Egyptian style dancers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiraze

Randa Kamal

There are some nice photos of Randa Kamal (and Momo Kadous & Singaporean dancers) dancing at Cairo!Cairo! festival held here in Singapore in July. Randa´s pictures can be found on last two pages - I myself liked the first golden outfit the best but also last modern saidi-costume was interesting (BTW Dahlal seems to carry this costume according to her latest catalog)

Yshka

Dear Kiraze, wonderful pics! I love the Saidi costume, though it indeed looked familiar from the one I've seen at Dahlal's.

Dear A'isha and others, those video's and dvds sound great, I'm going to try and find some (being in Europe the European system thing shouldn't be a problem).

Personally I've been doing a lot of American Oriental/Cabaret style lately, have been experimenting with Lebanese and Turkish style as well and as I really like Lebanese and the more 'showy' styles, I seem to be coming back to Egyptian all the time, it just feels natural to me in some way. My favourites would be Randa Kamal, Sohair Zaki and Fifi Abdo (haven't seen Momo perform yet but it sure sounds promising).

IMO Dina's nice to watch too though her costuming doesnt speak to me that much lol.

DancerAU

I have been practicing the Egyptian Walk all week. Learnt the technique at classes last week. I am not sure I am getting right though LOL My teacher does it, makes it look so easy. She looks like she's just walking normal with her hips swinging. I have to go in slow motion. As soon as I try to speed up I lose it. I embarassed my kids at shopping on the weekend cause I was trying to get the move right, strutting down the grocery aisle:eek: My teacher did say that when we finally master it, it would most likely be down the aisle at Woolworths LOL so what better place to practice I thought.

Kathy :)

MirahAmmal

Dear DancerAU,

I love it!!! You are a dancer after my own heart. :) I'm always telling my students to practice in the grocery store ("If you're uncomfortable doing it in your own neighborhood, come to the one in mine--they're used to it"), and I tell them they get bonus points if they scandalize their kids. ;)

Besides...Egyptian style is all about being relaxed and comfortable in the movements. What better way to get comfortable than to practice when you're relaxed and doing mundane tasks?

BTW--pumping gas: great opportunity to practice your shimmies...especially if you live in a cold climate. ;-)

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Okay, what is the "Egyptian walk" ? I've heard British dancers use this term and I've always forgotten to ask them. Can you describe it? Or break it down? I'm sure we have this same step in American vocabulary, but we call it something else.

I have been practicing the Egyptian Walk all week. Learnt the technique at classes last week. I am not sure I am getting right though LOL My teacher does it, makes it look so easy. She looks like she's just walking normal with her hips swinging. I have to go in slow motion. As soon as I try to speed up I lose it. I embarassed my kids at shopping on the weekend cause I was trying to get the move right, strutting down the grocery aisle:eek: My teacher did say that when we finally master it, it would most likely be down the aisle at Woolworths LOL so what better place to practice I thought.

Kathy :)

Freya

Love Egyptian style, so yes, more posts!! :)

Aziyade,

Tarik has also posted this clip (loved it!) in a separate thread, which led to a discussion about Shabi. I don't know how to make links to another thread but this, at least, is the name of it:
Check Out This Clip It Rocks!

Last edited:

chryssanthi sahar

Dear Outi,
Momo Kadous has a video of her from a dance festivel in Germany. I think the year is 1990. Her dancing is the very best in this video. It also has a bunch of other dancers on it, including Momo, Ibrahim Farah, the German Badawia, Sharazade and more. Some of the dancing is really good and some not so good, but Sohair Zaki and her band are excellent!!
Regards,
A'isha

Soheir Zakis performance in Germany was a bit later than that, I think 1992 or 1993. I was there:) She was amaziiiiiing:eek: She danced at the second part of the show for about one hour all together and the more she danced the more I got charmed and fascinated (and not only me. The audience was boiling). It was life experience to see Soheir live on Stage:) One year before her there came Nagua Fouad, but unfortunately I couldn't visit her performance. I have a video though with the highlights from both performances, but I don't think that it is still available for sale. The big German lady of belly dance Bedauia Dietlinde Karkoutli (who unfortunately passed away almost 10 years ago) had organized both performances. She was a personal friend of both Soheir and Nagua. She also brought Momo Kadous to Germany. She hired him as teacher in her famous studio "Arabesque" in Frankfurt, which Momo took over after her death.

MirahAmmal

That's a great video clip! :) It's fun to see Dina just looking so joyous and dancing more the more casual style (she's still fabulous though). Hmm may have to post this to the discussion about her costumes/dancing--no skimpy costumes hereand she looks great.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Thanks! I'll look for it. :)

Love Egyptian style, so yes, more posts!! :)

Aziyade,

Tarik has also posted this clip (loved it!) in a separate thread, which led to a discussion about Shabi. I don't know how to make links to another thread but this, at least, is the name of it:
Check Out This Clip It Rocks!

Tarik Sultan

That's a great video clip! :) It's fun to see Dina just looking so joyous and dancing more the more casual style (she's still fabulous though). Hmm may have to post this to the discussion about her costumes/dancing--no skimpy costumes hereand she looks great.

Hi Azi: Yes Shabbi is social dancing, but its from the working class neighborhoods, so its looked down upon as being lowclass by the Upper calsses, but like all "lowclass" music, it has a way of getting around and you find it everywhere! It really is reflective of the true Egyptian spirit and character.

Mirah, you're so right Dina looks so lovely here. I never used to be a fan of hers but she's begining to grow on me the more I learn about her.

By the way, I see you're from Minneapolis. Do you know an Algerian percussionist named Toufik Ammi? He sometimes works with Cassandra. He's a good friend of mine and he moved to MN a few years ago. He says he's so much happier there than he was in NY. He makes me want to come check it out!

Good dancing
Tarik

Sara Abou Farhat

Hi Tarik,
I've invited Ahmed Fekry to teach Sha'abi at the studio next year.....it will be interesting!

I'm looking forward to having class with Randa Kamel at Josephine Wises Fantasia Festival in december - it will be a first with her.

Otherwise my favourite egyptian dancers are - of course "the golden classics": Suheir Zaki, Mona Saiid, Fifi, Nagua but also I loved the way Nadia Hamdi danced. Dina seems to have the market at the moment but hopefully the egyptian scene will be able to introduce someone new soon??
The lebanese dancers are also worth a mention:D
Nadia Gamal (absolutely amazing,bless her soul) & now Amani is a respected and top dancer & teacher....I could spend hours, days, YEARS watching her videos:cool: Anyone else????

Happy dancing,
Sara Abou Farhat

Saaraelli_

Lovely threat!
I am a student of Egyptian style belly dance, this is my second year now.
We have a new teacher and it is nice to have different teachers as every teacher has so much to give for the students.
Or at least I feel so :)

Status
Not open for further replies.