Help!Teaching my first class

Babylonia

I was asked to teach a bellydance class this Saturday at my YMCA. I'm excited and looking forward to the challenge even though it's very short notice. I'd love some advice/ encouragement from everyone. Since it's not a dance studio and the majority of dancers are seniors I want to keep it fun and safe. I know I want a good warm up, drills, little dancing probably a mix of simple choreography and improv, dancer's circle time and a cool down with some stretching.

I'd like to know how you keep your classes fresh and interesting. I'm worried that I'll have a brain freeze and just stand there saying "um' and "uh" and not have my music timed out right etc.

What tips would you give a first time teacher? What advice do you wish someone had given you? Is there anything you would have done differently?

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks. :)

Aisha Azar

Class

I was asked to teach a bellydance class this Saturday at my YMCA. I'm excited and looking forward to the challenge even though it's very short notice. I'd love some advice/ encouragement from everyone. Since it's not a dance studio and the majority of dancers are seniors I want to keep it fun and safe. I know I want a good warm up, drills, little dancing probably a mix of simple choreography and improv, dancer's circle time and a cool down with some stretching.

I'd like to know how you keep your classes fresh and interesting. I'm worried that I'll have a brain freeze and just stand there saying "um' and "uh" and not have my music timed out right etc.

What tips would you give a first time teacher? What advice do you wish someone had given you? Is there anything you would have done differently?

Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks. :)

Dear Babylonia,
I do a course in teacher training that is based on being in a state of awareness about the needs of the students. The stuff below is partly from the course.
How much time do you have to teach the class? That will make a difference in how you plan the class. In any case, I would introduce them to the fundamental movements and work from there. If you go about that in the usual way, it should take approximately 2 hours to really do a good introduction to the beginning concepts. Go in with a written plan, and give them copies of your notes, because that actual physical piece of paper they can refer to means a LOT to students. Choose music that is correct for your style, but make it simple musical choices so they can clearly hear the rhythms and melodies that you will be asking them to dance to. If you want to do a choreography, make it with only the fundamental movements, and give the ladies a written copy of it, also noting what the music is and where they can get it. Assume they are beginners and do not know anything about how the belly dance world works. Teach from a place of Student Awareness. Remember that your job is to be there for THEM. Give each person in the class some individual attention and be sure to point out when someone does something well along with making corrections. When you make corrections, be very precise about what you want them to change and say "Do this", instead of saying "Don't do that". That will make all the difference.
Regards,
A'isha

Last edited:

Eve

I was going to ask how long the class was as well :)

It's good to have a basic structure over what you want to do but don't be afraid of going to a plan B if things aren't going exactly to plan. You may find you spend more or less time on a particlar topic which messes up the neat plan A. So don't be afraid of that. I use a flexible structure. I come along with a couple of things I want to work on and that is the core of the lesson, if I need to go back some or move on if they really get it, I'm prepared for that.

Something I know that may sound completely dumb depending on what you had planned but you could throw in a few more simple moves to gauge the level of the class, I don't know if this is there first class or if you're standing in. This may give you an advance clue as what level to pitch to.

Best of luck:clap:

Hi Babylonia, Congratulations! If you are teaching a one time class, there is so much you can teach. Understand everyone has a different learning curve which is a complex mix of their enthusiasm, fitness levels and self consciousness. It may be challenging to teach a choreography especially if the students are non-dancers, it may easier to teach short combinations based on the moves that you teach. Music selection will probably be the first time that they have heard Arabic music...I would avoid Arabic pop and complex Om Kalthoum compositions. if you can explain what the song is about, this would be a plus.
As Aisha pointed out, teach from the student's awareness. I've had seniors in my classes and one of the things I've picked up is that they may have varying levels of health. Look out for movements originating from the joints, as your students may have issues with arthritis(knees, hips and fingers), prosthetic relacements(hips), old injuries of any kind. Pace your class to meet their needs. Be prepared to focus on one area if necessary, as opposed to rushing through your material. But most of all make it fun!!! Hey who knows you may be invited back!
Yasmine

Brea

Hi,

Generally I plot out every class in a notebook that I take with me (so I don't forget). Also, remember to take TIME with each basic move; it seems weird to do that now, but for these people it's their first time. Try not to rush it.

I believe teaching improv is the most essential part of this dance, because to accurately say you are belly dancing is to know improvisation. Choreography can come later. I personally believe in beginning with the understanding that bellydance is spontaneous; it gets everyone accustomed to the idea of this right out of the gate.

Babylonia

Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for the responses and encouragement. The class went well. I knew some of the women already because it's where I've been going for several years now and they were happy to see me get the opportunity. I had a list of moves to go over and even though I had originally wanted to do a choreography I didn't because I am more of an improv dancer. One of my teachers always stressed the importance of knowing your music so I played songs I was familiar with and just free styled it making sure I cued them ahead of time as to what was coming up. I took it nice and slow and wasn't as scared as I thought I would be. The job is pretty much mine and it's a nice feeling to get paid for your hobby. It's not much money but it will help to finance workshops and costumes. :)
Thanks again,
Babylonia

Kashmir

Not sure if this is an ongoing thing or a oncer. If it is ongoing, sit down and think about what the (say) six basic moves are that you want to teach. Then think about what skills are needed for each - eg pointless teaching a hip drop if they can't do a hip rock or an oriental circle without a slide. This will give you an idea of order. Don't plan to throw too much in at once - I am for one or two new moves each class. Repeat and build each week.

Now, think about how you will teach each move. Aim for one of each verbal, visual, kinesthetic. What muscles are involved? What imagery can you use? What progressions can you use to keep the better students challenged while drilling the basics for the others?

How can you play with the move - eg small combinations, structured improv, follow the bouncing butt.

Fillers - what other information will you impart? What about posture? arms? Can you show DVDs?

Finally, sit down and get really, really familiar with your music so when you have to redesign the class on the fly you immediately know that track 3 on CD XYZ is what you want :cool:

jenc

I wish some of you guys had been teaching me. Based on my experience I would say that many beginners want choreography because they want to feel safe. My beginners class taught one choreography over 20 weeks. Pretty well the only stuff we worked on every week would be a small segment of the dance. This was so boring. After 20 weeks I still couldn't remember the dance and I have been left with such an amount of stuff not covered. We were asked to improv once, but about week 3 when no one felt secure. One way to move them on would be to teach 2-3 moves then combine into short sequence, then dance to different music, different tempo, small/large, smooth, accented. Once they are used to this you could ask them for suggestions. how i wish I had done this from the start.
Jen

Brea

Jenc-

This seems to be a bizarre recent interpretation of how to teach belly dance. I agree with Babylonia's teacher...SO important to know your music, because improv is the heart and soul of this dance. Think about it- you can screw up a choreography but when you improvise there is nothing to screw up! I would generally plan a beginning and ending to each piece and then improv the rest of it. During the class I would also have my students dance their own improvisation using the taught moves by playing a song none of them had heard during the class (or possibly ever). THIS, I believe, is the most important drill, because it gets them accustomed to the kind of spirit live drummers bring to the dance (ie, the dance in its natural habitat).

I also did eventually teach a group choreography at the end, with the dancers who were solidly certain they wanted to be in the end-of-year recital. However, they were coming from a solid base of the dance as improvisation, and their solos were all danced improv onstage. It looked beautiful! I believe that teaching improv is the best first, because it is the basis of this dance.

jenc

I presume you mean how I was taught was bizarre, not my suggestions of how you could get the uptight British to start to improvise!!!

da Sage

Hey Babylonia, way to go!

If you have any tips on how to teach seniors, I would love to hear them.

My mother teaches line dancing to seniors, and when she was finally able to get to a certification course, they told her not to start them out with grapevines, as they might not be flexible enough for them at the beginning of class - if you do grapevines, wait until the middle of class (after they're warmed up), and go slowly at first. I mention this because most of my BD classes have included grapevines at some point.;)

Jane

seniors

Hey Babylonia, way to go!
Trimmed...

If you have any tips on how to teach seniors, I would love to hear them.

I occasionally sub the seniors cardio circuit and a seniors yoga class through a national program. In our certification training, they stress senior specifics that sound very stereotyped, so not all these will apply to every senior. My dad won't take the class, he says it's full of "old people"! :lol: He *is* old people, but only chronologically.

Here's some stuff, in no real order, they have us do with seniors that translate to a BD class:

- make sure they have a docs permission to excercise

- maintain direct eye contact. teach facing the class, not facing a mirror.

- don't spin fast or have the student's backs to you. keep senior students facing you. avoid rotational and multi-focal choreography. maintain the eye contact.

- minimal traveling

- verbally cue more loudly than you normally would and physically cue as well. give plenty of warning when changing movements or sides, but don't change to fast. fast changes, especially in footwork, can be a fall risk.

- being aware of specific individual's physical limitations

- get first aid certified, seniors are a high risk group

- using a lower volume of music that's more classical in scope, not pop or hip-hop sounding. only go up to about 128 BPM

- not a lot of change, many of them dislike any change in routine (and boy do they let you know it!)

- low impact

- encourage seniors to count with you. this forces them to breath.

- encourage hydration

- student chair options: can remain seated or use a chair for support. teachers teach from a standing position

- allow seniors to wear whatever shoes they need, many seniors have special foot support needs

- watch seniors for hyperflexion and hyperextension of the joints. Don't let them go beyond:
neck 30 degrees
shoulder joint 180 degrees
wrist 90
forward hip flex 45 degrees
lumbar spine at the waist 30 degrees

- watch for overuse of a joint or muscle group

- never let seniors do squats, deep knee bends, sustained shoulder aduction

- I'd start seniors with a 45 min class time.

I wish some of you guys had been teaching me. Based on my experience I would say that many beginners want choreography because they want to feel safe. My beginners class taught one choreography over 20 weeks. Pretty well the only stuff we worked on every week would be a small segment of the dance. This was so boring. After 20 weeks I still couldn't remember the dance and I have been left with such an amount of stuff not covered. We were asked to improv once, but about week 3 when no one felt secure. One way to move them on would be to teach 2-3 moves then combine into short sequence, then dance to different music, different tempo, small/large, smooth, accented. Once they are used to this you could ask them for suggestions. how i wish I had done this from the start.
Jen
At our school we TRY to place an emphasis on improvisation to the music. Ours is a 12 week beginner A and B course. Each time I teach a class I focus on the students so each class will always be different! Although I understand how reluctant many students feel about improv. There is a fear of letting oneself 'go' and being self-consciuos of the other students around them. However as a teacher, I must teach according to certain principles and not always on the expectations of the students. In other words, If I shy away from teachig improv...then the students will never develop the sense of musicality and free style expression. If I only taught choreography, they will become dependent on the facade of the dance rather than it's true essence. If I didn't provide some level of challenge(according to their abliity) then the student will stagnate and not develop the holistic approach that this dance demands. I know that students DO NOT practice the lessons that are taught, but yet they expect the teacher to pour the knowldege into their brains and bodies. It just doesn't work that way. Practice creates the kinetic memory necessary for success, however many adult students don't get this concept and I can see the frustraton in their eyes.
Yasmine

I occasionally sub the seniors cardio circuit and a seniors yoga class through a national program. In our certification training, they stress senior specifics that sound very stereotyped, so not all these will apply to every senior. My dad won't take the class, he says it's full of "old people"! :lol: He *is* old people, but only chronologically.

Here's some stuff, in no real order, they have us do with seniors that translate to a BD class:

- make sure they have a docs permission to excercise

- maintain direct eye contact. teach facing the class, not facing a mirror.

- don't spin fast or have the student's backs to you. keep senior students facing you. avoid rotational and multi-focal choreography. maintain the eye contact.

- minimal traveling

- verbally cue more loudly than you normally would and physically cue as well. give plenty of warning when changing movements or sides, but don't change to fast. fast changes, especially in footwork, can be a fall risk.

- being aware of specific individual's physical limitations

- get first aid certified, seniors are a high risk group

- using a lower volume of music that's more classical in scope, not pop or hip-hop sounding. only go up to about 128 BPM

- not a lot of change, many of them dislike any change in routine (and boy do they let you know it!)

- low impact

- encourage seniors to count with you. this forces them to breath.

- encourage hydration

- student chair options: can remain seated or use a chair for support. teachers teach from a standing position

- allow seniors to wear whatever shoes they need, many seniors have special foot support needs

- watch seniors for hyperflexion and hyperextension of the joints. Don't let them go beyond:
neck 30 degrees
shoulder joint 180 degrees
wrist 90
forward hip flex 45 degrees
lumbar spine at the waist 30 degrees

- watch for overuse of a joint or muscle group

- never let seniors do squats, deep knee bends, sustained shoulder aduction

- I'd start seniors with a 45 min class time.
I agree 100%
Yasmine

Jane

improv

If you ask beginners to improv, your class looks at you like this:

:shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok:

I wait until they have a basic choreo down so they have some movement vocabulary and transitions to draw on. I save improv for our cool down toward the end of class. They are more in the zone at that point. I turn the lights out and sometimes leave the room or go through papers for a short while, so they don't feel inhibited or that I'm looking at them critically. For the very nervous, veils are like security blankets. We play a lot of improv games, it's more fun and gives them something to focus on while they let the rest go, kind of like meditation. My favorites are:

- your feet are stuck to the floor
- musical statues
- dance while sitting in a chair
- you can't use your favorite move
- combo telephone
- restaurant dancer
- dance with eyes closed
- mirroring with a partner

da Sage

Here's some stuff, in no real order, they have us do with seniors that translate to a BD class

Thanks, Jane! What an incredibly useful list!