Amazing video about women in Saudi Arabia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safran

Guys, I love the exchange of thoughts in this thread, but the recent discussion is getting very uncomfortable - I am sure both to those who are contributing and to whose who are just reading. Please, stop the personal insults and continue with the discussion... And try to keep an open mind - we'll never get to the stage where we all agree completely.

PS. belly_dancer I keep trying to leave you positive rep for all the different views and ideas you bring in, but the system doesn't let me :S

KuteNurse

First off...It is KUTENURSE, not KateNurse. Secondly, I have every right to state my opinions on your religion here, as you have to right to comment on my religion, or any other religion you wish to discuss. Thirdly, I did not have a problem with others talking about Catholicism...I found it to be interesting and not upsetting to me.

Fourth...Prejudism according the Webster/Meridian dictionary...4th edition. An opinion or judgment formed without due examination; prejudgment; a leaning toward one side of a question from other considerations than those belonging to it; an unreasonable predilection for, or objection against, anything; especially, an opinion or leaning adverse to anything, without just grounds, or before sufficient knowledge.

Fifth-My quaran bashing did not backfire on me. 6th-I responded back to your private message not to send me another message...Not because what you sent was upsetting, but because simply I do not like the person you are. I am glad you caught on not to send me another message and I am publically telling you not to send me another. 7th-I am glad you are well traveled in the United States...Perhaps you should have paid more attention to customs and laws and such when you visited here...Then you would have a better understanding of what our country stands for. Freedom and freedom of speech. 8th-Kudos to you for not making comments on other religions, but you sure know how to degrade people on forums...Especially after 3 months I dropped the subject until you once again brought me up again....You enjoy arguing and rehashing the topic.

As I stated in my first post, I am sorry you have suffered abuse and you have been neglected of a loving atmosphere. I am sure many here would be willing to help you out including myself. Now, I will not argue anymore with you because it is not accomplishing anything other than hard feelings. I am sure you can see that also and you will stop the hurtful posts on this thread. You should focus that negative energy on other areas where you will be productive...I know that is what I will be doing. Have a good night.

Regarding the PM: I believe I only sent you ONE message, and that was almost 3 months ago, Here is what I wrote:

"I noticed your 'interest' in Islamic laws since you keep bringing up the issues about stoning of women and capital punishment. I did research as well, and I would really like to know your thoughts on this. Does God approve of capital punishment?
Since both of us speak english, there shouldn't be a misunderstanding this time due to wrong translation. I didn't want to post the link publically on the forum, knowing that it offend other members. I hope that you answer me the same way I have done. However, if you don't want to be questioned about it, that's fine with me as well.

Have a great day!

Gypsy"

I don't know what "private letters" you are referring to because that was it. If there was anything "not nice" like you claim about that PM, you would have reported me, the same way you reported me before for supposedly using "inappropriate language". When you ignored my PM, yet continued to reply to me here, I automatically got the message that you are not interested in a private discussion, so I left you alone. I am terribly sorry that your attempt to turn this topic into a Islamic/ Quran bashing session backfired on you, and instead you got all these unexpected questions about Catholicism. It is NOT my problem that you like to attack other people's religions but on the other hand do not like to be questioned about your own faith! Just a reminder***************** I have not made one single degrading comment towards anyone's religion, and I will never do that.********

Now regarding the rest of your post...... I say it is better you calm down, I doubt very much anyone cares what you have to say about me, this is just an online forum, so relax.

And to answer your question, yes, I have actually travelled across the United States, I have been to California, Michigan, West Virginia, New York, Washington DC and Florida and I have been to Europe, I visited the United Kingdom more than 8 times, I lived in the city of Lisburn in Ireland for 4 months with my extended family, I've been to Scotland, England, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, The Netherlands, The Czech republic and Hungary.

Thank you for letting me know that "GYPSY" is now a well known name in the (cyber?) bellydance community, it's an honour. :)

edit: I think it's "prejudice" not "prejudism", LOL, I'm not trying to act smart, but I see you've written it more than once and I went hmmm.... that doesn't look/sound right. WARNING: Not a native speaker, so there is a BIG chance I could be wrong! Any english teachers here?

This was a response to KateNurse

TribalDancer

*putting on moderator hat*

Deep Breath everyone!

I am reallyappreciating all the varied responses,and the passionate opinions being expressed.But please, be respectful of one another and recognize that when things get into heated territory, it is easy to misconstrue intent and tone. Give others the benefit of the doubt, and try to hear each other very carefully.

Thanks, everyone, for your deep desire to discuss, debate, and most of all listen to one another and see things from other points of view!

gypsy8522

First off...It is KUTENURSE, not KateNurse.

First off, KUTENURSE, I apologize for misspelling your username.

Secondly, I have every right to state my opinions on your religion here, as you have to right to comment on my religion, or any other religion you wish to discuss.

And WHERE exactly did I say you didn't have the right to state your opinions? You can state your opinions as you wish, and based on these opinions I also have every right to state my own opinion, it's a two way street.

Thirdly, I did not have a problem with others talking about Catholicism...I found it to be interesting and not upsetting to me.

Of course, since every reply about Catholicism was based on "proof and knowledge" OR first hand experiences by people who grew up in that environment and knew exactly what they were talking about. You are the only one here that was speaking out of complete ignorance, fear, "prejudism", whatever you want to call it, you were the only one to look down on a whole group of people/women because of misconceptions that are built on your own fantasies as opposed to reality, you are the ONLY one whose contribution consisted of poor quality videos, wrong captions and links to material that contained distorted translations. And the way you tried to weasel out of answering some questions, such as Sedonia's question (post #199), (she made a point about about sexual abstinence and how it conflicts with human nature)which although I don't agree with some of the things she said, at least I could see how makes much sense from a scientific standpoint. Also, you answering every other question with "But, it's not only Catholicism, all other religions do it as well..." is just proof of the typical apologetic weaseling.

Fourth...Prejudism according the Webster/Meridian dictionary...4th edition. An opinion or judgment formed without due examination; prejudgment; a leaning toward one side of a question from other considerations than those belonging to it; an unreasonable predilection for, or objection against, anything; especially, an opinion or leaning adverse to anything, without just grounds, or before sufficient knowledge.

I know what prejudism is, I just thought this sentence-------> "I have no prejudism against you" doesn't sound right. But again, like I said before I could be WRONG, english is just my second language.

Fifth-My quaran bashing did not backfire on me.

Oh yes it did, Big time! It is enough that you got opposite and totally unexpected reactions... more than one person had expressed her dissapointment with the things you said, while others tried telling you to take the blinders off because your religion isn't any different, some atheists/agnostics decided to rip all 3 monotheistic religions apart, and the rest disagreed with the concept of religion altogether. Bottom line is, not one single person agreed to jump on the bashing bandwagon you had started, and that by itself was a slap in the face.

6th-I responded back to your private message not to send me another message...Not because what you sent was upsetting, but because simply I do not like the person you are. I am glad you caught on not to send me another message and I am publically telling you not to send me another.

Are you being serious? No you did NOT respond to my private message, I dare you to post a still shot of the message you claim to have sent me. And sure you didn't like responding, however I doubt the reason is because "you don't like the person I am", or you wouldn't have continued replying to me publically with a pretend-friendly tonE.. "Gypsy I have got no prejudism against you or your religion *SMILE*".. "I am actually quite fascinated with your culture*.. "I was just comparing religions" ***Nonsense!*** There was absolutely no comparison in your post, just attacking the other and glorifying your own. I still think you should read my PM, incase it hasn't sunk in the first time ***************************************Does God approve of capital punishment?*********************** here is the link again, click on it, read it, memorize it or do whatever you got to do, I don't care, just pu-lease, lets get real for once!

7th-I am glad you are well traveled in the United States...Perhaps you should have paid more attention to customs and laws and such when you visited here...Then you would have a better understanding of what our country stands for.

Yes, I have travelled quite a lot, perhaps you should venture outside your bubble for a change and start paying more attention to the customs and laws of other people...then YOU would have a better understanding of what it means to be a World citizen.

Freedom and freedom of speech.

Start telling yourself that, and most importantly, start APPLYING IT instead of giving me rhetoric. Freedom-of-speech. Hmm.. Is this why you reported me a while ago for saying "bullshit" oops, sorry, inappropriate language... in a totally unrelated thread/discussion just because you got pissed off for what I said HERE? Sorry KuteNurse, but your actions negate your words.

8th-Kudos to you for not making comments on other religions, but you sure know how to degrade people on forums...

I am not the one going around telling people how abused they are and how much love they lack in their lives..

Especially after 3 months I dropped the subject until you once again brought me up again....You enjoy arguing and rehashing the topic.

Looks like I'm not the only one having difficulty reading names. I did not bring you up. Please read below and look at the NAME carefully. Interesting how the members that were defending you, even THEY think you've got a naive, one dimensional, sheltered way of thinking. Maybe this should tell you something...

Hi gypsy8522,

I feel that we got off on the wrong foot because I defended KuteNurse's right to express her honest opinion a while back. That is not because I agree with her on all (or even most!) things, but because I believe that hiding opinions so as not to offend just breeds more ignorance and separation. Frankly, I was disappointed with several of her opinions (how they seem not to change), and more importantly, her actions. But I think her honest response was valuable.

As I stated in my first post, I am sorry you have suffered abuse and you have been neglected of a loving atmosphere. I am sure many here would be willing to help you out including myself. Now, I will not argue anymore with you because it is not accomplishing anything other than hard feelings. I am sure you can see that also and you will stop the hurtful posts on this thread. You should focus that negative energy on other areas where you will be productive...I know that is what I will be doing. Have a good night.

KuteNurse, I think you should lessen the dose of Dr. Phil... you might feel a little better.

Last edited:

jenc

Please enough. We seem to have com to an impasse here. It was a fascinating thread (for various reasons - sometimes as much for an insight into western feelings as the purported subject) but it has now got lost in invective. It is pretty obvious that opinions of the 2 main protagonists are not going to change. A dignified silence would be best at this point.

Perhaps we should abandon this thread and start again when we have something new to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.