Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

How about forming a belly dance practice/study group with one or more classmates? Admittedly, this is kind of hard, because of conflicting schedules and driving times, and it takes discipline to keep it reasonably 'studious' (as opposed to it becoming a mini-party - ask me how I know this, lol), but it's an interesting option, especially if you can get people who has studied, or is studying with other teachers.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Zurah View Post
    How about forming a belly dance practice/study group with one or more classmates? Admittedly, this is kind of hard, because of conflicting schedules and driving times, and it takes discipline to keep it reasonably 'studious' (as opposed to it becoming a mini-party - ask me how I know this, lol), but it's an interesting option, especially if you can get people who has studied, or is studying with other teachers.
    Hey that sounds like a great idea! Even party part sounds fab.....

Hey da Sage, You are a star! Dance journal is JUST WHAT I NEED!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Porcelaine, you sound exactly like me! I also have to pay for college and about 90% of my income goes toward tuition and books. The rest is for food, bus passes, and bellydance. I agree with all the suggestiongs posted before me. A dance journal is an excellent idea, especially for workshops. With notes, you can practice what you learned in a 4 hour session for months. And boy does this work! I attended a Zoe Jakes workshop crammed with information and my notes helped me remember the combos and her concepts of flow. Anyways, like others said, invest in videos that will give you the best bang for you buck. If you are a beginniner, I recommend Jenna's Basics and beyond as well as her Drum solo dvd. She has over 2 hours of content in each dvd, ranging from technique, choreography, and performance. If you like Egyptian style like I do, consider investing performance dvds to best understand the "essence" and cultural context of Egyptian Raqs Sharqi. The Legends of Bellydance and the Bellydancers of Cairo are excellent dvds on this art while being affordable.

I also recommend buying dvds on ebay and looking through tribe.net's Bellyswap tribe. You can find great deals when fellow dancers start cleaning out their closets.

I hope you succeed with your dance journey. Perhaps we might bump into each other at workshops since I'm also living in the fabulous city of Chi-town.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been said here already but the KEY thing to spend your money on is CLASSES.

Check your library for CDs and DVDs.

Don't spend money on costume parts. As a baby dancer I probably easily spent $1000 on crap -- Indian "costume" parts that didn't match, and a hip scarf in every color. You don't need it.

Invest in a couple of pairs of yoga pants and some tank tops. You can wrap pretty much any scrap piece of material around your hips if you want to.

While having all the bling is FUN, you don't need it if you can't afford it. When in doubt, put your training ahead of everything.

(I can't count the number of times I've heard people say "I can't afford classes" -- but then they talk about the costume they bought from Dahlal!!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12