Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default levels

Dear Aziyade,

If your students want levels and diplomas for achieving same, I guess there is no harm in creating them, the way my piano teacher did when I was a kid. We Westerners are trained to work for good grades, teacher/boss approval, diplomas, etc. We feel safer being judged this way, as opposed to developing and relying on own own judgment.

But you might point out to them that these are fun but really only symbolic, less rigorous than but similar perhaps to the colored belts in karate (Great story of a Westerner who went to study with karate master in Japan who kept asking "But when will I get the black belt?" Teacher finally just handed him one and said, "if this is all you came for, take it and leave now." )

In my opinion what dancers need to develop is their own ability to judge their own levels and what they need and want to improve. Layering shimmies? Finger cymbals? Karsilama? Folkloric? Deeper appreciation of the music, rhythms, culture? Better stage presence? More complex choreography? Time to choose and perfect their own drum solo? What style do they gravitate towards?

It's harder, but much more real.

My two cents.

P.S. Western hierarchical thinking is not only behind seeking graded levels of achievement but also behind emphasizing technique and the physical and also breaking dance down into moves, combos, drills, etc. in my opinion.

Cathy
    Last edited by cathy; 01-26-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: added P.S.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear daSage,
    .... I guess I never thought of my opinions about the nature of movement in belly dance to be the direct cause of need for divine intervention!!
    Regards,
    A'isha
    I'm not seeking divine intervention, so much as enlightenment. Perhaps I should have said Buddha!

Like I said, I'll be back later...maybe certain chemicals will help me "break on through" on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc.

Dear da Sage,
    One of the most frustrating things for me in just talking about dance is that I can not use my body to get what often needs to be danced in order to be recognized. If we were physically in the same room and I could demonstrate, you would see immediately what I mean!!
    Regards,
    A'isha

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

Well, I have just been hired by my local university to teach bellydance for credit. I am excited about it, but consider it exactly the same as when I teach bellydance in general. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, let me know. I tend not to be the Westernized type of dancer, and a lot of my education is teaching people to improvise and such.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brea View Post
    Hi all,

Well, I have just been hired by my local university to teach bellydance for credit. I am excited about it, but consider it exactly the same as when I teach bellydance in general. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, let me know. I tend not to be the Westernized type of dancer, and a lot of my education is teaching people to improvise and such.
    You should definitely talk to Cassandra, as she's been teaching a similar course at the U of M for some time. Plus, you already know her.

Congratulations, where will you be teaching?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear da Sage,
    One of the most frustrating things for me in just talking about dance is that I can not use my body to get what often needs to be danced in order to be recognized. If we were physically in the same room and I could demonstrate, you would see immediately what I mean!!
    Regards,
    A'isha
    At some point we must arrange this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc.

Dear da Sage,
    Let me know if you go West and I will let you know if I come East!
    Regards,
    A'isha

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi da Sage,

Oh yes! I had forgotten about Cassandra's U of M class. I'll email her. I'll be teaching at UWS in Superior.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Accreditation

Dear Brea,
    Congratulations!! On what are they basing the accreditation, and what qualifications do those who are accrediting the class have to decide what elements the class should have, etc.? I have taught belly dance at two different colleges and neither accredited the class. The classes could not be for credit because there was no basis on which to accredit them, not only because there was no standard teaching procedure as far as what should be learned but also because I do not have a degree that stands as a qualification for teaching it. On what basis did you receive accreditation for your course and where can we read your syllabus?

Dear da Sage,
    Do you know at which U of M Cassandra teaches an accredited class in belly dance, or Middle Eastern dance? I did not find her listed as on the dance program staff at U of M in Twin cities. I wanted to look at her class syllabus and could nor find her name listed there.

Regards to you both,
    A'isha
    Last edited by Aisha Azar; 01-27-2008 at 03:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Brea? Is the class you are teaching being offered through the P.E. Dept or through the same dept that offers theatre and other forms of dance. Furthermore, requirements for instructors in the P.E. Dept tend to be more relaxed than most other depts. Since it if being offered for credit, I'd say its not being offered as a free university class. Have fun and I'd say look at the length of the class, figure out the main things you want to cover and break it down that way.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast