Post Thanks / Like

Default Delurk and introduction

Hello!

I have been member here for quite a while. I occasionally lurk about and read, and even less occasionally post.

I live in San Francisco, and have been dancing 16 years--in fact this very month is my 16th anniversary of setting foot into my first belly dance class. I worked in restaurants quite regularly and seriously early on throughout my late teens and most of my 20s, and finally gave up my last regular gig about four years ago. No regrets! I continue to work fairly regularly (mainly at weddings and corporate events) as well as dancing for fun at community events and festivals. I also work with a geographically challenged collectively run trio, Raqs Habibi.

I have been teaching dance classes since 2003 (after many years of mentored teaching with two of my instructors). Teaching is a huge part of my dance life and focus now. I try to take classes and workshops as often as possible, especially in folkloric styles. I like to know the roots! I also study flamenco.

I also teach ESL, and seem to have managed to piece together two pretty solid part time careers in both dance and ESL. It works for me! It is amazing how similar teaching language and movement can be.

Anyway, I know some folks here from bhuz and tribe. Hope I did not go on too long here! So...hello!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I love it when lurkers come out of the closet! Welcome and Happy posting

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Monica !!

Enjoy reading, posting and having fun

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Monica! I am glad you've decided to de-lurk, because I have a feeling you have a lot to contribute to the discussion. I checked the website of Raqs Habibi - love the idea of a "geographically-challenged" troupe