short belly dancer

egyptian girl

can lenghth of the dancer hinders her from making some movements??????
is it possible that someone practise alot but he or she can not make the movements well??i mean that some 1 fails to learn belly dance despite hard practise?

Aisha Azar

height and belly dance

Dear Egyptian Girl,
Some of the very famous dancers are not very tall. Soheir Zaki comes to mind. I think that the ability to dance the dance has more to do with other things than height. The dance often takes many years to really learn to do with skill, so it may be that you need more time. If, after investing several years, you find that you still do not feel that you are making progress, then this might not ge the dance for you. But, do give it time.
Regards,
A'isha

egyptian girl

If, after investing several years, you find that you still do not feel that you are making progress, then this might not ge the dance for you. But, do give it time.
A'isha

thank u very much for ur reply
but in ur last lines u mean that it's possible not 2 be adancer bcz u dont have talent or ability????
i just ask u again 2 make sure that i got u right

Aisha Azar

Dance

Dear Egyptian Girl,
I believe everyone can belly dance for fun, but that only a few people will become professional quality belly dancers. I am always amazed because this dance is as difficult to learn as ballet, yet many teachers will try to make their students believe that everyone can become a belly dancer. For fun, anyone can dance as an amateur, but yes, one must have talent and ability to become a professional. AND on top of having the natural ability, they must work to become good at it.
Regards,
A'isha

Aisha Azar

Dance

Dear Egyptian Girl,
And also remember that it takes a long time to find out if you have talent for something, so stay with it. We all have problems with some moves. it took me 15 years to learn how to do one movement correctly, so do not just give up.
You are welcome
Regards,
A'isha

Kashmir

can lenghth of the dancer hinders her from making some movements??????
is it possible that someone practise alot but he or she can not make the movements well??i mean that some 1 fails to learn belly dance despite hard practise?
Lots of good dancers are short. However, a dancer's proportions may make some moves difficult or impossible. (For instance the length and angle that the top of my thigh makes with my pelvis means I cannot turn out much at the hip).

But you don't need to be able to "do all the moves" to dance and belly dancing isn't just about "moves".

Things you can do:
  • Check with your teacher that you are trying the moves correctly
  • Practice several times a week for a couple of months before getting down hearted
  • Check out your flexibility and strength in the area needed for the "move" - your teacher should be able to help you there or point you to someone who can
  • If there is an issue than can be fixed work on it for a few months and see if it helps
  • Have fun with what you can do

Aisha Azar

Which movement

can i know which movement is it?

Dear Egyptian Girl,
The movement that I had a LOT of trouble with was the undulation that moves upward from the knees to the pelvis, to about the navel. The larger, American versions are called "Body Wave", or "Reverse Undulation". The Egyptians do a very small, very contained version of the movement, and I just could not figure out how they made it so contained for many years, but I finally got it with the help of a dancer named Feiruz, who used to dance in Los Angeles about 35 years ago.
Regards,
A'isha

Farasha Hanem

don't sell yourself "short"

Hey, egyptian girl *hugs* :)

I, too, am short (4 feet, 9 inches), and am learning how to bellydance. Like Kashmir, I have trouble with some moves (in fact, one of them is the same move as Kashmir, and for the same reason). But my grandmother always said, "Practice makes perfect." Well, I may never become good enough to become a professional, :rolleyes: :lol: but I love bellydance, and enjoy it so much. Sometimes it gets frustrating when trying to learn new moves, especially when you're looking in the studio mirror and thinkng, "Gee, my boobs look like they're sitting on my stomach when I do chest circles!" but despite my almost non-existent waist, short legs and arms, I'm going to keep practicing, and not give up. With time and practice, I'm sure we'll both learn how to dance correctly, make it look right, and have a blast doing so. :D

Lydia

Hi there Egyption girl,no problem when you are not very tall no problem at all!! i have many students that are not so tall ,and some are realy short and tiny and believe me they can dance!!! But yes you must have a feel and talent to do so,but just enjoy and try to go and train with a teacher,if you think you ever make it to Dubai ,please come to my class you will be surprised to see how many short girls i have in class and how amazing they dance,if you go to the thread ,,my tressures,, in this forum you will see 3 girls that are my students they are performing now and you will see in the pics they are not tall and very succesfull already...i think in cm ,perhaps 1 meter 55 cm...so have a peek at the thread and it will make you confident and happy ...have a great day....Lydia

egyptian girl

hi farasha hanem فراشه هانم
ur name is written like this in arabic and it's so nice
u made me laugh alot when u describe ur self in the mirror hahahaha u just remind me of myself
but we'll keep trying
at least not 2 allow my man 2 look at any1*shy*

egyptian girl

hi lydia
is it ur pic???it's so nice
i promise u 2visit u and learn from u if i come 2 dubai(but actually i've arational problem with arabs).
me 2 almost 1 meter and half*shy*
but really u make me feel good
thanks

Yshka

Dear Egyptian Girl,

welcome to the frum from another short dancer!! At 5"1 (meaning about 154 centimeters) I'm also tiny compared to some of the taller dancers. I can still dance however and I have not had the same problem as Kashmir and Farasha (Or it might be I'm understanding it wrong, Kashmir, might you explain again what you mean? Thank you dear).

If you take the time to learn the dance well and practise hard, I agree, practise makes perfect if you also have a feel for the dance and are willing to train hard. You might not be able to do certain things taller dancers can, but sometimes it's the other way around as well. Keep learning and you'll get there!

A saying I remember when somebody saw me perform some years back, was "She is so small but she filled the entire stage!" This I will always remember and it helps remind me that even shorter ones among us can dance well!

Good luck dear!:)

Lydia

Hi there girly...no its not me in the picture,just my students....and in my classes you will find 22 differant nationalities so i am sure you fit in just fine!!!

Farasha Hanem

hi farasha hanem فراشه هانم
ur name is written like this in arabic and it's so nice
u made me laugh alot when u describe ur self in the mirror hahahaha u just remind me of myself
but we'll keep trying
at least not 2 allow my man 2 look at any1*shy*

Thank you for showing my name in Arabic; I just wish the letters were bigger so I could learn how to write it. But I still appreciate it. :D Keep on dancing! *hugs* :dance:

egyptian girl

hi yshka
i wish u good luck too
also i want 2 add to what u said
that being short is not that bad
i once read a report said that short women are better than taller
--i know now u must be sleeping when i reply((happy dreams))