wasn't really interested in dance of any kind.

I started with Belly Dancing when a Massage therapist suggested it and when I witnessed a belly dancer at a friends wedding. Besides helping me recover physically from an Auto Accident Belly dancing helped me emotionally. I tend to intellectualise everything and getting in touch with my body was a pretty amazing experience.

I also study Balkan folk dance but finding teachers for that is even harder than Middle Eastern Dance. But once I year I travel to Portland OR for a long weekend camp of live music and non stop dancing.

I teach one or two session a year if I can get enough students together. I live in a very rural area and so sometimes I only have two students.

I recently took some private classes with Helene Ericksen in Iranian dance and am trying to put together a performance that will feature what I learned plus some Persian poetry and of course food.

That's probably enough for now.

I have been lurking for 2 years or so.

Marya

ps I forgot to mention that I didn't start belly dancing until I was over 40, and now I am over 50... hope to keep dancing for the rest of my life, but I have chronic back problems...

Last edited:

teela

Welcome and there are many of us who started after the age of 40 and are are in our 50's. I heard the older we get the finer a dancer we become. I find belly dance is great exercise, helps me keep my stress levels down and makes me happy. I really miss it when I don't do it. Welcome again

Shanazel

Let's hear it for dancers on this side of the hill! Welcome, Marya. I'm glad A'isha's "nagging" was effective.

KuteNurse

Welcome, Welcome Marya!!!!! Although lurking is fun and entertaining, I am very happy you decided to join us. I am 41 years old and I have been taking lessons for 1 year with an instructor and 2 years if you count learning from DVD's. I am absolutely having a blast with belly dancing!

Salome

Administrator
Hi Marya,

I remember you from my visit to Spokane, I enjoyed your performance in the evening show. Glad you are now active here, happy posting.

Safran

Welcome, Marya Reading about all your experience, I'd say "de-lurking" is the best thing to do... Personally, I am anxiously waiting for your posts. And believe me, posting is even more fun than lurking :)

Marya

Thanks for the warm welcome

Thanks everyone for taking the time to welcome me. I have been enjoying reading the posts for sometime now. I told Aisha, that I didn't really feel like I could add anything that isn't already being said but I can certainly add my small part.

Marya

Mosaic

Super Moderator
So glad that you have decided to "de-lurk" Your dance life is very interesting and A big yay! for an another Autumn years dancer LOL!