Azooza

Aisha Azar

Dear Gang,
I have a song on one of my CDs that I want to use for a shaabi dance. First, i need to make sure of the translation. There is only one verse in the song. The female singer says,
"Ma shirab shih chai, ashirab azooza ana."

I do not drink tea, I drink azooza"

My question is, what is azooza?

Regards,
A'isha

Aisha Azar

Dear Gypsy,
Thanks so much!! Is it a specific soft drink or can it mean any soft drink? (If I get too boring with questions, please feel free to tell me to go away!!)
Regards,
A'isha

Aisha Azar

Dear Lydia and Gypsy,
Is it a specific soft drink, then? One of my Arabic speaking friends said it means any soft drink even Coke or Pepsi. Do you have a different meaning for the word in other countries? I know it is pretty common for words to have a little different meaning from place to place.
Regards,
A'isha

gypsy8522

Azooza is a slang egyptian word, it actually means the bottle, and the refreshment (coke, pepesi, whatever), so it's both. The can is called 3elba. In Egypt if you buy a bottle you need to give it back in order to be recycled :) The cans are disposable.

Aisha Azar

Azooza is a slang egyptian word, it actually means the bottle, and the refreshment (coke, pepesi, whatever), so it's both. The can is called 3elba. In Egypt if you buy a bottle you need to give it back in order to be recycled :) The cans are disposable.

Dear Gypsy,
I want to thank you once again for telling me exactly what I want to know. You are a wonderful asset to this forum.
With warmest regards,
A'isha

Lydia

must try some when you go to cairo,ask for,, karkadee ,,aswell ...not in a bottle but yamy or,, tamarhindy,, tasty tasty on hot days!!

Yshka

Dear A'isha,

while searching for lyrics to another song I came across a translation of this song. Thought of you immediately and wanted to share:D. Credits go to Rasha from allthelyrics.com.

Mashrabsh Al Shai:

i drink azoza , i drink azoza . i drink azoza
i don't drink tea i drink azoza ,i don't drink tea i drink azoza
i drink azoza , i drink azoza

he gave me a fan and i gave him a fan(x2)
how sweet is your moring

but i don't drink tea
i drink azoza i drink azoza

he gave me an umbrella and i give him an umbrella(x2)
how sweet afternoon with you

but i don't drink tea

he gave me a Peach and i give him a Peach(x2)
how sweet is talking to you at night

but i don't drink tea

they said i have a Peach on my cheecks
they said why you made the guy weak

but i don't drink tea

Aisha Azar

Dear A'isha,

while searching for lyrics to another song I came across a translation of this song. Thought of you immediately and wanted to share:D. Credits go to Rasha from allthelyrics.com.

Mashrabsh Al Shai:

i drink azoza , i drink azoza . i drink azoza
i drink azoza , i drink azoza

he gave me a fan and i gave him a fan(x2)
how sweet is your moring

but i don't drink tea

he gave me an umbrella and i give him an umbrella(x2)
how sweet afternoon with you

but i don't drink tea

he gave me a Peach and i give him a Peach(x2)
how sweet is talking to you at night

but i don't drink tea

they said i have a Peach on my cheecks
they said why you made the guy weak

but i don't drink tea

Dear Yshka,
Thanks!! You are SUCH a sweetheart to think of me. I will print this off right away.
Hugs to you,
A'isha

Aisha Azar

This song is about sex hehe :)

I have the original by Leila Nazmi weeeeeeeeeee!

Dear Mark,
My dancers did an "Arabian MTV" style thing to the song last Fall. Our version has only the words "I don't drink tea, I drink Azooza", by Harem Angels, and it is VERY techno. I dressed them in little beaded and sequined dresses and high heels and did a lot of the movements that we see on Arabian Music television. I wrote a choreography that breaks half way through the song and they all get their bottles of azooza and finish the dance using the bottles as props to salute each other and the audience, strike Vogue poses and drink, and slip back into the choreography. It was pretty fun! I used my younger dancers and they were so darling!!
BTW, the CD has the absolute WORST version of Zourouni that I have ever had the displeasure to cover my ears during!!
Regards,
A'isha

Yshka

A'isha Azar said:
Dear Yshka,
Thanks!! You are SUCH a sweetheart to think of me. I will print this off right away.
Hugs to you,
A'isha

Dear A'isha, forgot to say you're very welcome!!! I've not heard the version by Harem Angels, I just know Marwa's. Your choreography does sound REALLY REALLY cute though!

Aisha Azar

azooza

Dear A'isha, forgot to say you're very welcome!!! I've not heard the version by Harem Angels, I just know Marwa's. Your choreography does sound REALLY REALLY cute though!

Dear Yshka,
It is on a compilation called "Beirut Biloma Basics". The ISBN is 0 946 347319 2 and it is put out by Virgin and Capitol music. Actually as I look at the songs, the group is actually called Angles of Harem. It features several different groups and artists and is okay, but not great. Thanks for the encouraging words about the choreography. We try to present a lot of fresh stuff in our shows along with traditional dance. Texture, Texture, Texture!!
Regards,
A'isha