How long have you been belly dancing for and how often do you practice?

Amethist

Hi, I have been belly dancing for 4.5 months, I'm just a beginner! I attend a beginners class once a week and have been practicing at home to Neena and Veena 3 times a week since last week. The dance is so beautiful in everyway, and I would love to reach the advanced level and take part in some performances.

How long have you been belly dancing for and how often do you practice?

Amethist :)

Last edited:

Moon

I've been dancing for almost 2.5 years now and it varies how often I practice. Sometimes quite a lot, and sometimes I only dance once a week (like now :redface:)

Amethist

I've been dancing for almost 2.5 years now and it varies how often I practice. Sometimes quite a lot, and sometimes I only dance once a week (like now :redface:)

In my first term I did not practice at home at all even though the teacher told us to:redface: Now I am more motivated, but I can see how it varies, if I don't do it first thing in the morning before work, it's a lot less likely I will practice in the evening.

Moon

I usually practice in the evening when I practice. I practiced a lot 2 years ago when my heating system didn't work and dancing was the only way to stay warm, lol! Didn't practice at all during the summer of 2006 because it was so hot.

Hi Amethist, I've been dancing for 6 years now and boy when I look back on it, I've packed a whole lot of dancing into those years! I practice about 4 times a week and this includes preparation for the classes I teach. When I'm not actively practicing dance(this may include zill drills, balancing, musical interpretation etc),I'm also exercising to support and maintain the stamina, flexibility and strength that the dance requires.
Good question!
Yasmine

Amethist

I usually practice in the evening when I practice. I practiced a lot 2 years ago when my heating system didn't work and dancing was the only way to stay warm, lol! Didn't practice at all during the summer of 2006 because it was so hot.

Lol, a sure way to keep warm in winter...

Amethist

Hi Amethist, I've been dancing for 6 years now and boy when I look back on it, I've packed a whole lot of dancing into those years! I practice about 4 times a week and this includes preparation for the classes I teach. When I'm not actively practicing dance(this may include zill drills, balancing, musical interpretation etc),I'm also exercising to support and maintain the stamina, flexibility and strength that the dance requires.
Good question!
Yasmine

Hi Yasmine,

How long do you practice for each time? (I'm a curious learner, so all these questions, hehe).

Aisha Azar

How long

Dear Gang,
On July 1st, I will celebrate my 34th year as a dancer. I took my first class on July 1st, 1974 and changed the course of my life.
I usually practice 5 days a week, in the morning, because by the time night rolls around, I am far too lazy to dance. In general, though I work on costumes or on knitting in front of the television after dinner, unless it's Monday or Thursday. Then I go and teach my classes. I also wake up early on Sunday mornings and teach, usually a private class at 9 AM, a weekly Sunday class at 10 AM and we are usually in rehearsals from 11:15 until usually at least 1 PM.
Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

I started a couple of years after A'isha. "Back in the days", I practiced several hours a day. Now I may manage three or four hours a week during teaching sessions.

Farasha Hanem

I started in 2001 when my husband bought me my first two Neena and Veena tapes, and I went at it alone with tapes and DVD's because there were no classes in my area available. :( But then just last September, a studio in our area offered classes, so I jumped on the opportunity. I've been very happy, ever since. :D :dance:

adiemus

I'm a baby, dancing for just on a year... I'm also an information junkie and have tried to absorb as much as I can pack in!!
I try to practice every day for at least 30 minutes, and go to one class a week (but I'd love to take more - just have to get my concussion under control!).

Ligeia

I have danced about 7 years... I started with 1 lesson/week, then I took 2 lessons/week for a couple of years, and now I am back to 1/week. I have to shamefully admit that I am too lazy to practice seriously at home :redface: ... but on the other hand I dance for fun nearly everyday :).

Princess

I am dancing since 17 years .Earlyier I was doing 5-6 hours per day but because I have other 2 jobs I managed 2-3 hours per day.

Hi Yasmine,

How long do you practice for each time? (I'm a curious learner, so all these questions, hehe).
Hi Amethist, I practice dance isolations daily and I incorporate the movements into my yoga practice. For example after 3 Sun Salutuations I'll do head, shoulder and rib isolations. Then I'll resume other yoga poses focusing on yogic breathing and meditation, and then Ill continue isolations with my lower body this will take about 30-45 minutes.

I weight train 3 times a week, focusing on different body parts usually for 30 minutes. Shimmy isolations after weights. As far as music I'll pop in CD's and just listen. This way I'm allowing my brain and body to connect to the source. Sometimes I'll dance but most times I just listen. As for video learning I'll pop a tape/DVD and follow along until I can commit it to muscle memory.
As a student at our school, I'll practice new and old choreography or an hour and a half. For the classes I teach, I usually will prepare for two hours prior to class. If i were a full time professional, I'm sure I would be practicing for 4-5 ours daily!
Yasmine

Yshka

Hi Amethist,

I've been dancing for a little over 4,5 years now and I think I danced loads so far. What can I say, I got addicted and cannot stop moving.
In first two years I had 1,5 hours of class each week, with practise sessions everywhere I could fit them, ranging from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
After that I went to 2,5, and later to 4 hours of class a week, then including 1,5 hour troupe rehearsals.
I couldn;'t practise as much anymore because of my busy schedule, but could fit in two times a week at least 30 mins to an hour. Occasionally I would practise 2 hours or more. I've then gone to 6, to 7,5, to 9 hours of classes a week, and now am back at 7,5, soon to be 9 again when the troupe starts dancing again in february.
I've been doing bellydance fitness. About a year ago started in class for 6 months or so and then at home for 30 to 60 minutes, 2 times a week ever since. I still practise at home but not as often as I used to. I now practise for 30 mins to 1.5 hours once or twice a week.

I also have started learning how to teach and do 3 hours of teaching on tuesday nights. I prepare classes on the same day, for about 2 hours.

Throughout my dancing I've been an information junky (to quote Adiemus, well put girl!!) and tried to read and discover as much as I could. I started listening to ME music from day one and got hooked. I listen to Middle Eastern music all the time and I think I can say like Yasmine I listen a lot, and not always dance to it. Occasionally I will get the urge to play western music as well :lol:, not for bellydancing though!!;)

I take time to go over old and new, solo and troupe choreographies every now and then for about 2 hours (not every week though) and am busy training a few girls for the troupe, an hour a week with each.

Edit: I"m a workshop addict too. I try to get as many as my budget and time allow. I own only a few dvds, some choreographies and instructionals by Rania, Orit and Rachel Brice. I am looking for some others I'd like but ordering overseas and online is not easy for me.

Last edited:

Midoria

I've been taking classes since the fall.

Due to my schedule I only practice on my own once a week for about 30 minutes. I take classes twice a week though, and that really helps.

Farasha Hanem

oops!

Whoops, I forgot to say how often I practice! :doh: :wall: I practice at least three times a week, after coming home from class, and on my two days off that follow my weekly lessons. But I try to practice moves whenever I think about it; sometimes, I'll practice shimmies behind the register at work (who's to know? :lol: ), backbends during break, or travelling steps from one room to the other, etc. Sometimes when I'm cooking, I'll have my mp3 player going, and I'll practice moves in the kitchen while I wait on dinner to get done. My husband "caught" me practicing in this way one evening, and he giggled and teased me about it. :rolleyes:

:redface:

adiemus

Farasha Hanem - I do so know what you mean about the man of the house 'catching' you - I practice shimmies in the shower, and mine kept asking me why there was so much noise in there, and why I took so long!! It does take longer to walk down the hallway when I'm trying to practice my 3/4 shimmy...sigh... but you can do hip lifts and figure 8's while drying your hair, and mentally practice hip circles when you're in bed!!

Safran

Well, I have also been dancing for 4,5 years as Yshka. But overall my dedication has been somewhat less intense. I have had times where I fit more than 7 classes and practice session into a week, but there have also been months which I have just taken off, due to work, travelling or simply for having a break.

Currently I am doing 3,5 hours of classes a week. I try to fit in one or two practice sessions over the weekend, rehearsing the material learned in class or just making an attempt to improvise :D For the past few weeks I have also tried to find a time slot in the evening to practice zills (yes, I have found them again :dance:). Oh, and in addition I take one 60-minute dance class a week, just for the fun and variety.