Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Farasha! It was not only an experience but also a learning experience, huh? Now, more seriously, I do have a video of my very first performance, but we danced in a troupe, and I being so tall, was in the back row, so nothing too tragic there.

But all those stories from other dancers about their first performances... Maybe we could put together a booklet or something. To give chickadees (where on earth have you derived that word from, Zorba) a piece of good reading material to either prepare them for their first performance (or is it maybe a bit frightening?) or amuse them with good jokes after they've gotten off the stage?
    Last edited by Safran; 01-30-2008 at 11:40 AM. Reason: missed a verb

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Farasha ,it is a pitty that the video is not so clear but you have done a great job.
    Bravo!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maariku View Post
    But all those stories from other dancers about their first performances... Maybe we could put together a booklet or something. To give chickadees (where on earth have you derived that word from, Zorba) a piece of good reading material to either prepare them for their first performance (or is it maybe a bit frightening?) or amuse them with good jokes after they've gotten off the stage?
    Yes I think that might be too frightening considering the stage fright many people have to begin with...though it might be good if someone comes off stage for the first time thinking they didn't do so well...then pull out the videos and tell them they're not alone!

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on your first performance, Farasha Hanem, how awesome for you! And you looked totally lovely!

Here's wishing you many more years of performance!

Miranda

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

*hugs everyone with tears of happiness in eyes* Thank you, thank you, thank you soooo much, everyone. Your encouragement, support, and kind words mean the world to me. I don't think I can adequately express how much I love you all. Thank you all for believing in me.

Janaki, I couldn't believe it when you said that your first performance is like a baby's first steps, because that's exactly how I felt (and still feel!) How did you know what I was thinking? Yes, I still feel very wobbly, but I'm so excited, I feel like jumping out of my skin! Thank you Janaki, I promise to remember and cherish my "first baby bellydance" forever.

Maria, your warmth and support means so much; I admire and respect you greatly, and I hope when I "grow up," I'll be a credit to the world of bellydance.

Zorba, you must be another mind-reader! After our first performance, I thought the same thing: it was absolutely petrifying, and I wanted to do it again immediately! And thank you for making me feel comfortable talking about "girl stuff," you made me feel less self-conscious.

sstacy, thank you for sharing about your first performance with us. That's what's so wonderful about you all on the forum. We can share things like this and not be afraid of someone making us feel bad; instead, we lift one another up here and encourage each other. We can even share a laugh or two without hurt feelings.

Yshka, I am fast growing very fond of you. I love to read your posts, and I admire you so much. It was scary at first being up there performing for a group of strangers, but my teacher and my closest friend from class were both with me, and that gave me strength. I didn't know any of my teacher's friends from the other two troupes that performed with us, but they all made me feel so welcome, and they, too, gave me much encouragement, as well as some helpful pointers. I made so many new friends that day, and I hope to be able to perform with them again very soon (yes, I can hardly wait to perform again!).

maariku, you are so right, it really was a learning experience for me. And guess what? Even though I do have a C-Section scar and some stretch marks, I learned that I don't look quite as bad as I thought I did. I think this past weekend, I've learned to love and accept myself a little more than I did before.

Princess, thank you for your accolades, I appreciate them very much. *hugs!*

Auntie Crazy, thank you and everyone else for your warm and sincere compliments on my stage appearance, as well as performance. If you've read some of my previous posts, you know how I've been struggling to accept my body. And I do hope to perform for many years to come.

Once again, I want to say how very glad I am to be a part of this forum; thank you, everyone, for welcoming me with warm, loving arms (and for being a part of "birthing" another bellydance baby/chickadee!).
    Last edited by Farasha Hanem; 01-31-2008 at 04:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post

I learned that I don't look quite as bad as I thought I did. I think this past weekend, I've learned to love and accept myself a little more than I did before.
    That is just wonderful!
    Congratulations on your first performance and your emotional experience. I also like my body more now after taking up bellydance, even though I actually look worse having gained a lot of weight. It's all in the mind isn't it?!
    Last edited by gisela; 02-03-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling
    immer glimmer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    Zorba, you must be another mind-reader! After our first performance, I thought the same thing: it was absolutely petrifying, and I wanted to do it again immediately! And thank you for making me feel comfortable talking about "girl stuff," you made me feel less self-conscious.
    I wish I could claim credit for that - but I cannot. It came from one of my instructors - and it describes the situation perfectly!

As for "chickadee", I'm not sure where I got that. The Wikipedia definition (esp. #2): Chickadee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess I got the idea of little birds from the idea of all us scared beginners and first timers trailing behind our instructor like so many little ducks behind the momma duck or little chicks behind a hen, etc!

Which reminds me of the time we all were following our instructor, going onto the stage. A brand new Chickadee was right behind me. When she came out the stage door, and first saw the stage, she moaned "Oh GOD, I can't do this!". "Too late!" said the gal behind her and gently but firmly pushed her on out!

The Chickadee in question has since evolved into quite the accomplished soloist!

As for "girl stuff", no problem. I've heard and even participated in all kinds of "girl talk" - its inevitable for a guy in this business.
    Last edited by Zorba; 02-01-2008 at 06:10 PM.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome and congratulations! I bet you can't wait until your next performance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12