How long have you been belly dancing for and how often do you practice?

Farasha Hanem

Farasha Hanem - I do so know what you mean about the man of the house 'catching' you - I practice shimmies in the shower, and mine kept asking me why there was so much noise in there, and why I took so long!! It does take longer to walk down the hallway when I'm trying to practice my 3/4 shimmy...sigh... but you can do hip lifts and figure 8's while drying your hair, and mentally practice hip circles when you're in bed!!

I mentally practice a lot of stuff in my head, in bed, behind the register, wherever, but I haven't done hip lifts or figure eights while drying my hair; I usually let it air-dry. :D

Oh, by the way, never try to practice a walking shimmy on a full bladder...:rolleyes: XD

da Sage

I've been taking lessons seriously for 3 years, and currently I practice every day - sometimes with a video, and sometimes self-directed practice. I don't know what I'm going to do if I don't start improving more quickly, though...

EDIT: Actually, I haven't decided what to do if I don't start improving as quickly as I'd like. I have some ideas, though. ;)

Last edited:

Mihrimah Ghaziya

I took my first lesson about 5 years ago and I've been teaching lessons everyday since last year.
To improve my general technique, I am also taking classes in ballet, modern dance and physical theater.
Moreover I am involved in several dance crossover projects (which means: Rehearsals !!)

I've calculated that I'm dancing in average around 25 hours a week!!

The rest of the time, I listen to music, write choreographies, watch through the web for new information and inspiration... ;)

Mihrimah

sstacy123

I've been dancing a little over a year...most of that time I just took one class (1.5 hours) a week but for about five weeks I took three classes and about 10 weeks it was just the two...there have been times when I practiced 5 or 6 days week outside of class and times when I did good to practice one day a week...I have a nice area at work that I like to use my one hour lunch break to practice...if I'm practicing at home it is usually shorter due to my irritation at the lack of space...and of course extra practice when we had little performances...I've also started drum classes one hour a week which is not dance practice itself, but I'm told it helps...

Brea

I have been dancing for nine years! I still feel like there is so much to learn. I practice about a half hour to forty five minutes at a time (depending on if I really feel like shakin' it and get into the groove). I will say that I practice more often if a performance is coming up (every day). I also practice much less if my life is extremely busy with work, school, or trying to stay warm in
-50 weather!

I learn from who I can, when I can, whenever I have the money!

charity

when i first started learning by dvds, i would practice 2 hours a day in lieu of working out.

it got to the point i stopped doing anything other than practice bd dvd's. i never watched tv. that was more time to dance in my mind.

but then i started taking classes and learning a choreography. i just got burnt out, i havent danced consistently in 3 months now. i'll dance for a week then not at all for another month. plus i quit classes 6 MONTHS ago because of the treacherous drive. it doesnt seem like that long ago that i quit but man, how time flies.

but another thing, i really missed martial arts, i'd rather save up money for that and more future lessons. i love bd but it is true nothing will replace true love.:naghty:

da Sage

Hi Charity,

I have heard so many good things about martial arts, I can easily understand it drawing the same dedication that belly dance does. I hope you are happy and fulfilled with whichever activities you have time for.:) Too bad we all have to make those difficult choices.:(

Shakeelah

I have been dancing for 15 years, and am still learning. I have been teaching for 5 years and am in front of class in term time for 10-12 hours per week. I try to dance for me and to work on my stuff for at least an hour a day, but this does not always work :rolleyes: I am always dancing in the kitchen when cooking dinner, and I most definitely dance in my head before I go to sleep at night!

When I first started dancing I was equally consumed by it, but had limited resources and time (small children cut into dance time quite effectively!) Resources like this forum were not available then, so my rate of learning over the past few years about the history and culture of dance, as well as the international dance scene has increased ten fold.

This year I will be spending more time outside of teaching on my dancing, as I have been given the gift of more free time to use as I please, so I am looking forward to school starting again (tomorrow) and being able to loose myself in the classics and Hossam Ramzy!:D

Ana

I've been bellydancing for 5 years and a half. Even when I was pregnant. (I'm the proud mother of a two year old girl).
Since I'm quite busy, I'm trying to practice whenever I can. Recently I've started to practice half an hour per day. My little girl dances with me, so I feel more compelled to practice.

da Sage

I've been bellydancing for 5 years and a half. Even when I was pregnant. (I'm the proud mother of a two year old girl).
Since I'm quite busy, I'm trying to practice whenever I can. Recently I've started to practice half an hour per day. My little girl dances with me, so I feel more compelled to practice.

*jealous* I hope one day I have a lovely daughter to dance with, too!
:dance::dance:

SumayaSaahir

Ive been dancing for 6 years now. I dance every day, sometimes for 10 minutes, sometimes for 6 hours (in my dance company). I used to practice so I could get better technically. Now Im more interested in dancing to express myself. I love getting into the meat of the music. :)

Thanks for asking!

Ankhet

Hi Amethist, I've been going it buy myself for almost a year now. I also use Veena and Neena DVD's. I have others but I like there's best. This spring I will be taking lessions.:dance:

fadua21

I have been taking lessons for two years and practice everyday at home for about an hour. I am considering to sign up for more than one lesson a week, maybe twice a week. I love bd, but I need to work on my arm movements, they are awful... Antoher thing that helps me is to watch videos on youtube.

*elly belly*

I dance everyday for one hour (that includes warming up and stretching, including some yoga here), and i do dancing for fun after that, i also have two lessons in bd a week: 2.5 hours total and 1 hour lesson in ballet every week, ive caught myself doing moves when im not practicing,shimmying in the shower, chest lifts in bed, glut lifts in church, 3 quarter shimmy down the hall, rib circles in the car etc etc =P and bellyrolls all the time hahaa

Moon

Am I really the only person who doesn't practice at home everyday? :shok: Or maybe the others don't dare to post here?

Helloooo fellow lazy people, help me out here so the overactive ones don't make me feel bad :pray: ;)

*elly belly*

Sorry moon! Perhaps your so fabulous you dont need to practice ever single day? Im a total "noob" in bd if it helps any, ive only been doing it for 1 1/2 years! i need to work really hard at it to keep up with you!