Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I in the right place?! :)

Hello,
    My name is Monica and I have NEVER done belly dancing. However, I am wanting to start a class in my area in March (when we have some extra cash). I have been interested in trying belly dancing for many many years and have only seen the performances at our local Ren Faire. I have never had the guts to venture out on such a limb for me but since marrying such a wonderful husband, I now do. I have been working out trying to loose some of the baby weight and get my strength up. The only BD that I have tried is a video on cable from Fit TV. They make it looks o easy but I am SO lost. I am really looking forward to getting into a class in march and have already contacted the instructor (who I think is AWESOME!). Anyway hi! Any advice to a real real real newbie would be appreciated!!

Monica

BTW what do people wear to their first class? yoga clothes? hip scarves, the instructor said I would need Zills, so whats a good cheap beginners set? Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Sorechia!

*hug*
    It is awesome that you decided to start dancing and also to join the forums!

To class you should wear something comfortable I normally would wear tracksuit pants and a top. Later on I was wearing a shawl with a fringe (now busy making a hipscarf). Some teachers do not mind long skirts!

It would surely feel a bit awkward at first, but it also becomes addictive (both dancing and forums) and is lots of fun!!!!

Also make sure you pop on youTube- there is lost of performances, trailers of bellydance DVDs and even beginners lessons( have to be careful about these though!)

Also scavange on this forum.... there is PLENTY of info!

I am really excited for you and hope to see lots of posts from you!

Love and hugs,
    reen.blom

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome Sorechia! Your appreciation about Ďmaking it look easyí is correct, getting to learn this dance properly can be difficult, but Iím sure youíll love every second (everyone does, inevitably), and youíll find itís well worth the effort.

As for your q about first lesson, tees, yoga pants, or sweats are good (better to wear something tight and stretchy, so your teacher can better see your legs and knees and correct posture if necessary). Coin hipscarves can be tempting, but some can be expensive (and some can be poor quality AND expensive), so you might want to just get a nice regular scarf to tie around hips to start. Iím no expert on zils myself, but I was quite satisfied with my Turquoise set Ė they werenít cheap, but I didnít find them expensive for the quality, either; anyway, Iím sure someone will come in with more tips on that.

Welcome, and happy posting!

Post Thanks / Like

What a lovely enthusiastic post! Welcome Sorechia, and you are definitely in the right place.

You're doing the right thing finding a class - there's no substitute for a real live teacher telling you when you have (and haven't ) got it. What everyone else said about classwear. Something round your hips, even just an ordinary scarf or piece of fabric, is a big help because it helps you focus on how your hips are moving.

If you haven't already found it, Shira's website is a great resource. I think there's some zill info on there too - can't offer any advice there as I've got my first ever workshop with them on Sunday and my eBay cheapies might be condemned as pieces of scrap metal .

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to right place

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks!!

WoW yall are awesome!! Thanks so much for the advice!!! I hope to post on here frequently esp when I start classes!! Thanks so much for the warm welcome!

Monica

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin Welcome!

The ladies here are awesome, aren't they? I joined this forum late last year, and there are some truly wonderful people here, so I know you're bound to make some good friends. Best wishes to you, and if you ever need help, all you have to do is ask! *hugs*

Post Thanks / Like

If your teacher does not sell zills, you can buy them online or locally:
    The Belly Dance Shop - Products

$15-$20 is about right for your first pair of zills.

Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Funny that you linked the belly dance shoppe. That is the shop owned by the teacher I am wanting to take classes from!! Thanks for the info!!

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't a coincidence...I knew they were located in Charlotte, same as you!
    Let me know how you like the classes, I hope to drop in on one or two the next time I am in the area.